Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Much like SSR, they do ray-marching against the screen depth-buffer to find ocluder for whatever light you are shadowing.
Of course, like sebbbi said, a game relying entirely on them would have quite horrible artifacts. Yet when already using regular shadowmaps, they can be a good complementary source of contact shadows and shadows for small occluders.

One great thing about them, in my opinion, is they allow you to icrease the bias of your shadowmaps, reducing acne, without worrying about peter-panning.
Also, a common cause of shadow pop-in (or fade-in) is foliage. As rendering alpha tested geometry in your shadow buffer can be expensive, and for a blocky and shimmery end result anyway, many engines skip these objects at further cascades. So when you aproach, say, a large grass field or a group of bushes, they suddenly fade into a darker shade at a certain distance because they've crossed the line between a shadow map cascade that ignored them and one that doesn't. Its one of the most obvious and typical LOD artifacts for folliage, and its not even caused by the folliage LOD itself, but shadow's ( if you allow me to call cascaded sm a form o LODing) Well, SSsadows can make those transition MUCH less obvious and jarring, and it shows in this demo. It probably allows them to skip rendering more objects into shadow buffers than they normally would, buying back some perf.
Since they are using U4, and its folliage tech does some trickery to fake depth discontinuities on large sheets of tree leaves to also improve LOD transitions, that might also help their SSshadows as well!
Thats whats great about certain combinations of rendering tech, they start playing off of each other for greater agregate effect.

Last edited:
That looks better, although the constant running away while stopping (why? if you can run away, just keep running!) may have been presented poorly.
Yeah, there seems no point to stopping unless you're cornered but I suspect just looking at a guys arse as he hightails it though and over a building would make for a dull video. Especially when you can show 200+ zombie dudes charging at you every 20 seconds.

I

Saw implementation of SS Shadows in old good DOS days in a demo which friend did, sadly I cannot remember the name of their group. (It was used in shadowed face mesh scene, great way to hide the limitations of the tech.)
Funny how old tricks and ideas come back almost ~15 years later. :D

Hello guys,

I watched the trailer lately and noticed it's playstation only like a lot of good games nowadays. I've had all xbox and playstation consoles so far apart from the newest ones (xbox1 and ps4), but i'm most definitely buying a ps4 for god of war alone. Anyway, let me get to the point :). I was wondering though if there's support out there for using a mouse + keyboard on a playstation to play these sort of games. After watching the gameplay trailer from days gone i got frustrated having to watch a guy struggle turning around to run away or to shoot a few zombies (and missing half of his shots at targets running in a straight line).

I prefer using a mouse to look around. Using a controller is like writing with your left hand when you're right handed... It just doesn't work well. I know this could be a sensitive issue to some so don't take this the wrong way. I just want to know if it's somehow possible to hook up a mouse + keyboard to play this game.

I'm pretty sure you can use a KB/M on console, but you need an adapter. Not sure if it's compatible with all games either... haven't really looked into it. All I know is some Destiny players/twitch streamers use KB/M.

edit: The XIM4 seems to be a popular adapter, but it's not exactly cheap.

Thanks for the info anyway, i'll look into that adapter a bit. I'm a big zombie-game lover, so this one looks amazing to me, but playing it with a controller would take almost all the fun out of it :'(...

PS4 nativley supports keyb & mouse, but only for OS/Browser/MMOs. Not in games. There are some custom solutions for using keyb/mouse "emulation" on consoles either via hardware [adapter] or via software [emulated on PC and then sent to PS4].

I am not the only one to like the presentation of the game. They are not zombies. They are freakers (living creature).

Like the horde like in World war z too.

I hope this releases this year. To be honest, its all "new" to look forward to currently, IMHO. Everything else is a rehash, remake, sequel, reboot, reskinning, etc etc..

The graphics of this game is very underrated here, it's actually rendering a shit load of gepmetry, very dense foliage, volumetric lighting, nicely animated zombie horde and long draw distance etc, the HDR version was apparently beyond stunning. Can't wait to see more of it at E3.

Yeah, this game has to win the race against TLOU2. In an optimal case, it can even profit from the TLOU2 hype imo, if PR done smartly...

I didn't think this and TLOU2 were even in the same general launch window. Isn't DG a 2017 game? When is TLOU2 meant to be out?

I'm confident TLOU isn't comming out so soon.
Also, Days Gone could even steal some of TLOU thunder for certain players. ND is already getting on some people's nerves with their over-directing and linearity, while Days Gone is open-world.

I'm confident TLOU isn't comming out so soon.
Also, Days Gone could even steal some of TLOU thunder for certain players. ND is already getting on some people's nerves with their over-directing and linearity, while Days Gone is open-world.

I'm really conflicted. Some days I think I'd surprised if TLOU2 came out this year then I remember it's been in development around three years now, and sure Uncharted 4 was only last year but that was a calendar year late. Other days a 2018 release (4+ years) feels like a crazily long development cycle for a single game for Naughty Dog. This happened with Uncharted for PS3 but PS3 had system architectural challenges that PS4 does not.

I think DG and TLOU2, despite being zombie-like post-apocalyptic games, are very different and will probably appeal to different games although both appeal to me because it's a genre I really appreciate when it's done well. We know DG is an open world action game whereas TLOU2 will probably be an iteration of the original survival horror but I'd enjoy more open environments like what Naughty Dog delivered in U4. Two zombie-like post apocalyptic games in the same year would definitely be overkill and I think TLOU2 will take priority. If it's ready to ship, Sony will ship it first. If it's not ready and DG is then TLOU2 will get a grace period of polishing.

The end of 2017 was already looking insane but Red Dead Redemption 2 predictability slipping has given everybody an incentive to crunch and ship. Plus there is Spider-Man. Where the hell is Sony's Spider-Man!?!? :runaway:

This year really is like... :runaway:

I think the games are gonna be different enough, but its still comercially wise for them not to launch to close to one another.
I still think DG inicially at least, looks, superficially too similar to TLOU for its own good. I also think TLOU can be a great game while still being linear. If it just manages to live up, gameplay wise, to the actual vision for the first game, it would already be pretty impressive.

EDIT: I had posted the wronf video the first time.

Last edited:
Back