Days Gone [PS4] (Sony Bend)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by goonergaz, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

world war Z has bigger hordes, but the graphics are simplier, and don't know about the AI behavior.

2. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

I wouldn't describe WWZ as being simpler. It's different and has the advantage (IMO) of running on a custom in-house engine unlike Days Gone.

High Zombie Throughput in Modern Graphics:
    https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentatio...high-zombie-throughput-in-modern-graphics.pdf

Enabling Real-Time Light Baking Workflows in Saber Engine with AMD Radeon Rays:
    https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentations/2019/gdc-2019-s1-enabling-light-baking-workflows.pdf

Karamazov likes this.
  3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Nice, so 300 "real" zombies for gameplay purposes, and 5K background non interactive zombies.

4. vspectra

Newcomer

5. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

they really did an amazing job with ground detail

6. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

It's also not an open world game.

milk likes this.
  7. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah, i didn't know that before my comment but the game seems to have a lot of bugs and a very poor AI...

I agree but the crowd is far less dynamic in those games.

Most of of time, you see hundreds of rather static characters. I've never seen something like in Days Gone before.

8. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Agreed. Sometimes they would all move in exactly the same way like they were line dancing or doing the macarena, all very close to each other. Creepy.

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  9. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Man, this game totally goes places, even if I do have to call foul on the inclusion of fireflies in one scene.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This game is too damn long and not in a good way. I've put in around 30 hours and just hit a mission where I'm warned that proceeding will lock me out of the territories in which I've been playing in thus far. A quick google shows there are 15-20 more hours left and ideally I don't want to proceed now, I really need to grind another 4,000 trust to buy my last weapon and bike upgrades which probably take a couple of hours.

The basic gameplay mechanics are great but there are around 100 missions, some of which have you riding somewhere (burning fuel) where somebody will says three words (no exaggeration), then you drive back where you were via somewhere you can find fuel.

WTF game, seriously, WTF. :mad2: Everybody has a damn radio! The main story has me intrigued but a lot of these time-wasting missions are just AWFUL. That stuff is just NOT FUN.

11. milk

Veteran Regular

I was intrigued by the moment the protagonist goes indoors and stands by a window. His movement there affects the GI bounced light into the wall. It's not common to see dynamic objects affect GI in modern games. @Graham, can you share what is the GI solution in here? It seems to be voxel based, but it is surprising that it's that dynamic!

12. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

secret foxels

13. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

^^ what Al said

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I thought everyone knew Sony's Cinematic Forests are composed by Foxel companions.

15. DSoup

DSoup meh

I didn't notice this much when exploring the map but when you work through missions, particularly some of the main story missions, this can get really bad. I've now encountered several chains of driving somewhere, then a 20-second load for a 10 second video, then a 20-second load, then 10 seconds of gameplay, then another 20-second load for a 30 second cutscene then another load for another cutscene.

It's difficult to comprehend how some of the missions were put together when you play this. Some cutscenes are loooong, then you get two or more short ones with loading between them. But yanking you out of gameplay for a really short cutscene is pretty bad. I wonder why they can't stream the video and play it realtime without the loading either side. :???:

The other thing the game does during story missions is that thing where it only lets you half-play the game, for example you can't run or access any of your inventory and it become a bit of a walking simulator. You just get used to this then it'll do this in a missions where there are enemies so now you can access you weapons but you can't run or crouch. Then missions where you need to ride with a companion on your bike. Sometimes you have full control, can jump off, loot and refuel, other times you can't and other times you just have to hold R2. It feels very inconsistent.

These irritations aside, what I've played so far has been great.

I must be around 35-40 hours in and I've had my first game mission to fight a horde and it was GREAT! :mrgreen: Until this point, hordes have been a dynamic real world threats you could avoid by being observant.

I still think the game is way too long and that's without me grinding reputation/credits to get the best weapon and bike upgrades.

16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Because Unreal Engine, no?

17. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Doesn't use pre-recorded videos, fwiw

DSoup and BRiT like this.
  18. DSoup

DSoup meh

Thanks, that explains that.

19. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Rolled credits last night! I really loved the game. Fighting a horde deep in a lava cave was one of the most terrifying and thrilling experiences I've had in a game.

DSoup likes this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

The game is on sale this week for $40.