Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Looks great.

It may looks uninspiring because there have been many zombie games including a similar one coming from the same company in not many months for now (if the leak is confirmed) and this game has bad marketing in the beginning.

Another problem this game has is association with other blockbuster first titles that have set the bar. People are probably expecting another GOW or HZD or SM or Uncharted. And of course parallels with TLoU which is getting a new game soon.

I think people need to temper there expectations. It will be Bend studios first AAA game, if they get 80 even high 70's metacritic it will be a good achievement.

Of what I've seen it looks like a solid enjoyable game.

Micro management like filling up the gas, repair, etc are kinda throwing me off, these are the kind of things that tend to break my experience. I just want to explore the world freely without getting hindered by these things. Oh well, on foot it is then.
Other than that I got no issues with it.

All they need to do to stick out in the Sony lineup is to be more like Dead Rising than TLoU, i.e. keep your cinematic ambitions in check and focus on compelling gameplay systems instead. If they get the survival aspects right, the gameplay in this could potentially be very cool.

So what if she escaped dressed up in the hazmat suit then at the end you either shoot yourself or let her shoot you.

I don't know if the game will be awesome or not, but it seems they're trying ... I mean, they had / have the time, the ressources... Maybe too much ambition at the start, and they're falling back on a more classic action / zombie game ? I'm curious about how the story and the narration.

I don't know if the game will be awesome or not, but it seems they're trying ... I mean, they had / have the time, the ressources... Maybe too much ambition at the start, and they're falling back on a more classic action / zombie game ? I'm curious about how the story and the narration.

I'm getting quite excited for Days Gone. I've been ambivalent on it until recently, particularly the videos of 200+ enemies on screen but now the game is closer I am consuming more coverage, like the video above, and I can see that these huge combat encounters are not representative of the moment-to-moment gameplay for the most part, that there's a lot of variety in encounters and mechanics I really do enjoy, like scavenging, crafting, survival, sneaking and improving my abilities, are core to the game.

I'm looking forward to reviews before release to see if this really my type of game but it has my full attention.

I'm getting quite excited for Days Gone. I've been ambivalent on it until recently, particularly the videos of 200+ enemies on screen but now the game is closer I am consuming more coverage, like the video above, and I can see that these huge combat encounters are not representative of the moment-to-moment gameplay for the most part, that there's a lot of variety in encounters and mechanics I really do enjoy, like scavenging, crafting, survival, sneaking and improving my abilities, are core to the game.

I'm looking forward to reviews before release to see if this really my type of game but it has my full attention.

I hope it delivers, it looks good from the videos...fingers still crossed!

Not really hyped by what I've seen so far. If my impression is wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll certainly buy if the reviews express that: it's not focussing as much on the zombie stuff as it look, it's not a pale immitation of TLoU, and the characters are likeable and complex.

Not really hyped by what I've seen so far. If my impression is wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll certainly buy if the reviews express that: it's not focussing as much on the zombie stuff as it look, it's not a pale immitation of TLoU, and the characters are likeable and complex.

There were a bunch of previews released around 6 March that went under my radar which, in the round, were very positive and There is a resetera thread which has gathered all of these in one place, along with a bunch of articles with the devs. Since revealing the game in 2016 and allowing media to play it in pre-alpha stage in 2017 it has undergone a bunch of changes, including rewriting the main character.

I also wasn't that interested in this, like milk said, it looked quite a derivative take on the zombie-esque survival horror but with loads of shooting. But having watched and read a bunch of previews I am really looking forward to final reviews.

Here in early 2019 I think you really do need to be quite a fan of the genre to muster enthusiasm because it's been done so much over the last few years with more to come. Dead Rising, State of Decay 1 and 2, The Last of Us (with a sequel due), Dying Light (with a sequel due), Resident Evil and plenty of indie games as well, not to mention sci-fi-post-apocalypse games like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Despite a lot of the coverage focussing on the massive swarms and hordes, Days Gone looks like a pretty grounded zombie survival scavenger stealthy game with skill trees and the environmental systems look fun to play with.

There were a bunch of previews released around 6 March that went under my radar which, in the round, were very positive and There is a resetera thread which has gathered all of these in one place, along with a bunch of articles with the devs. Since revealing the game in 2016 and allowing media to play it in pre-alpha stage in 2017 it has undergone a bunch of changes, including rewriting the main character.

I also wasn't that interested in this, like milk said, it looked quite a derivative take on the zombie-esque survival horror but with loads of shooting. But having watched and read a bunch of previews I am really looking forward to final reviews.

Here in early 2019 I think you really do need to be quite a fan of the genre to muster enthusiasm because it's been done so much over the last few years with more to come. Dead Rising, State of Decay 1 and 2, The Last of Us (with a sequel due), Dying Light (with a sequel due), Resident Evil and plenty of indie games as well, not to mention sci-fi-post-apocalypse games like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Despite a lot of the coverage focussing on the massive swarms and hordes, Days Gone looks like a pretty grounded zombie survival scavenger stealthy game with skill trees and the environmental systems look fun to play with.
Do they ? I think they should put more emphasis on the actual story, and less on the the world open world systems.

What's the pitch ? Is there a compelling story ? Yes ? Where is the teaser of that promising story ?

From the start their markerting is 100% focused on Zombies (well they don't call them like that duh) + open world + great dynamic systems and I think that's a mistake because those don't look that fun to me (game seems less fun than either Far Cry or Dying light).

I can't recall one piece of a story and remember one interesting character (main character included) from what I have watched so far. For instance, for Far Cry they usually put the emphasis on the main villain (or villains) and the fun gameplay (not the technical achievement), and it works. Here the emphasis, even on the game box, is the zombie* horde.

*it looks like a zombie, it walks / runs like a zombie, it behaves like a zombie, ergo, it's a zombie.

How much can be done with a zombie story? I think it's a pretty tired genre at the moment. For a computer game, I can see the framework of the game-verse being more about setting up a meaningful structure to the gameplay elements. It provides a 'credible' threat in a world that's gone to pot where you have to scavenge etc. If those elements are good (haven't watched any media; no interest) then I can see why DSoup et al would get excited and I can't blame them. If you want a great zombie story without caring as much about the game mechanics, there's an excess of zombie stories across all media to satisfy.

Back