David Kirk Interview

Interesting interview.

I must say, though, that the translation becomes quite funny when the languages have so different syntaxes and semantics.. :)

"The negative element is too multi."

"Therefore, it is simple to estimate something happens."

Makes me want to learn the altavista japanesenglish language fluently.. :)

With regards
Kjetil.

General note: if it seems as though I can never stick to the topic, you may be right. please feel annoyed to whatever extent possible, but be quiet about it (never argue with an idiot - he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience)..

With that said, you'll soon realize that mr. Kirk has become my hero after this interview:
Reffering to a question for mr.Kirk at SIGGRAPH regarding GFFX complete DM support, watch.impress states : You said without answering to the question directly, as follows. "With programmable architecture as for funny thing, for the person not to think, it is to be able kind of."
Now, that is off topic...

I particularly like the translated phrase :

'yield aegagropila badness passes'

It makes it sound more like he's discussing his hemorrhoids than graphics hardware. :LOL:

As far as I can discover aegagropila is not even a word, so I don't know where the translator got it from...

"aegagropila" is a word that means some sort of "ball form" aggregate of algae. It seems to be appreciated in Japanese culture for aesthetic reasons, and I think therefore its use there is some sort of cultural reference...whether it alludes to "ball", "perfection", or some more profound abstract concept associated with their appreciation I have no real idea, but atleast you have a starting point now...

;)

Search engines are your friend. :p

EDIT: wow, my typing is horrible lately. The original is captured for posterity already.

Kaizer said:
"With programmable architecture as for funny thing, for the person not to think, it is to be able kind of."
Now, that is off topic...

The sad thing is his PR speak makes about as much sense in Japanese translation as he does in plain English.

interesting, thanks for posting it.

hard to make out a lot, but it seems we can expect NV35 in 2003 and then NV40 in 2004. 200+ million transistors is coming, but can't tell if that's for NV35 or NV40. (most likely NV40) perhaps NV40 will be on the 0.09 process.

demalion said:
"aegagropila" is a word that means some sort of "ball form" aggregate of algae. It seems to be appreciated in Japanese culture for aesthetic reasons, and I therefore its use there is some sort of cultural reference...whether it alludes to "ball", "perfection", or some more profound abstract concept associated with their appreciation I have no real idea, but atleast you have a starting point now...

;)

Search engines are you friend. :p

Thanks for that - so basically he's talking a load of balls? (Algae balls that is...)

andypski said:
Thanks for that - so basically he's talking a load of balls? (Algae balls that is...)

IMHO it's just a mistranslation. I didn't read anything similar to algae balls in the Japanese text... that sentence can be roughly translated into "yeilds rate is low too."

andypski said:
I particularly like the translated phrase :

'yield aegagropila badness passes'

It makes it sound more like he's discussing his hemorrhoids than graphics hardware. :LOL:

ROTFLMAO! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That whole translation made as much sense as.... well...it didn't really make much sense at all. :-? All I got out of that for sure was the NV35 will be out sometime in 2003 (probably Dec. 31th 2003) and the NV40 will be out sometime in 2004 (again..probably Dec. 31th 2004). :eek:

Seems the R400 will OWN in 2003 and the R450 will OWN in 2004. Any questions?

R300King! said:
That whole translation made as much sense as.... well...it didn't really make much sense at all. :-? All I got out of that for sure was the NV35 will be out sometime in 2003 (probably Dec. 31th 2003) and the NV40 will be out sometime in 2004 (again..probably Dec. 31th 2004). :eek:

Just a suggestion: such fanboi posts really aren't appreciated here. And your username won't exactly win people over, either. Try to be a little more open-minded and fair.

R300King! said:
All I got out of that for sure was the NV35 will be out sometime in 2003 (probably Dec. 31th 2003) and the NV40 will be out sometime in 2004 (again..probably Dec. 31th 2004). :eek:

We don't even have a date on when NV30 hits the streets, yet you already know dates for not only NV35, but NV40 also. WOW! Can I borrow your crystal ball once you're done with it please? I need to find out which stocks to buy over the next year or so.

Question would be, what made you so sure NV35/40 would not hit until end of december 03/04? And also, what made you so sure ATI would "OWN" for two years straight. Other than sheer, utter fanboiism, that is of course. Do you have ANYTHING in the way of fact to suggest this to be the case?

Let me remind you, according to the latest sales figures (though I suppose they're starting to get a bit stale now), Nvidia still owns ATI btw, NV30 delay-debacle or not.

*G*

Grall said:
Let me remind you, according to the latest sales figures (though I suppose they're starting to get a bit stale now), Nvidia still owns ATI btw, NV30 delay-debacle or not.

*G*

*cough* *choke* [action]clears throat[/action] For a sec all I saw was "nvidia still owns ATI" of course after I read the full paragraph it come clear. Sales figures are one thing but technologically speaking of course ATi is doing the "owning". There are no recent sales figures at all, in fact the most recent appraisal is for market share last spring, in which case "stale" is a bit of an understatement. I also know that in one of Nvidia CCs recently that nvidia CEO suggested that ATi had indeed put pressure on their sales. As for how much it is really hard to say. I would still expect that substantial market share is in nvidias favor yet, but ATi is really on a role now. I suspect if this continues not only will ATi "own" technologically speaking but also begin to "own" some of Nvidias market share. Ouch.

pcchen said:
andypski said:

IMHO it's just a mistranslation. I didn't read anything similar to algae balls in the Japanese text... that sentence can be roughly translated into "yeilds rate is low too."

I know - I figured that out (although the translation was pretty cryptic). I didn't mean to imply that I actually thought he was talking about algae balls... ;)

Thanks.

demalion said:
"aegagropila" is a word that means some sort of "ball form" aggregate of algae. It seems to be appreciated in Japanese culture for aesthetic reasons, and I think therefore its use there is some sort of cultural reference...whether it alludes to "ball", "perfection", or some more profound abstract concept associated with their appreciation I have no real idea, but atleast you have a starting point now...

I wouldn't read anything into it. My Japanese roommate and I were laughing our asses off last year at how bad Babelfish's translation is. It's really, really, really terrible at translating from Japanese to English (and vice versa). If there's something that isn't obvious, don't try to figure it out. You'll probably get it wrong.

Back