David Coulthard to drive for Red Bull

What I find interesting was that after all the time he's been at McLaren, apparently being overshadowed by Kimi, he steps into a completely different (and much shitter) car and is immediately 0.5-1 seconds faster than the "young guns", one of which has been driving that car for the year. Having seen his testing pace I would have said it was a complete no-brainer for Red Bull to take him on.

DaveBaumann said:
What I find interesting was that after all the time he's been at McLaren, apparently being overshadowed by Kimi, he steps into a completely different (and much shitter) car and is immediately 0.5-1 seconds faster than the "young guns", one of which has been driving that car for the year. Having seen his testing pace I would have said it was a complete no-brainer for Red Bull to take him on.

I've been thinking it was a complete no-brainer for a very long time. But judging from all the vibes coming out of the team it seemed that they didn't think too highly of him. This is big news for the team because they're getting one of the most experienced guys around, who just so happens to also have some good speed.

We all know ofcourse that testing times mean nothing, but even so, his pace was very impressive! Just goes to show how brilliant The Iceman really is I guess.

His speed was never bad, but he never was really agressive enough during the race (especially when trying to overtake) and has lost many, many duels because of that.

You mean you don't remember his classic passing manouver at the French GP? Overtaking Schumacher whilst, simultaneously flipping him the finger and then giving him the "Wanker" gesticulation? :LOL:

I don't remember that, but that was rather an exception then. Mostly he didn't even bother trying. I like the guy himself (I even met him once, very nice) but he's not going to win anything of significance.

DaveBaumann said:
You mean you don't remember his classic passing manouver at the French GP? Overtaking Schumacher whilst, simultaneously flipping him the finger and then giving him the "Wanker" gesticulation?
One of the finest moments in F1 history that!! For me, it was the most impressive race of DC's career, not for the 'wanker' salute (which *was* great) but for his driving.

DC has always been fast and a very good developer of the car. I think the big problem in the last few years is that Ron Dennis made no secret of his preference for (and friendship with) Mika Hakonen and then Kimi Raikonnen, effectively making DC the second driver. The last couple of years with the one lap qualifying and a crappy car have not worked to DC's strengths, meaning he's been starting down the field with a substandard car.

Except the maneuver allready emntioned he's a real bad overtaker indeed. He's great new for the team and will help a lot to develop the car but he is not a race driver with fire in the heart.
I've seen too many races where he drove 40 laps behind a car with practically no time difference. He has no killer instinct.
On the other hand: He's a point collector. Thanks to his grandma style he never risks too much and looses points because of a risky overtake.

For red bull it's a great deal for sure.

Yip .. i'm a bit more interested in the Kimi/Juan Pablo affair.

Although I think Kimi should kick his ass ... but then again Juan Pablo is South American .. and doesn't give a sh*t.

Who to root for? :)

US <-- Michael Schumacher :)

Unknown Soldier said:
Yip .. i'm a bit more interested in the Kimi/Juan Pablo affair.

Although I think Kimi should kick his ass ... but then again Juan Pablo is South American .. and doesn't give a sh*t.

Who to root for? :)

US <-- Michael Schumacher :)

Bizarrely, I 100% agree with this post!

Back