dany lepage

Anonymous

Veteran
hi,

About the AA issue. Since dx9a is now available , can the AA support be fixed and if yes is there a patch coming anytime soon?

AA support could be fixed in DX9a (assuming the copy function from a multisample render target to a texture is fast enough) but SC (1) won't be "supporting" DX9A. You need to have access to Direct3D9 objects but the code is written with "Direct3DDevice8" calls and changing all the calls to use DX9 won't happen with this game.

It could have been nice to support AA in normal vision mode (there is a noise effect in night vision anyway) but it won't happen with SC1.

Sorry about that.

I wanted to ask the same question, especially with regard to 3DMark03 - where the change to DX9a was made - but then I realized that it must have been quite easy for the onions with their code obviously already based on DX9. Changing the code from DX8 to DX9 framework is really not worth the effort at this point, I guess.

Dany Lepage said:
AA support could be fixed in DX9a (assuming the copy function from a multisample render target to a texture is fast enough) but SC (1) won't be "supporting" DX9A. You need to have access to Direct3D9 objects but the code is written with "Direct3DDevice8" calls and changing all the calls to use DX9 won't happen with this game.

It could have been nice to support AA in normal vision mode (there is a noise effect in night vision anyway) but it won't happen with SC1.

Sorry about that.

ok thanks.

So no chance of liasing with ATi and getting them to expose their SSAA driver functionality just for a special option in SC1? :LOL:

MuFu.

DirectX Shadow Buffering

Greetings Dany,

Elsewhere in this forum, there was some discussion regarding general shadow buffer support for non-nVidia graphics cards (e.g. Radoen 9700). Would the use of DirectX 9.0 have allowed the shadow buffer functionality of cards such as the Radeon 9700 to be exposed with enough precision to be useful in the PC version of Splinter Cell?

AA

I stand by a comment I made a while ago in the www.splintercell.com forum. If DirectX would be supporting multisampled texture render targets, that would solve the problem right away without any need for us to do anything. Obviously, that won't happen with DX8. However, I heard Nvidia is looking at providing the option in OpenGL.

They could create a special case and detect SC and make the operation we are doing "possible" (mixing a multisampled depth/stencil buffer with a texture render target (non multisampled)).

I implemented a "normal vision" AA patch but the performance quite simply suck. SC is already very fill limited and rendering the scene twice (once to the mainbuffer and the other to the texture to create the mask for glow) takes a huge toll on performance. I would rather crank resolution by 2 notchs before turning on AA under those circonstances (and it will never work in night vision and you spend 50% of the game (or more) with that post-filter).

Shadow Buffer precision

Even if I didn't try it. I'm almost 100% sure the ATI DX9 implementation would have been fine. In fact, during the porting of the xbox version, we were confronted with which algorithm we would use for a replacement to the depth texture extension used on NV hardware.
The reason we went with shadow projectors is that we wanted an algorithm that could work on DX7 hardware too (ATI can have shadow buffer running on their R200 with PS1.4). The GF2/4MX market is still huge out there.

Considering that I wasn't going to move the SC code base to DX9, the only available option to have shadow maps on ATI cards was to use PS1.4. I almost did it but couldn't find the time.

Considering that I wasn't going to move the SC code base to DX9, the only available option to have shadow maps on ATI cards was to use PS1.4. I almost did it but couldn't find the time.
If you can teach me, I'll do it ;).

It's just a pity us Ati users can't have the shadow buffer support. Check out the difference between projected shadows and shadow buffers:

2003-5-9-15-11-12.jpg

2003-5-9-15-11-17.jpg

Guess which is which.

Luminescent said:
If you can teach me, I'll do it ;).

How its done (clever use of all 12 bits and a big texture) from ATI themself.
http://www.ati.com/developer/samples/shadowmap.html

Actually works quite well considering how few bits you've got.

Back