Damn, what a cooler!

Somewhat worrisome that the reviewer couldn't get the heatsink turned to the side so that its airflow would be directly at the rear case fan since that's exactly what I'd planned on doing if I bought one. But, then again, I'll probably use it in my Intel system and that won't be a problem with the 775 socket.

Gotta' wonder if the price is going to be $80 or more, though.

I really liked that "wastebasket" heatsink prototype zalman displayed at some shows maybe a year ago, that round thing with like 8 heatpipes and a standard fan sitting inside the "basket"... It looked rediculously oversized, yet cool at the same time. :D

I wish zalman would make a BTX sink too...

I wonder how long until we need to affix these things directly and permanently to the houses foundations? :oops:

Anyways, I'm not buying into the whole "watercooling-like performance" angle of this review, the Gigabyte cooling system they compared it to does seem neither very sophisticated nor high-performance, as far as watercooling is concerned. :|

Ahhhh, I finally got one of these. I shall be spending tonight shuffling my system about and also installing this - hopefully it'll be nice 'n quiet.

Dave Baumann said:
Ahhhh, I finally got one of these. I shall be spending tonight shuffling my system about and also installing this - hopefully it'll be nice 'n quiet.
Please take a few picts if you got batteries in your camera of the process, I'm really interested in this cooler. :)

SilentPCReview has tested it, and the conclusion was roughly: extreme cooling performance, but the fan is not very good.

In regular (i.e. noisy) machines, I believe it could be considered dead silent.

I have it and it's very good. Temps dropped by 10 degrees (I had a nice copper sink before) and it's more quiet too. :)

Turning it to change the fan's direction is no problem I'd guess although I didn't try it.

edit: Piccies :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of picking one up this weekend. It just looks too good to pass up. Not cheap though, but seems worth it to me. I'm hoping to make some duct work to help exhaust the hot stuff out the back of the case as well. Somewhere on Silent PC they talked about modding the fans that come on the Zalman units (not for this heatsink, but I'm sure it could be done as well). I'd be inclined to add a 120mm fan to the rear with ducting, and just not run the stocker. :p

One thing I just gotta say is that Zalman makes some of the prettiest damned coolers around!

Seriously, they do. I freely admit that's why I got one for my X800 over an arctic silencer and I haven't regretted it.

digitalwanderer said:
One thing I just gotta say is that Zalman makes some of the prettiest damned coolers around!

Seriously, they do. I freely admit that's why I got one for my X800 over an arctic silencer and I haven't regretted it.

How did you put it on the card? I broke my X800 while trying and I hope I can RMA it.

Vadi said:
How did you put it on the card? I broke my X800 while trying and I hope I can RMA it.
Just set it on there and put the backplate on as I recall, whatever the directions said. (I'm kind of insane with following directions. :oops: )

Vadi said:
How on earth did you manage to do that, didn't you follow the instructions? From memory: screw in the mounting posts in the holes through the PCB, using the O-ring washers. Mount the metal plate onto the posts on the back of the PCB FIRST, mount heatsink on the GPU and screw the springy metal bars to the posts on the front AFTER (do not reverse these steps)... Absolutely impossible to damage anything if one does everything in the right order and use the proper items at the right time, and provided there's no components obstructing the assembly.

Guden Oden said:
How on earth did you manage to do that, didn't you follow the instructions? From memory: screw in the mounting posts in the holes through the PCB, using the O-ring washers. Mount the metal plate onto the posts on the back of the PCB FIRST, mount heatsink on the GPU and screw the springy metal bars to the posts on the front AFTER (do not reverse these steps)... Absolutely impossible to damage anything if one does everything in the right order and use the proper items at the right time, and provided there's no components obstructing the assembly.
Ah, yeah! That's it.

The putting on the mounting posts first made it easy-cheesy-peasy, and I still think it just looks gorgeous!

Well, I didn't follow the instructions, I didn't see them.

I'll buy it again when my card arrives since I threw the cooler away in angryness. :oops:

Didn't see the instructions:?: They're included in teh pack:!:

People like you make us men look bad, can't stop and ask for directions, can't put things together using the instructions. Always have to do things their own way! ;)

Back