D3D10 or DirectX10?

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran
It's still not clear to me.. but maybe even Microsoft and NVIDIA have the same problem:

NVIDIA and Microsoft to hold a DirectX Day at GDC London

NVIDIA TUTORIAL :
NVIDIA, Microsoft DirectX 10 Day

BTW..I like the name of this presentation (my old amiga days memories..):
13:00 - 13:50: Shadow of the Beast
Presenter: NVIDIA

Depending on the context, there are many ways to produce shadows and each technique
has its advantages and drawbacks. NVIDIA engineers will show how D3D 10 makes
shadows better and your life easier.

As Demirug replied... officially it should be D3D10 (it originally was, and we were originally asked to push the proper name) but the trade-press started calling it DX10 and then everyone else started calling it DX10 and when I last checked it, MS had just resigned to "go with the flow" :smile:

The developer centre even has a DirectX 10 logo for the SIGGRAPH paper:

DirectX_80x60Bnr_v2.gif

Jack

Thing is that other subsystems haven't really evolved much ever since DX8 (thats why OpenAL is being pushed so much compared to nearly outdated DirectSound).
But since DX9 is already out there, next step is DX10. Graphics subsystem has certanly evolved much, which kinda justifies the versin upgrade number 10. D3D as subsystem itself is of course upgraded just like it was D3D8 from D3D7 and D3D9 from D3D8 and now D3D9 to D3D10

Dx10 sounds cooler(everything with an "x" sounds cool) and its also shorter. Technically d3d10 is the right term but who cares :p

Back