CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

Who would have thought nextgen would be hitting after only 7 years? Some of CD Project Red even wanted to release The Witcher 3 on the PS360 generation. It seems their desire to maximize profits won out this time around and before even having stable performance builds. At least having to optimize for current-gen consoles will benefit medium level PC and let the game perform all the better on higher end PC and Next-gen consoles.
De ja vu from Witcher 3 and the console controversy?

Imagine if this game had only been developed for next-gen and ready for launch...

Next gen console sales would have been through the roof..

Imagine if this game had only been developed for next-gen and ready for launch... Next gen console sales would have been through the roof..

It would still have to run on Lockhart. Though nobody knows what that actually means. :runaway:

Imagine if this game had only been developed for next-gen and ready for launch...

Next gen console sales would have been through the roof..

Next gen sales will already be through the roof. Consoles tend to be supply limited at launch even last gen when Sony and MS managed to pour more than 6 million on the market for holiday sales.

A next gen Cyberpunk would have been limited to a small console market. You don't build a super ambitious title like 2077 and then feed to a fraction of the market that was available to Witcher 3.

Is the PC version not releasing at the same time?

In 2015, 70% of witcher sales came from consoles.
While I'm sure the console numbers aren't a perfect 50/50 split, that does mean that nearly a third of Witcher sales were on PC, and that's not so bad considering there were 3 platforms.

In 2015, 70% of witcher sales came from consoles.

If they dont sell on Steam and use some alt store, the PC sales might be more profitable? I think console and Steam sales still have a 30% profit hit to Sony, Microsoft, or Valve.

So I wouldn't be surprised at strategic release on better profit sharing PC storefront happens first and then releasing on consoles and Steam later. Of course, there is a risk in that if your game isn't exactly perfect you might miss out on the 70% of a sale that turned into a no sale.

Was just thinking about options they could go with to still hit their original release target for the game, which would mostly be PC only and on their store. They probably wouldnt loose that much profit doing so provided they release on console and steam within 6 month window.

Was just thinking about options they could go with to still hit their original release target for the game, which would mostly be PC only and on their store. They probably wouldnt loose that much profit doing so provided they release on console and steam within 6 month window.
There's also possible contracts with MS and Sony to ensure the release is on their platforms at the same time as PC release.

They would get higher margins if they only sold on their store, but they'll make far more profits by also selling on Steam as well just due to how many people use Steam and not other platforms.

Same reason why Disney basically forced EA to also sell the last Star Wars game on Steam if EA wanted to keep the Star Wars license. Also why Rock Star was smart to have a very very small EGS exclusivity deal.

Also why Microsoft are now simultaneously releasing on Steam and the MS store.

You can either try to force people to buy things only at your store or a small relatively insignificant store, or you can sell to a far larger audience of people by also selling the title where they would prefer to buy the title as well as offering it at other stores.

Regards,
SB

I'm speculating here, but it wasn't until EGS launched that Microsoft felt the need to start selling games on Steam. MS doesn't sell on EGS, either, except for Outer World's but that's just because that deal was in place before MS bought the developer and it's published by another company. Also, there are a couple of games like Outer World's and Metro Exodus that are considered EGS exclusives but are also available on the Windows Store.

I sort of think MS is more threatened by newcomers into the market than they are of supporting Steam at this point.

I'm speculating here, but it wasn't until EGS launched that Microsoft felt the need to start selling games on Steam. MS doesn't sell on EGS, either, except for Outer World's but that's just because that deal was in place before MS bought the developer and it's published by another company. Also, there are a couple of games like Outer World's and Metro Exodus that are considered EGS exclusives but are also available on the Windows Store.

I sort of think MS is more threatened by newcomers into the market than they are of supporting Steam at this point.

MS were selling titles on Steam long before EGS came about. For example, the Age of Empires series has been on there for years and years now. Halo: Spartan Assault has also been on there for over 5 years now. State of Decay for about 7 years now. Lots of other examples.

For their console exclusives, sometimes they waited a few months to release on Steam, but that was due to trying to push the Microsoft Store. When that failed to take off like they wanted they started releasing on Steam as well.

I'm guessing due to how well those titles have sold on Steam compared to the Microsoft Store combined with their push to win consumer goodwill, they are now pushing titles to Steam day and date with the MS Store.

As far as consumer goodwill goes, it's one of the moves they've done that's helped turn around their image with consumers.

And yeah, the Outer World deal was inked before MS acquired Obsidian, otherwise it would have appeared on Steam at launch.

Ideally, I'd love to see their titles also appear on GoG (and other storefronts just so consumers have more choice), but since GoG won't allow DRM on their store, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Regards,
SB

I'd be fine with PC releasing in April and consoles in September. But this requires two expensive marketing pushes and they may have a marketing deal with Microsoft.

Back