CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

I was all set to buy this as my Series X game using my Microsoft Rewards but after reading more on it, I'm not so sure now. I have never been an RPG gamer. Always been more into FPS, action/adventure & open-world games. The games with the most RPG elements I played were the Borderland games & I did the absolute least I had to do to spec my character or weapons. Never really been happy with RPG elements invading my FPS & action games. If I don't get this game, I have no idea what game I would spend my Rewards on. Watch Dogs Legion? AC: Valhalla? Or maybe put them toward extending Game Pass instead?

Tommy McClain

I was all set to buy this as my Series X game using my Microsoft Rewards but after reading more on it, I'm not so sure now. I have never been an RPG gamer. Always been more into FPS, action/adventure & open-world games. The games with the most RPG elements I played were the Borderland games & I did the absolute least I had to do to spec my character or weapons. Never really been happy with RPG elements invading my FPS & action games. If I don't get this game, I have no idea what game I would spend my Rewards on. Watch Dogs Legion? AC: Valhalla? Or maybe put them toward extending Game Pass instead?

The marketing for this game really does make it looks like a first person shooter but all the review I read/watched by folks who recently spent sixteen hours with the game has confirmed it most definitely is not. Unless you're just looking to cause mayhem, you'll go hours and hours without killing anybody. It's an RPH first, with some combat mechanics.

As for what to replace it with, I've really been enjoying AC Valhalla. :yes: But it's a long game, supposedly around 100 hours. That said, the skills add plenty of variety to combat (which you won't feel for a few hours) which keeps it interesting. They've toned back the RPG elements they introduced in Origins.

You mean Odyssey right? The pointless dialogue options?
I didn't mind that in Odyssey because they were few and saw between, but I was referring to make the heavy adoption of typical RPG tropes like gating areas and enemies according to arbitrary levels, different level combatants doing different levels of damage, heavy grinding for gear and resources etc.

I knew Origins wasn't going to be for me and skipped it and I know Ubisoft toned it down in Odyssey but, having sunk 20+ hours in, not enough for me. But you can play Valhalla almost like the original Assassin's Creed games.

The marketing for this game really does make it looks like a first person shooter

Yeah, had it been a FPS I would buy it, but I've never played a straight up RPG & I'm really not planning too either. In fact, RDR2 is almost too much RPG to the point I've only finished 2/3 of the story. I think my answer is to finish what I've already started(RDR2, Ori & Will of the Wisps, Gears 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider & few smaller games) and save my money. My Game Passs Ultimate doesn't expire until May. Hopefully by then I will have figured out what game to spend my money on or just extend my GPU subscription.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, had it been a FPS I would buy it, but I've never played a straight up RPG & I'm really not planning too either.

That said, I bought Fallout 3 thinking it was more a first person shooter and couldn't have been more wrong, and that really got me hooked on combo action/RPG first person gams. But this game sounds like it has even less combat than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, although you would expect what there is to be better than the clunky mechanics on both of those older games.

Yeah, had it been a FPS I would buy it, but I've never played a straight up RPG & I'm really not planning too either. In fact, RDR2 is almost too much RPG to the point I've only finished 2/3 of the story. I think my answer is to finish what I've already started(RDR2, Ori & Will of the Wisps, Gears 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider & few smaller games) and save my money. My Game Passs Ultimate doesn't expire until May. Hopefully by then I will have figured out what game to spend my money on or just extend my GPU subscription.

Tommy McClain
It’s a trend I don’t like in games because it’s all very confusing for me to understand. That’s all compounded because if you take a break (which I often do because my gaming time is very limited) - it’s almost impossible to remember how the game works.

That said, I bought Fallout 3 thinking it was more a first person shooter and couldn't have been more wrong, and that really got me hooked on combo action/RPG first person gams. But this game sounds like it has even less combat than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, although you would expect what there is to be better than the clunky mechanics on both of those older games.
I think games like Horizon ZD and Days Gone are about as heavy as I want to get - but at the same time I am interested by these games. Borderlands 3 - I started and am enjoying, but my mind melts at all the upgrade options. Likewise I was sooo looking forward to RDR2 but got so turned off by the gameplay, I’d love someone to re skin the original game with the sequel story - RDR is one of my favourite games of all time so gutted I can’t get into RDR2.

metaiajvm.png

I've been watching some of non-spoilery streams, just to get a sense of performance, and some of the bugs are hilarious :yes:

But it looks like a solid 60fps on PS5 and Series X and that's without the day 1 patch.

Very buggy I think for people with PS5 and/or XSX better to wait next year many of the bugs will be patched and a better version too.

Very buggy I think for people with PS5 and/or XSX better to wait next year many of the bugs will be patched and a better version too.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. :nope: Witcher 3 had a plethora of bugs but that didn't stop me playing the hell out of it and an actual proper RPG where I don't have to shoot anybody unless I want too? I'm so playing this a bunch of times and the side missions are reportedly fantastic - just like Witcher 3. :yes:

As we said, we have played around 22 hours so far and we reckon we are around 30% of the way through. With hundreds of side-missions complete and a good chunk of the main story played through, we know there's still plenty to explore, and can easily imagine us sticking around in Night City for around 80 hours in our first complete play-through.

The story isn't yet finished for us, and it's still holding some mind-bending plot twists and turns that are keeping us hooked, particularly as we explore our relationship with Johnny Silverhand.

The side-quests are an absolute hoot, with some serious detective work seeing you investigate murders by rogue agents, or an AI taxi service asking you to reign in his rogue self-driving vehicles (play this side mission through for a wicked Portal reference).\....
The game is drop-dead gorgeous, and is easily one of the best-looking games of the next generation.

We reviewed our copy on a PC (an ASUS Zephyrus ROG G14 gaming laptop to be precise), which could handle the 4K Ultra settings with full ray-tracing. If you watched BladeRunner 2049 and adored the dark alleyways filled with unsettling strip-clubs and seedy bars dappled with neon lights and holograms, you will instantly fall in love with how good this game can look.
Cyberpunk 2077 on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5
We think the next-gen consoles like the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X will really show off the scale and quality of Night City in ways gamers might not be expecting.

We have played Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs, and Spider-Man Miles Morales on the next-gen consoles, but none of them looked as good as Cyberpunk 2077 did.
We found it hard to figure out how to describe Cyberpunk 2077 using other games as reference, as it does take inspiration from elsewhere in small doses.
Driving around Night City feels like a slightly tighter version of GTA, while the combat and RPG mechanics feels like Fallout or Skyrim. However, the story and the world feels completely brand new and original and, much like V's techno-morphed body, the mix of inspirations takes on it's own identity to become a wild frankensteins monster of great games combined.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a fantastic game that we have never experienced before, and is a window into the future of next-gen gaming and what it's capable of. We are addicted to its world and everything in it, and we don't mind risking our reputation saying that it's easily our game of the decade, despite it missing out on the Video Game Awards for 2020.

We could wax lyrical about how good this game is for another ten years, and we still think the conversation would be relevant - so yes, we think Cyberpunk 2077 is the game of the decade.
Cyberpunk 2077 review - CD Projekt Red's next-gen game (digitalspy.com)

Last edited:
Someone needs to edit the OP to post all the reviews coming in. One reviewer that I've been following since this summer is Jeff Grub at GamesBeat/VentureBeat. He had a review that I think disagrees with most. He gave it a 3 out of 5 score...

Cyberpunk 2077 is a promise. But it’s a different promise to different people. For many, it’s the blockbuster sci-fi followup to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that will do everything that game did but bigger. For me, Cyberpunk 2077 was the promise of the next generation of choice, simulation, and interactivity. Now that I’ve played it myself, I think that developer CD Projekt Red delivered a big-budget thrill ride with entertaining quests in a thriving setting.

But it isn’t much more than that.

Here are the basics: Cyberpunk 2077 is out December 10 for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia. It’s $60, and it’ll also run on PS5 and Xbox Series X, but it won’t get a next-gen patch for those system until next year. You create and control the character V, who lives in Night City and is looking to make a couple of big scores to enter the upper echelon of the criminal underworld.

What Cyberpunk really is, however, is a big open-world action role-playing game. What it’s not is a look at gaming’s future. Instead, it feels like a summation of where we’ve come in gaming since the Xbox 360 generation. It feels like a game built by people looking around to see what works — like Grand Theft Auto’s open world, Watch Dogs’ hacking, Assassin’s Creed’s quest-filled maps, Fallout’s combat and character progression, Mass Effect’s dialogue system, Batman: Arkham Knight’s crime scene investigations, and every games’ skill trees.

At the same time, Cyberpunk doesn’t try much new. It feels big and expensive — and getting all of these parts to fit together seems like an impossible challenge. But because of this, Cyberpunk 2077 is a glimpse at where we are and not what is next.

That's just the first part of the review. The rest is worth the read. Looks like he played it on PC with NVIDIA RTX 3080.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-review-a-look-at-the-present-not-the-future/

He has a few tidbits on his Twitter. Here's one part regarding the raytracing...

It *is*, however, the new absolute standard in real-time ray tracing. Its hybrid global illumination and self-shadowing characters is the difference between a lifelike Night City and looking like a video game.

Looks like passing on this might be the right call. Might be a pretty showcase, but it doesn't seem sound real deep.

Tommy McClain

Someone needs to edit the OP to post all the reviews coming in. One reviewer that I've been following since this summer is Jeff Grub at GamesBeat/VentureBeat. He had a review that I think disagrees with most. He gave it a 3 out of 5 score...

That's just the first part of the review. The rest is worth the read. Looks like he played it on PC with NVIDIA RTX 3080.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-review-a-look-at-the-present-not-the-future/

He has a few tidbits on his Twitter. Here's one part regarding the raytracing...

Looks like passing on this might be the right call. Might be a pretty showcase, but it doesn't seem sound real deep.

Tommy McClain

Gamespot gives it 7/10 too. I think the site who will receive the game later and more review the game wil be between 85 and 90 a good game but I see a french guy saying the game is not as good as The Witcher 3.

Back