"Cutting Edge" *cut-off thread*

Hell, Vita couldn't even run the ps2 hd collections properly. So we´re praising vita for not being able to run 7th gen games without stripping them bare like borderlands and RE, but the switch is unimpressive for its 8th gen ports actually being comparable in visuals?

What about a game like Origins on Switch ? Then we can make a proper comparison with Bordelands 2...

I compared Doom to Borderlands 2...
Well, Borderlands 2 (which was ported by Gearbox itself no less, wasn't it?) is awful on the Vita. Doom on the Switch supposedly isn't. It's worse, but it's not an unplayable trainwreck either.

Because 600p/30fps (docked) is more impressive ? Btw, Wipeout has a very agressive dynamic resolution on PS3 (almost never runs at 1080p) unlike Doom on PS4.

On Vita, it's 544p/30fps with 4xMSAA with almost no downgrades and even improved things : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wipeout-2048-tech-interview

Never said the Doom port was better than the Wipeout port. Besides, I was specifically refering to the HD/Fury portions of Wipeout 2048 where scaling on the Vita is actually very aggressive and very noticeable. Much more so than with the 2048 content.

My point wasn't that the Vita wasn't a good or less impressive piece of kit for its time. I've owned one since day1. It's just that people seem very eager to ignore the system's short comings. When I'm comparing the best looking Switch games in my collection to my most impressive Vita games, the generational gap between the two isn't any less obvious than it was between, let's say, the PS3 and the PS4. Heck, disregarding benchmarks and graphs for a moment, it's actually way bigger. Unlike the Vita, the Switch has crossed over into "good enough" territory in just about all cases, and that's really giving it a big edge. I've yet to come across unplayable messes like Borderlands or Assassin's Creed Liberation on the thing.

Last edited:
What's Origins?
Assassin's Creed.

Point is always the same:
Pace-oriented games that run at 1080p60 in the 2013 consoles will run at 1/4th the resolution and half the framerate in the Switch (1/8th the performance needed), with additional cutbacks due to smaller RAM and much lower CPU performance.

IQ-oriented games that run at 900p-1080p30 in the 2013 consoles will not run in the Switch without major reworks required.

Hell, Vita couldn't even run the ps2 hd collections properly.

PS2 HD remasters != PS2 ports.

Besides, the quality of the ports depend on the time and competence of the dev teams behind them. Some of them went wrong (like the Jak&Daxter games IIRC), but others used pretty much the same assets as the PS3 version:

Digital Foundry said:

Assassin's Creed.

Point is always the same:
Pace-oriented games that run at 1080p60 in the 2013 consoles will run at 1/4th the resolution and half the framerate in the Switch (1/8th the performance needed), with additional cutbacks due to smaller RAM and much lower CPU performance.

IQ-oriented games that run at 900p-1080p30 in the 2013 consoles will not run in the Switch without major reworks required.

PS2 HD remasters != PS2 ports.

Besides, the quality of the ports depend on the time and competence of the dev teams behind them. Some of them went wrong (like the Jak&Daxter games IIRC), but others used pretty much the same assets as the PS3 version:

So pretty much the exact same deal as it was with the Vita, then.

And let's not forget that even some of the better PS2 remasters weren't exactly perfect in every which way. The MGS collection doesn't run at the screen's native res, and in MGS2's case, it's not running as smooth as it used to on the PS2 either.

Last edited:
There is one single big reason for Nintendo to go with NVidia though: Software. NVidia had already quite some experience with helping to port existing games (mostly from PS360) and games are pretty much the reason they exist. Qualcomm relationship with gaming is simply not as deep. When it was announced that NVidia was to provide for the Switch, it was openly stated that they were providing middleware and other software support, not only the chips.

Last edited:
So pretty much the exact same deal as it was with the Vita, then.

No... i see more compromises in Doom than in Bordelands 2, especially if we compare the Vita with the undocked version.

My point is simple : the Vita was closer to the 360/PS3 than the Switch is to the XB1/PS4.

No... i see more compromises in Doom than in Bordelands 2, especially if we compare the Vita with the undocked version.

My point is simple : the Vita was closer to the 360/PS3 than the Switch is to the XB1/PS4.

The big difference between Borderlands 2 for Vita and Doom on Switch is that Doom still plays well. Doom averaged 27.5fps on Ultra Nightmare according to the last DF video. Doom during the campaign runs at 30fps most of the time, with the more chaotic scenes dropping into the mid 20's. If you watch the DF video on Borderlands 2, the famerate is rarely at the target 30fps, with many areas struggling to get out of the teens. Performance isn't even comparable, Doom is far superior. If Gearbox had air for better performance, the visual compromises would have been more substantial.

The Sony Vita released 6 years after the Xbox 360 and 5 years after the PS3. Switch on the other hand released a little over 3 years after the Xbox One and PS4. In the technology industry, 2-3 years is world of difference. Vita was a nice piece of tech for its time, but it was it really any closer to being on par with the 360/PS3 than the Switch is with the X1/PS4? I suppose comparing Switch portable performance to the PS4/X1, Vita may have been closer to 360/PS3, but docked performance I would say Switch is at least toe to toe, and it came out 2-3 years earlier in the generation than Vita did.

The Sony Vita released 6 years after the Xbox 360 and 5 years after the PS3. Switch on the other hand released a little over 3 years after the Xbox One and PS4.

Good point.

If Gearbox had air for better performance, the visual compromises would have been more substantial.

According to the article, the developers prepared a patch to fix the performances issues, but we don't know the result.

Back