Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

The sad part is, even if AMD came out with legitimately superior product, brushed up their raytracing and such, people would still buy nvidia in bulk based on their branding alone. People have just been conditioned to believe Nvidia is the only viable product in existence. The apple effect

The sad part is, even if AMD came out with legitimately superior product, brushed up their raytracing and such, people would still buy nvidia in bulk based on their branding alone. People have just been conditioned to believe Nvidia is the only viable product in existence. The apple effect
It would take at least two generations of clearly superior AMD products to shake off that perception of AMD being the budget-driven, inferior brand.

Indeed, but that just adds into the 'mystique' of marketing, as no-one really knows what they really want from a GPU. As such it can't be a bad thing someone is presenting an argument in favour of AMD against the entrenched market leader, even if that argument doesn't apply to a lot of PC gamers. In particular, nVidia is commanding ever increasing price premiums that people are buying into like they're designer sunglasses. The perception of "highest price == best product" needs to be broken for balance to be restored to the GPU sector.

We may be starting to see signs of this as reception to the RTX 4080 in retail is relatively poor. It's the first GPU of that class (1 step below the top) that has not sold out at launch in retail in decades.

We're also potentially seeing the largest crash in PC GPU sales in decades, even larger than the last time that Crypto crashed. It's rare that GPU shipments decline going from Q2 (slow GPU sales quarter) to Q3 (best selling GPU sales quarter due to back to school sales and retailers stocking up for the Holiday shopping season), but not only did it decline, but it declined massively.

While some may point to the RTX 4090 selling well as refuting potential evidence of general consumer resistance to higher GPU prices, it should be noted that the market segment that the RTX 4090 is selling into are generally buyers who have enough wealth that they are largely immune to the effects of inflation or even a recession. IE - buyers who consider a 2k USD purchase as basically pocket change. Often they don't even bother to look at what something costs when buying it.

I think the current economic climate is making a lot of people that buy luxury items (like PC graphics cards) re-evaluate whether they can afford to spend as much on those luxury items as they've grown used to.

Regards,
SB

- This comparison was made with the launch patch applied.
- PS5 has better lighting, textures, geomatrics, shadows, post-processing effects, particles, draw distance and ambient occlusion compared to PS4/PS4 Pro.
- Despite the fact that the oldgen version has numerous cutbacks in all graphical settings, it is still a remarkable game visually.
- Performance mode on PS5 features a lower dynamic resolution, closer to 1872p on average with temporal reconstruction.
- Quality mode on PS5 adds better shadows and ray-tracing reflections on certain surfaces, although other reflections will still be represented by SSR.
- PS4/PS4 Pro experience some problems with texture loading (especially when loading game).
- Problematic framerate in cutscenes affecting all platforms, but especially PS4/PS4 Pro.
- As for PS5, some visual additions by Ray-Tracing are interesting, but I don't consider them to justify the sacrifice of losing 60fps for it. I would choose the performance mode.
- Much faster load times on PS5.
- Along with Gears 5, The Callisto Protocol is some of the most visually impressive work I've seen in Unreal Engine 4.
- We'll have Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X and PC comparisons in the next few hours.

Last edited:

- This comparison was made with the launch patch applied.
- PS5 has better lighting, textures, geomatrics, shadows, post-processing effects, particles, draw distance and ambient occlusion compared to PS4/PS4 Pro.
- Despite the fact that the oldgen version has numerous cutbacks in all graphical settings, it is still a remarkable game visually.
- Performance mode on PS5 features a lower dynamic resolution, closer to 1872p on average with temporal reconstruction.
- Quality mode on PS5 adds better shadows and ray-tracing reflections on certain surfaces, although other reflections will still be represented by SSR.
- PS4/PS4 Pro experience some problems with texture loading (especially when loading game).
- Problematic framerate in cutscenes affecting all platforms, but especially PS4/PS4 Pro.
- As for PS5, some visual additions by Ray-Tracing are interesting, but I don't consider them to justify the sacrifice of losing 60fps for it. I would choose the performance mode.
- Much faster load times on PS5.
- Along with Gears 5, The Callisto Protocol is some of the most visually impressive work I've seen in Unreal Engine 4.
- We'll have Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X and PC comparisons in the next few hours.
I'm reading it has shader compilation issues too.

- This comparison has been made with the launch patch applied on all platforms.
- Performance mode on PS5/Series X has a lower dynamic resolution, closer to 1872p on average with temporal reconstruction. Both maintain a similar resolution in the tested areas.
- Quality mode on PS5/Series X adds better shadows and ray-tracing reflections on certain surfaces, although other reflections will still be represented by SSR. At this time, Series X has no ray-tracing reflections. This is most likely a bug with the Quality mode.
- Xbox Series S does not benefit from Ray-Tracing in this game. It also has some clipping in texturing and global illumination.

- The PC version needs an urgent patch. Its performance is very erratic, with constant stuttering and even freezes. I speculate with a bad VRAM management when loading assets and scenarios.
- Some visual additions for Ray-Tracing are interesting, but I do not consider that they justify the sacrifice of losing 60fps for it on console. I would choose the performance mode.
- Along with Gears 5, The Callisto Protocol is some of the most visually impressive work I've seen in Unreal Engine 4. It's a shame it's marred by that poor performance on PC.
- Except for the absence of Ray-Tracing in X-Series quality mode, I consider any currentgen console version a good choice to enjoy this game.
- On the other hand, I don't like to discourage a video game, but I consider that the PC version should not be currently on sale.

That's what happens when the biggest GPU manufacturer spams the market for 4 years with 8 - 10 GB mid-high end cards whose users will feel entitled to play with highest textures, since their cards are fresh and mere 1-3 year old expensive GPUs.

Lol, LMAO. This is just going to get funnier as we move on.

That's what happens when the biggest GPU manufacturer spams the market for 4 years with 8 - 10 GB mid-high end cards whose users will feel entitled to play with highest textures, since their cards are fresh and mere 1-3 year old expensive GPUs.

Lol, LMAO. This is just going to get funnier as we move on.
Shader Comp. stutters have nothing to do with VRAM. It will stutter even on a 4090.

Shader Comp. stutters have nothing to do with VRAM. It will stutter even on a 4090.
It also has other kinds of stutters, the kinds that never go away. They're most likely Elden Ring-esque stutters that will keep happening due to engine aggresively swapping memory all over. These kind of stutters can be fixed with a config file trick or two by enforcing game to use higher VRAM per level. Naturally, these devs won't bother to put special tricks that might make use of more available VRAM, instead they will simply ship their game with a stock neutered VRAM management profile that is tuned for 6-10 GB GB cards. I'm not specifically talking about shader compilation. That's it: it is about shader being compiled. In this game, clearly stutters are constant, and they never go away, in other means, you can finish the game, restart, and most of them stutters will still be there, at least from what I'm seeing. Shader comp. stutter is altogether different and also exists within this game: which doubles the problem, no doubt.

Kena was one such example. The game will forever stutter as you specifically move from one region to another (although it looks seamless, there's a visible "border" that game will decide to swap textures/ assets). By making game to load more textures beforehand, you can practically eliminate it. That' s the problem tho, owning a 4090 does not entitle you to that feature automatically, since devs do not care or think for outlier GPUs. Although a setting would be welcome, dubbed "load more stuff, I have damn VRAM"

Back