Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

This is not at all my experience after seeing DLSS in so many titles. DLSS tends to be better at reprojecting the last frame than nearly all TAA.

Nvidia themselves said that DLSS 2.3 has improved handling of motion vectors. If it’s not re-projection artifacts then why does DLSS ghost more than TAA?

I think last gen consoles were in a worse position even without SLI.

Absolutely not. Last gen consoles sported mid-range GPU's, todays consoles sport mid-range gpus at best but lack in RT and performance.winning tech like DLSS (instead relying on hand coded stuff/TSSA etc). The GPU being the most important component for graphics. The CPUs are in a better position today than the Jaguar did, but at the same time thats largely due to Sony/MS choosing to actually downgrade the CPUs going from 7th to 8th gen for some reason. One step forwards two steps back kind of situation. Anything be an upgrade then... Anyway, the Zen2's are heavily downclocked (clockrate still matters..... quite much so) in a time where Zen3 launched which was quite a huge improvement.
16GB total aint much either, the 8gb of the 8th gen actually stood better memory wise (probably BW too). Todays gpus can be had with 16gb just for the gpu alone.

The only thing the current consoles have going for it is the SSD's, but even those where already outpaced at launch.

I see we are comparing GPUs here. So were the 3090 paired with 2700x or similar CPUs ?

Lol what. Obviously to feed a GPU like a 3090/6900XT you need a faster CPU relatively. The whole PC needs to scale according to its parts.
The 2700x is a strange comparison anyway, the consoles are closest to a 3700x (downclocked and cut-down cache sizes, in PS5 case, AVX too).

It's good to see Sony finally getting something that others have supported since 2018 or earlier.
Yet they will be the ones to make most active use of it in 1P titles.
Already going back adding unlocked framerates and 40fps modes.
Xbox had a USP for a long time and didn't make most of it.

It's good to see Sony finally getting something that others have supported since 2018 or earlier.

Even as far back as 2013. Last generation consoles do support it (OneS and OneX do). Its a last generation feature at best, nothing special even though welcomed.

Already going back adding unlocked framerates and 40fps modes.
Xbox had a USP for a long time and didn't make most of it.

Don't forget that Xbox has FPSBoost.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Activision acquisition is finalized, with respect to what new titles get added to the BC program and which ones get FPSBoost or other enhancements.

I do wish all of Xbox had ability for user-selected unlocked FPS, with typical disclaimer warning and all.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Activision acquisition is finalized, with respect to what new titles get added to the BC program and which ones get FPSBoost or other enhancements.

I do wish all of Xbox had ability for user-selected unlocked FPS, with typical disclaimer warning and all.

Xbox series consoles also have something similar to nvidias reflex right? I dont remember but it was some tech to reduce input latency (reflex does this). That in combination with an established VRR support is quite nice i think.

I would like to see unlocked framerate option for all games also, including BC FPS Boost.
Could then also keep 1X updates for those titles that drop to XO version then even.

FPS boost is nice, but I think generally it should be used as a fallback for 1P, and that's not really making use of VRR, 40fps modes which this is about.

There's plenty of titles that they could update for resolution(especially XSS) and fps/VRR.
Even their newer titles apart from flight sim don't really give options.

But as I said it's good that Sony is finally getting VRR and even better that some titles are getting updates.

Xbox series consoles also have something similar to nvidias reflex right? I dont remember but it was some tech to reduce input latency (reflex does this). That in combination with an established VRR support is quite nice i think.
What your thinking off is called dynamic input latency I believe.

Don't forget that Xbox has FPSBoost. It will be interesting to see what happens when Activision acquisition is finalized, with respect to what new titles get added to the BC program and which ones get FPSBoost or other enhancements.

The FPS Boost programme closed last year. I recall seeing a Microsoft blog post somewhere that said the next batch of games would be the last but cannot for the life of me find it now. Below is the tweet from Jason Ronald saying the FPS Boost technique was known to work on a few select titles - they were definitely good titles though! :yes:

Maybe they'll find another way, but I think Microsoft will do better spending their effort on forwards-looking things, rather than backwards. I say that mostly because they FPS-boosted almost every game I wanted them too. :LOL:

ninja edit: here is a link to the Xbox support forum where it was confirmed last month (March 2022)

The FPS Boost programme closed last year.

Everyone knows that or should know that.

Remember, Microsoft had to get permissions from the game developer/publisher to put them on Backwards Compatibility and FPSBoost. When Microsoft owns all of the Activision back catalog, they can give permissions to include all those titles where as Activision did not. That is the main point. The barrier to getting permissions from Activision is removed.

Remember, Microsoft had to get permissions from the game developer/publisher to put them on Backwards Compatibility and FPSBoost.

I took 'technique' to mean their technical approach, rather than some other barrier. I hadn't noticed that Activision games are absent from FPS Boost but that said, I can't think of anything other than Call of Duty which was 60fps.

LOL at him calling out the HDR when the display clearly shows YCbCr 422 8 bit.

At least 10bit 422 is required for HDR, and ideally 10or 12-bit RGB :(

LOL at him calling out the HDR when the display clearly shows YCbCr 422 8 bit.

At least 10bit 422 is required for HDR, and ideally 10or 12-bit RGB :(
I'm not sure if related but John from DF said it is not 8bits but an issue with how TV reports the input.
Exactly what he said "It’s not 8-bit- that’s an issue with how the TV reports the input".
But I'm not sure if true at all.

I'm not sure if related but John from DF said it is not 8bits but an issue with how TV reports the input.
Exactly what he said "It’s not 8-bit- that’s an issue with how the TV reports the input".
But I'm not sure if true at all.
Yeah, Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest reported it a while ago. I believe he has a video on his Youtube channel about it.

Back