Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not like for like scenes, not the same amount of enemies etc. The ~5fps delta is done with like for like comparisons in a splitted screen.

Have you seen video? It is the same scene xsx hitting 60 fps on many ocasiuons and probably even more while ps5 staying around 40 and not even close to hitting 60. There is no point in denying it, the performance diff is big, imo waaaaaay to big keeping in mind that the specs are roughly the same. Something is wrong here, i suspect diffrent builds or the game is way better optimised for xsx.

This game is (surprisingly) quite good looking especially with the characters! Maybe at 1800p both next gen consoles should be able to hit a locked 60 FPS. 40-ish 50-ish FPS are just annoying.

This game is (surprisingly) quite good looking especially with the characters! Maybe at 1800p both next gen consoles should be able to hit a locked 60 FPS. 40-ish 50-ish FPS are just annoying.
they both have 1620p mode with steady 60fps also

This was a great analysis from him. So to summarize what NXGamer found in RE8 (a game that is properly using I/O on both consoles) respectively some loadings:

- Default internal 2.3s (5500MB/s)
- fastest 2.1s (7000MB/s)
- (Series X)
- slowest 2.7s (5000MB/s).

On average he didn't find a big difference from default to fastest (1% average), but there is already a bigger difference between default to slowest (3%).

j7RtFYJ.png

If I look at those numbers it would seem that transfer rate isn’t the only factor at play.

If I look at those numbers it would seem that transfer rate isn’t the only factor at play.

Of course not. The I/O Complex and its software stack are also performing doing their job on the PS5, whereas the Series X might possibly be just using CPU decompression.
And I also don't think it's pushing the PS5's I/O to the limit. 2.1 seconds should be enough to entirely flush and refill almost all the 16GB on the PS5, but there's no way that's what Capcom is doing.

This was a great analysis from him. So to summarize what NXGamer found in RE8 (a game that is properly using I/O on both consoles) respectively some loadings:

- (Series X)

On average he didn't find a big difference from default to fastest (1% average), but there is already a bigger difference between default to slowest (3%).

j7RtFYJ.png
The thing to think about here is that at some point, the limiting factor is no longer the actual "i/o" as in the drive transfer speed, but probably something else, like the CPU.

The thing to think about here is that at some point, the limiting factor is no longer the actual "i/o" as in the drive transfer speed, but probably something else, like the CPU.

Or that the engine has to be modded to harness all the I/O godliness that is available on this gen, just like Insomniac mentioned in their interview with DF (I am aware you work there :) )

What? On PS5 and properly using the custom I/O the CPU is completely bypassed.

You're still gated by game code execution that runs on the CPU.
That should not take more than a few frames, ideally one frame. But it's the same loading here with the same data and the same game so it should take the same time.

- (Series X)

j7RtFYJ.png
Does the game use Sampler Feedback Streaming on Xbox?

Or would that not make any difference for initial level loads because it (I'm assuming) needs rendered frames to "sample" and get "feedback"?

Does the game use Sampler Feedback Streaming on Xbox?

Or would that not make any difference for initial level loads because it (I'm assuming) needs rendered frames to "sample" and get "feedback"?
I've not seen any developer of any title say they're taking advantage of Sampler Feedback yet.

But yea, it wouldn't help loading. SFS is a real time technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back