CUDA real-time path tracing demo

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by straaljager, Jul 2, 2010.

1. keldor

Newcomer

I mean idling at the kernel execution level - the GPU finishes TracePixelReference, copies the results back with memcpyDtoH, then proceeds to do absolutely nothing for around 500ms before starting the memcpyHtoD at the beginning of the next frame. (How many posts are needed until I can post my image without moderator approval?? >.<)

2. straaljager

Newcomer

Ok, that's very interesting. To be honest I'm not developing the core Brigade code and the CUDA path tracing kernels myself, I'm only messing around with the scene description files trying to create interesting demos that show off the strong points of path tracing. But I will forward your observations to the main developers. Can you tell what hardware and OS your running the demo on?

3. keldor

Newcomer

4. keldor

Newcomer

5. keldor

Newcomer

I suspect there's something silly going on, like a bad timer for your draw loop. I can't think of anything else that would cause a bubble of this size. Also, it's dependent on the output resolution - which is quite odd, since you would think that code outside of the render kernel would be constant cost...

6. straaljager

Newcomer

Thanks for the screenshot, this may be helpful. I've emailed the developers about this.

7. Roeny

Newcomer

allow me to join the conversation,

as you can see in most screenshots, brigade spends only 30% of the time on tracing, this is propably due to the converging as this is a heavy full float process
    or its because the demo itself is doing stuff ( physics ? )
    if you look at the mrays in the HUD you can see 2 numbers, the one on the left is the estimated performance if all time would be spent pathtracing, the second on is how many the brigade actually got to do.
    so if your app doesnt do anything these numbers should equal.
    the total overhead at the brigade side is ab 250us, if you move objects it will go up by a few ms ( never the 500ms we see here )

- Jeroen van Schijndel

8. keldor

Newcomer

Running at the minimum settings tells a similar story, though there's also a rather alarming bubble forming between the kernel and the copy back.

9. keldor

Newcomer

10. keldor

Newcomer

The big problem is that the idle time seems to be dependent on the render time. This rules out physics and BVH calculation since those really should be constant compute time per frame, but the idle time ranges from perhaps 40ms in the minimum settings to 400ms in the maximum settings. But there are the same number of physics objects and triangles in either case!

11. Roeny

Newcomer

Not really,

Its a ratio, so if you were to take the same demo with a more expensive GPU program the idletime would go down, but more importantly if you would make the CPU side faster the idle time also goes down, i attached a image showing this.

[​IMG]

anyway, great demo's out here, i should read this forum more often :)

- Jeroen van Schijndel ( Brigade developer )

12. Roeny

Newcomer

I posted a reply but its awaiting administrator approval or something, the reason your idle time goes up for a higher resolution is because, the converging takes longer for high resolution.
    anway I posted something that will explain some things using the power of fancy graphs.

-Jeroen van Schijndel

13. straaljager

Newcomer

#93 straaljager, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  14. straaljager

Newcomer

#94 straaljager, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  15. Roeny

Newcomer

very nice!

16. straaljager

Newcomer

I've made a new video featuring motion blur and a certain teapot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxELvSK3Gl0

Rendered in real-time with GPU path tracing using just one GeForce GTS 450. The motion blur effectively multiplies the number of samples per pixel per frame by 5-10 times for free.

17. straaljager

Newcomer

#97 straaljager, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  18. jbikker

Newcomer

I have uploaded some new demos of the Brigade2 path tracer. These should use multiple GPUs pretty much to their full potential. Available from: http://igad.nhtv.nl/~bikker .

The 'Reflect' download is a small game (inspired by Portal 2), supported by Bullet physics. The package for that game includes source code and Brigade library files + hedaers, in case you want to do some experiments.

Enjoy,
    - Jacco (main Brigade developer).

19. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Wow, that's very impressive! A bit grainy, though. :lol:

Finally a true ray-traced FPS game. I want to see how Tahiti runs it -- this GPU already hinted for its potential in RT.

20. straaljager

Newcomer