Crysis Wars (multiplayer)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by eezing, Sep 25, 2008.

1. eezing

Newcomer

This thread was created to voice your opinion about “Crysis Wars”, the multiplayer addition that’s bundled with “Crysis Warhead” (Crysis Wars only please, not Crysis, not Warhead :grin:).

IMO, Crysis Wars has the potential to be labeled as one of the best PC multiplayer games in history. Key word: Potential.

Game play is pretty solid considering the graphic quality and large amount of simultaneous events. The Nano suit adds an exciting mix to the multiplayer first person shooter genre… Cloak, wait for him to run by, Strength, click click and down he goes. Map environments are nothing short of amazing, with vegetation you can actually hide in, and in some cases get lost in. And, an overall well balanced multiplayer experience.

So, what’s missing? First, and most importantly… players. So far, the Crysis Wars community is very small. At any given time, I can find no more than three populated servers with under a hundred ping, and running the game type I want to play. Second, more game types; where is capture the flag, king of the hill, custom matches with single weapon types? Two game types just don’t cut it in Crysis Wars. Third, Squads; Crysis Wars gives you a feeling of disconnect from your teammates; the ability to create and join custom squads would eliminate that. Last, custom load outs. I want to be decked out with weapons of my liking upon respawn, not have to buy it or find it (something like COD 4).

So, what are your thoughts?

Do you like it?

Do you dislike it?

How do you feel about the Nano suit game play in a multiplayer environment?

What’s your opinion about the maps?

Not a great game? What would make it great? What would make it the best?

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Its so much better than Crysis. The levels are really well suited for the nanosuit and gameplay is well balanced as in balances, fights and material to use.

And I am sure many more will take the time to install the multiplayer part after they have recovered from the shock that is singleplayer (might take weeks to roll the tongue back into the mouth).

3. sonix666

Regular

I still have to test it. If I find the time this weekend I will. The use of the nanosuit in multiplayer does pose some nice tactics if you ask me.

4. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I'm loving Crysis Wars right now. The nanosuit really comes into its own in multiplayer. Speed is my weapon of choice right now :grin:.

If more people would start using mics it would be a lot more fun given the teamwork oriented nature of Power Struggle. Xbox Live spoiled me in this regard, although I suspect there is a higher proportion of non-native English speakers in Crysis than there is in Halo 3. Which reminds me, your Xbox headset will work if you plug it into a wired 360 controller, but the voice still comes through the main speakers :(

Is it just me or are the EA servers laggy?

5. daylimit

Newcomer

This game is awesome. I love it.

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Best multiplayer experience I had and I tested most FPS multiplayer modes/games for different platforms!

If anyone is interested I did a nice Crysis Wars config with good perfomance which is to be applied on high settings. It takes it to very high looks at less perfomance hit. I get 30-50fps in servers with lots of players @ 1440x900 4xAA, vsync on and 16xAF.

E8400, HD4870 512MB, 4GB RAM and running in 64bit DX9 mode.

Create a file named autoexec.cfg and put the below commands in it. Put the autoexec.cfg in your Crysis Wars folder.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1642/screenshot0000.jpg

#6 Neb, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  7. homerdog

Why do I get lag on servers where everyone including myself has a ping of <100ms? It really SUCKS. Normally I would just avoid these servers, but since there's so few to choose from... :(

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Dunno. If I am under 100ms then I dont get lag at all, even 32 players online. Though I noticed that some severs might not be up to the task to handle large amount of players without errors.

Also if you use 8xAA or even 4xAA at high resolutions you might get stuttering (even if above 30fps) due either VRAM limitations or code/bugs.

9. homerdog

This is my suspicion, as some servers don't lag at all and others do no matter what the pings are. EA servers are (were? where'd they go..) the worst offenders.

I don't play with AA and generally get ~40fps, though it can dip will into the 20s at times. Very frustrating in a multiplayer game. Here's hoping my future i7 + GT300/RV870 build can smooth things out. :smile:

10. Buran

Newcomer

I agree in that "potential" is the key word. I'm having a lot of fun with Crysis Wars despite is one of the most harder mp that I did experienced, but at the same time I find very nice the improvements over his first Crysis multiplayer incarnation.

Things that are right:

-Only three game modes (Instant Action, Team Instant Action and Power Struggle). You probably don't need more; Battlefield ones are mostly played in Conquest mode, and adding a new ones if the game is playede by a low number of gamers will fragment even more the comunity. I like a lot the adding of TIA because Instant Action (deathmatch) was a prety thought mode to start to rookies. Playing in teams is much more usefull to train the aim skills and basic mechanics of the gunplay, and TIA is much more straightfoward to action than Power Strugle, because the size of the maps in PS often are too big to keep the guns firing all time.

TIA is the main choice to train your skills and the use of the nano-suit modes, deploy basic tactics and learn about teamwork and coordination. At this moment, is my fav mode to play by far.

-Weapon costumization. Not a surprise, is one of the key features of the sp campaigns and is lovably how well works in mp. Weapons works so fine with laser aimpoiters taht you probably don't need crosshair when you wield one. You can chose betwen iron open sights, reflex and two scopes, grenade launchers and silencers and it lets you a lot of room to build an arsenal with your own preferences.

-Use of the nano-suit. Even if I more oriented towards mp shooters in which the calses has not "exceptional powers" like BF2, UT III or Quake Wars, I'm enjoying the use of the Strenght, Speed, Cloack and of course Armor (the main) mode. In some maps with vertical assets and urban warfare the deep of the game is improved because those features.

-Auto downloading: first Crysis mp lacks this feature. Now the game can download and install any custom map in which you join in matter of seconds, and you can enjoy without tedious manual installs. Taking in consideration that there's more than 200 maps to C Wars mp -some of them better thatn the originals in terms of gameplay- now the multiplayer is much more attractive.

-New damage system: in C Wars the damage from weapons is bigger than in Crysis mp, which means less hits to kill, which is more friendly to noobs and average players. Was a bit frustrating in Crysis mp that sometimes the best player have more kills that all the other players in his team (or the whole players in IA). Now the best players still retain his crown and can dominate others, but not as "godlike" as before. This better appeal will keep more average players into the game.

-Graphics. Even with some low res textures ocasionally finded in the maps, Crysis Wars is much closer to the sp campaign in terms of visuals than previous Crysis mp. The fx an the lightning is amazing, and the game runs nicelly in any PC with a 8800 GT or better at 1680 x 1050. Some players are lowing his settings to obtain better frames, but to me is a waste, because I really love how well looks compared to the rest of the mp games around.

Things to improve:

1-The need of a permanet grade system with ranks and personal stats, like BF2/2142, COD 4 or Quake Wars. These system will keep playing the people to unlock new items or impove his personal stats. Is the key of the succes of the games like latest BF/COD, and the main reason to atract new players.

2-More weapons. Crysis Wars need to add some vicious weapons like the ones in Far Cry: Jackhammer shotgun, FN P90, MP5, and new ones like the G36, G11, Steyr ACR, F2000, Tar-21, Steyr Aug, the cal .50 Barret rifles, etc. Some minor tweaches between the fire rates, damage, dispersion, new modes of fires like the 3 round burst, and you will end with 30 weapons silghtly different as in BF2 instead of the actual 10 ones (in which the SCAR, FY and MP7 are vastly the most used). Add a knife.

3-Add a mode to play only with normal soldiers in a class/kit system. Let the players to choice their gear like in BF 2142 limiting their weapons and equipment like in COD 4 system. Make 4-6 specializated class that can provide specific features like health packs, ammunition packs, temporal radar scanning, etc. Also, the rewards must be in form of points per damage, not per kill -I'm tired to see how I reduce to 10% the health life of enemies in a firefight to see how the man is killed by a teammate. Use the system from COD 4.

4-New ballistic system. Making use of parabolic fall in long range shots -maybe wind- and material penetration. Make the attached grenade launcher usefull -the delay and small blast radious makes this one near to useless now-. Reduce the precision and damage with the range as in BF 2142; pistols must be useless at long range. Make that frag grenades can erase claymores.

5-Changes in the HUD: disable the grenade HUD warnings and disable permanet radar; change the colour of our character in the minimap to make easier to known our position (orange don't fit well with the other icons in Power Struggle, too much indications).

6-The main advice: Focus in a Quest mode like BF 2. Maintain flags to win and power installations to gain access to vehicles, but forget destoy headquarters. Most of the matches wiith noobs ends in a tie because someones don't known how to buy TAC nuke launcher/tank and how to proceed. More small to medium size maps as in PS "Devastation", to keep the firefights constantly instead of long journeys driving/walking like in ones like "Mesa". More urban firefights instead of long range cloaking sniping. Make maps like Shar Qi Peninsula or Road to Jalallabad, and keep the vehicles in support functions as jeeps, hovercrafts.

I'm sure that with some changes in the maps designs, the addition of new weapons and a class system and a ranked centralized stats system the game would improve a lot his popularity. Taking in consideration the changes in C Wars I'm sure that new iterations in future Crysis games can do the work and up his popularity.

Excuse my bad english.

11. homerdog

Those two points would make excellent changes (not that your other suggestions are bad :smile:). Care would have to be taken so the ranking system doesn't get exploited (the game is crawling with cheaters). It would also help if more people actually played...

A revamped ballistics model would be very welcome. In particular it seems odd that there's no bullet penetration.

I've noticed there is never anyone playing on the DX10 servers :???:. Maybe the lag with the physics and all would be too much? A LAN party in DX10 mode; hmm...maybe I can convince my friends to get real computers. :razz:

12. Buran

Newcomer

The lack of users in DX 10 servers is maybe because the XP/Vista proportion of players, and the fact that DX 9 servers can support dynamical changes in the day/night cycle; so the main reason to play DX 10 is the support of enviroment destruction, which usually isn't the main point in current shooters. And yes, performance under XP helps a bit, so there is not a lot of reasons to play in DX servers. At least, until Windows 7 will be massively adopted.

13. slapnutz

Regular

Just an FYI for those who are unaware.

Crysis Wars is having a free week.

http://www.mycrysis.com/newsdetails.php?news=42462

My friend and I were able to host our own private internet game using randomly typed cdkeys. Good stuff!

(bumped old post instead of new one to save server space/bandwith or whatever:razz:)