Crysis, Warhead, Far Cry sales numbers from Crytek

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Davros

Legend

Oh how threads go off topic, when I bought f-14 fleet defender it was 2 years before I could play it, because it needed 2048kb of xms and I only had 2048kb of ram (I got confused ;))
    At least it gave me time to study the manual

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

One more for the great gameplay camp here. I'm playing Warhead for the first time at the moment and regardless of the graphics its one of the best FPS's I've ever played. I'd honestly rate it higher than any of the recent Call of Duty games in terms of sheer fun. Its probably not quite up there with Halo for me but there's not much else I've played (FPS wise) that I've enjoyed more.

3. Vic

Vic
    Regular

Absolutely, how is it mediocre? Laa-Yosh is talking like all the COD games are classics! In reality, the last 4 games are all very similar gamers limited in scope but in different settings.

4. Davros

Legend

no idea, but i do think the cod games also had fantastic gameplay (although I havnt played modern warfare 2)

5. I.S.T.

Veteran

I thought Far Cry was a good, though not spectacular game. Crysis was shit. The nanosuit was a good idea poorly implemented(Way too little energy). The gunplay was sloppy, and the general gameplay had what I can only describe as a dull filter on it.

Pretty, pretty game. Terrible fucking game.

And before anyone asks, I only play FPS games on the PC, and I've never played a Halo or COD game. I'll take no accusations of bias.

6. tabs

Veteran

Conversley I really disliked the suit idea but felt very positive about the game overall. I'm going through probably my 4th play through at the moment. Really I just wanted an up to date Far Cry like experience, so the suit was a bit of a turn off for me. Besides, it makes the game too easy.

I think Crysis aged well. I like it more time I go back to play it.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Your opinion is fine, your not forcing it onto others. Youre not saying others opinions are wrong and invalidated by yours being fact, it's fine.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

It seems to me that in comparision with newer FPS games Crysis gameplay just gets even better. With all the "McDonalds" FPS games it sure sticks out even more to taste a delicious quite healthy royal dinner.

9. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

The irony is delicious!

A second course of irony!

And a third! No more please, I'm full!

Neither of us has counted the internets, and neither of us has a scientific basis to prove that the things we think we've seen represent The Truth.

Generally I'd expect the game to be used to try and "inflate" (boost?) sales of much more expensive hardware rather than the console be used to boost sales of the game. No doubt there are some people who can't find a system / graphics card / whatever without a given game (not usually the case with Halo/Crysis) or they just don't care about any extra price, but I think in the case of something like Halo the popularity of the game was used to try and boost the popularity of the console.

Bundling where you can opt out is really just about adding value, same as the Crysis Maximum Edition.

Absolutely, but it's quite a good example of using the game to try and boost sales of the hardware (and better a £300 gpu/console than a box of cereal!).

Yeah, Crysis certainly wasn't helped much by it's mulitplayer (compared to COD/Halo). Co-op would have been good, although maybe it wouldn't have got as much use on PC as it does on consoles.

10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But you can make close calls by actually doing what I said, check thread history on different forums with search function, do it for the most know games. Do same at YT etc. I base it on that aswell as during the years as member of different forums it's been quite pronounced even to this day, 3 years.

I base it on experience since I participate in different forums aswell as Crysis forums and archived history by search and participation. I doubt you had so much interest in Crysis to be around and experience it all.

Lets use this forum as an example. If I do a search with "Crysis" and your name, how many threads/post do you think it will show, where you participated (do both post and thread search)?

Have you really followed Crysis talk during the years? Is PC platform really in your interest? Do a search with only your name and PC section, results as threads.

Now do it with my name to see my participation in Crysis topics/threads/Crytek. Keep the answer to yourself, I already know it. :)

That is true.

They opted for what was mostly a general crowd quite tactical gameplay in large environments. In many ways akin to Arma multiplayer style which targets limited crowd. It now looks like they aimed for the easy to digest gameplay type of Halo 3MP/COD MP. Should increase the interest in multiplayer quite a bit.

#90 Neb, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  11. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

I do 95% of my gaming on the PC, but the console industry is much more interesting to follow and to talk about. Talking about the games industry on PC forums is generally an exercise in frustration, and if you try you're constantly butting heads with the PC Gaming Taliban.

Searching for my name and seeing which forums I post on says absolutely nothing about the validity of my views on Crysis as a game or Crysis as a gaming/industry phenomenon (or not). Similarly, your interest in Crysis does nothing to validate your opinion on either of these subjects.

You find what you look for, and if you keep looking for people guilty of being "console gamers" who say things you don't like about Crysis you'll find them. And if you dwell on this you'll start accusing "console gamers" of smear campaigns against a game most of them don't actually care much about one way or the other.

No doubt a few of them do, but then again a proportion of PC gamers go into console forums/threads and espouse Crysis, extol the virtues of superior PC hardware and talk about "Game X" as being a "completely different game" because of graphics tweak Y and mouse and keyboard support. The response you think you see to Crysis could just as easily be a response to Crysis zealots.

Like I say, people find what they look for and if they keep looking it becomes their reality.

Easy to digest isn't a bad thing so long as there's depth. Halo is very deep (the matchmaking hides this from beginners) and you can see how year after year a focus on the mechanics of every single weapon and object, and of combinations of weapons and objects, has led to small chunks of game that people will play ten, hundreds, or thousands of times. You can then build a game up out of these small, versatile chunks and perfect it with closely monitored Beta testing.

Crysis is different - the landscapes are bigger and level design has to be approached differently. At times I think the actual combat suffered as a result. Getting multiplayer right (and the focus this brings) should help them to make a better game overall. I actually think the success or failure of Crysis on consoles will come down to how well Crytek can make this transition in scale and focus.

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Explain bolded part as that can be applied to many forums/discussions with individuals having different preferences. But I would guess it would be equal to a 'hardore fanboy that has no backup material and just enforces opinions'? Thats a quite classic occurrence in the console section.

Dont twist the message, it's not wether you like the game or not but about sampling range. My point was clearly to show that to be able to get closer to a factual truth you need to have a broad knowledge base to sample. The forum search here was to show you participation amount and thus sampling range for in this case this forum. It clearly shows who "explored more of the world" so to say. :)

Dont mix 'console gamers' with 'console fanboys', please. There is a clear difference in their interest/talk about Crysis or other games in related topics and also what material if any they have to back their claims up.

I have no problem with legit complaints. The problem steams from fake/stagged complaints that can be verified as fake/stagged by playing the game/CE2. Opinions enforced onto others repeatedly, onliners like "only a techdemo", not playable becouse it from time to time dips under 30fps (that remark died quite fast when Digital Foundry was born) and more! :lol:

And in this thread alone you got 2 good examples. First being "glorified techdemo" and such can only come from someone who doesn't care about game nor have played which begs the question why they are interested in game 3 years after release!

Second is enforcing opinions which seems quite common in for example console section. "What I say is truth accept it and I dont need to explain why, period". How about this "...please accept that in reality it's a mediocre game...".

But some can back it up with relevant material as of how they came to the conclusion. Now if others wants to ignore the relevant material to fit their agenda they push or opinion, well thats their loss in the discussion but others can form their own opinions by taking part of material.

Didn't say it is bad approach aslong as it is well executed.

#92 Neb, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  13. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

crysis is in my top 10 fps's easily for the fun factor alone. it did get kinda dull towards the end but so did half life 1. it doesnt detract too much from the overall package in either case, imo at least.

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Crytek also needs to improve the IMO awfull "bosses". Either it's some kind of arcady battle with steps to reach or it's just sandbags with same health decrease no mather if you unload the minigun onto their heads.

15. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

But what if the head was the strong part? Cue Rhino or anything similar. I never understood why everything had to be vulnerable to being shot in the head when with many creatures you're told specifically to aim for the body even if a head shot presents itself.

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Well the general in Crysis has no helmet and is a human and his head with delta difficulty can absorb an unbelievable amount of damage.

17. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

Well as far as I know it might be pretty hard to get a headshot when a bear or moose is storming at you, and even with easier situation the head is still usually pretty small target. Unclean hit can create a complicated situation.

Needless to say though that if you shoot a proper hit to any living things head with a hunting rifle, the game is over.

18. Squilliam

Veteran

And there I was thinking the general was just a hard arse... :lol:

Though a well aimed shot anywhere on most land base creatures to its body and the game is over. Most people don't get up again after being shot in the chest with body armour. I don't see the reason why its 2-3 shots on the body and always 1 on the head. Probably because mouse aiming is too quick that you have to limit the lethal zone to a very small area.

19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I think they meant for him to have his cheap Korean nansuit mask on but they didnt apply it but it still might. Maybe why his head is like lead.

Anyway considering Crytek are amongst the leaders in pushing tech I would have liked to have seen soft flesh on charaters that can be torn off. Now not for humans due to restrictions but for aliens. It would be amazing to see and experience how for example the minigun would tear of the skin, flesh chunks and armor pieces of aliens. If fleshed out that would be more impressive to me than object/building destruction/deformation.

Sure though they skip this for Crysis 2 due to what such things require and that it is multiplatform now.

Anyway besides the boss fights the rest is fairly realistic. killing soldiers by headshot usually only requires 1 hit. Now if they got helmet they might survive depeding on range. I've heared complaints about soldiers in Crysis requiring to many hits but since they wear bodyarmor they wont go down easy at distance with a silenced SCAR/AK. However a well placed headshot even at distance with silenced weapon is enough unless you hit helmet. Without silencer they go down quite easy at distance and I play with delta difficulty.

I made this video sometime ago in slowmotion to see the animations and effects etc which pass by so fast otherwise. This was on delta difficulty. Shows damage system is good.

These videos are great to showing vanilla AI. The most impressive part is how they react to environemnt by themselves as the nav points where just default basic auto generated grid with no interest points at all yet they use cover and rect to cover movement with little problem. It's quite impressive seeing how their animations are quite correct based on how they are hit. The last video shows a soldier getting hit on the shoulder having him tilt with his gun firing down onto ground.

Also I cant believe anyone would find Crysis easy with nanosuit at delta difficulty. It's damn hard with a few shots ripping your protection off and soldiers doing more blind firing to flank you aswell as more soldiers actively aiming for you.

You got settings categories that explains what happens for each difficulty setting. This also makes me laugh when people say they hit you from a mile away or hundreds of meters when active firing range is below 100m at delta difficulty (roughly 50m for soldiers, mounted guns farther away and boats more)! :lol:
    Code:
    -- HARD

-- AI Detection speed
    ai_SOMSpeedRelaxed = 0.4
    ai_SOMSpeedCombat = 0.1

-- Alive time
    ai_RODAliveTime = 0.75
    ai_RODMoveInc = 0.5
    ai_RODStanceInc = 0.5
    ai_RODDirInc = 0.3
    ai_RODAmbientFireInc = 1.5
    ai_RODKillZoneInc = -1.0

-- AI fire reaction time
    ai_RODReactionTime = 0.05
    ai_RODReactionDistInc = 0.05
    ai_RODReactionLeanInc = 0.1
    ai_RODReactionDirInc = 0.5

-- Cover fire time modifier (cover fire time specified in weapon)
    ai_RODCoverFireTimeMod = 1.0

-- ROD ranges - percents of attackRange AI property
    ai_RODKillRangeMod = 0.2
    ai_RODCombatRangeMod = 0.6

-- Ambient fire, enemies not in the quota cannot hit the player.
    ai_AmbientFireUpdateInterval = 0.5
    ai_AmbientFireQuota = 5

-- Low health effect duration and health threshold
    ai_RODLowHealthMercyTime = 2.0
    g_playerLowHealthThreshold = 40

-- Player Health/Energy/Suit
    g_suitCloakEnergyDrainAdjuster = 1
    g_suitRecoilEnergyCost = 7
    g_suitSpeedEnergyConsumption = 110
    g_suitSpeedMult = 1.85
    But this aside the AI is very good and sadly they never by default enabled interest system (maybe it can break intended design when soldiers might wander of or get alerted by nature/world).

I have had it enabled and it was a blast. One example is when I was in stealth mode sneaking onto a jeep with turret standing still on the road next to bushes. Suddenly the turret controlling soldier opens fire against rattling bushes to his near right and I was about 20m infront not near them. The soldier blind fires for 3-4seconds then stops when a FROG jumps out of the bushes. The frog was making noises and making bushes rattle scaring the soldier! :shocked:

Code:
    ai_InterestSystem=1
    ai_InterestEnableScan=1
    ai_InterestDetectMovement=1

#99 Neb, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  20. Squilliam

Veteran

Thats pretty intense stuff, Nebula. Too bad the player showcasing the game sucked as bad as he did. I've never seen anyone struggle with Delta difficulty like that. :razz: JK

You probably know the game inside/out better than many of the staff at Crytek! :lol: