Crysis, Warhead, Far Cry sales numbers from Crytek

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Jan 3, 2011.

1. joker454

Veteran

Hmm, it used to be par for the course with Origin games. Way back, any game made by Origin required "current best hardware + 1" to run properly, but people loved them irregardless. Perhaps people today are just far less tolerant of that though, especially when their brand new machine can't run a new game decently. Kind of ironic though because today it's cheap as hell to upgrade a pc, whereas back in Origin's heyday it would cost a large chunk of change.

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I've read that Strike Commander's install program has to decompress some sort of fractal compression used on the floppies because Origin really wanted to squeeze that game down as much as possible (fewer floppies!). This obviously took forever on the low end 486s of the time. :D Origin rocked. I wish they were still around.

Overall, I'd say that it's an indication of today's gamer being younger and less mature. Gaming is far more popular today than it was back then primarily because of improved visuals I think. It's attracting quite a different crowd today.

#62 swaaye, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

By that time high resolution monitors where already cheap enough to be embraced by the general mass. While Crysis on v.h ran quite fine at highest setting it was at 720p or a bit higher (mid 2006 hardware like Q6600/E6600 or better and 8800GTX/Ultra). However as said this was at 1280x720 or slightly higher. However many already had high resolution monitors and they wanted to keep native res thus doing 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 and even 1920x1200 was not possible at v.h with a single 8800GTX and even less with MSAA enabled.

So in short 720p was not really enough as most already played other games at far higher resolution and 720p being really in PC terms by 2005/2006 a lastgen resolution (not a big improvement over the standard 1024x768 res used by many back in 2001-2004). Crytek tech/perfomance bar was set for 720p res in a time where the PC gamers where expecting to be able to do far higher res at max settings.

Obviously ego comes in to for those with outdated hardware expecting to be able to run game in high resolution and/or settings despite game being scalable and v.h not only setting to play game in. Everybody wanted to have v.h settings and be part of the "I was eye raped by Crysis" club.

Anyway I am sure Crysis 2 will target ~high-end hardwares capabilities at 1080p res.

#63 Neb, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  4. Davros

Legend

my strike commander came on cd
    pps: little bit of trivia, it was the first game to use Gouraud shading

5. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

6. Davros

Legend

hmm not sure (at the time i bought svga harrier instead, still have it btw)
    I remember the dudes from origin said they were the first to do it on the pc (or was that texturemapping + gouraud shading)

7. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

It was texture mapped terrain that Strike Commander was a first at; it didn't even had perspective correction at that time :)
    Harrier was simply gouraud shader but no textures, neither on the ground nor on the airplanes.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Some game came in both floppies and CDs. I had XCOM series on discs, Microproses F15 Tomcat, and KGB. KGB Conspiracy is a hilarious one becouse the CD version came with videos of your father which gave you hints if you used function. Cheesy videos with a quite famous actor which name has slipped my mind. :lol2:

9. Davros

Legend

donald sutherland wasnt it

ps: the f14 is the tomcat f15 is the eagle
    do you mean F-14 Fleet Defender
    or F-15 Strike Eagle

10. PhilB

Regular

Really? I mean I understand if you don't like it but saying it's a reality that it's a poorly executed/mediocre game is nonsense. Crysis was released to almost universal acclaim from what I remember and while I admit there's certain flaws about it (mostly technical), I think the good far outways the bad. Well to each their own anyway...

11. Bajzel

Newcomer

I agree with the others, you're full of it Laa-yosh, Crysis is a fantastic game. Everybody I know that played it loves it. And not just the graphics but the gameplay. To this day there is no other fps that matches it. I noticed something though, those who'se primary gaming platform is not the pc sure love to rag on it.

12. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Unless I misunderstood you, I don't believe Halo / Call of Duty recieved much in the way of any real bundling. Halo 3 special edition didn't even come with the game! Call of Duty special editions were Xbox 360 only and they cost $100 more. Im not putting down the great achievement Crytek had with Crysis, the thing is some games simply grow to outrageous levels.

13. aaronspink

Veteran

Yes some of the old Origin games required and recommended configurations where hilarious:

Required, the absolute top of the line
    Recommended, something might be out soon!

I remember some of the wing commander games where you could literally have bought the fastest machine possible 6 months ago and it qualified for the required hardware, barely.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Have to backup Laa-Yosh and others on this.

Crysis as a game wasn't anything to speak about. Mediocre gameplay at best. But fantastic graphics.

As to negativity towards the game, most of the complaints I've seen against Crysis have come from PC gamers with very little from console gamers.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Crysis 2 sells better on console than it does on PC just due to the fact there aren't as many negative connotations associated with it as there is among some groups of PC gamers.

Regards,
    SB

15. swaaye

Legend

Wing Commander III baby. 1994. The SVGA mode ran at about 15fps on the fastest 486. Pentium 60/66 was just out and might get you up to 20 or so. :) 2X CDROMs (the standard of the time) could barely manage to stream the video smoothly.

And yes I thought Crysis kicked ass. It was a super enhanced Far Cry and that was what I was looking for. I wish these guys would go back to their roots and maybe recreate that way-too-far-ahead-of-its-time Jurassic Park: Tresspasser game with their tech.

#75 swaaye, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  16. L. Scofield

Veteran

What's mediocre about the gameplay?

17. swaaye

Legend

The people who say that are probably just not interested in the gameplay style.

For example, I think The Witcher sucks because I'm not much into fantasy and certainly don't want to play a "deep" fantasy RPG and do little alchemy quests. But I know that some fantasy RPG people think the game is the shit. I'm more into the Dark Messiah style of fantasy gaming.

And I think Mass Effect 2's reduction of traditional RPG stuff is an improvement and I know for certain that I will be called a "casual dumb downer simpleton" because of this. :D

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

The longtime 'dwellers' also seems to have 360 as preference (based on multiple forums which I read/participate as of years ago and their post history). Some things are just so predicatable it's scary but maybe it has to do with amount of interesting exclusives available on each platform. :FoxMulder: :lol:

Anyway as PhilB said, each to their own but people trying to bruteforce opinions as fact on others years after years is just pathetic... and for so little interest in Crysis it sure gets the attention from non interested people even to this date ( mindblowing). Anyway I enjoyed it, you to , PhilB and probably most of the 3+ million that bought it... so did the reviewers. After 3 great games I do hope they make the fourth a success to.

Yep Donald Sutherland it was and the game was F-14 Fleet Defender. Damn good game and I even spotted a UFO once during a night mission. landing on hangar at night was also awesome.

19. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

And how about the fights to free up as much of the 640k base memory as you could? Editing and creating separate versions for autoexec.bat and config.sys because some games required EMS and others XMS, looking for the mouse driver with the smallest memory footprint... That's the part I definitely don't miss ;)

20. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

I think mission load times were literally in the 5-10 minute range. Maybe there was a hard drive install though?