Crysis, Warhead, Far Cry sales numbers from Crytek

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I said it quite sometime ago either on this forum or other forum. 3+ million and people said "how do you know?"... crow stew served.
    http://www.zuse.hessen.de/mm/Konrad_Zuse_Kongress_Yerli_Final.pdf

[​IMG]

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=28087

#1 Neb, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I wonder how the development costs varied between them. I imagine that Crysis was by far the most expensive.

I'd also guess that Crysis 2 is going to make them a boatload of money because of the original's reputation and it being multiplatform.

3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

3 million to break even? :|

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Most likely the cost of Crysis, CE2, tools, promotion material and perhaps even to counter for shelved projects.

#4 Neb, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  5. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Aslong as they dont alienate their fanbase/player base of 3+ million players on the PC and scare away console players with unfullfilled promises and PS3 users hating on "untapped potentials" factor. Heh!

6. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

That makes it sound like the PS3 is a self improvement camp.

7. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Yeah ! See that ! Crysis is the king !Warhead was a bloody gameplay failure, as far as I am concerned ! It must be the dev costs for the engine that makes Crysis only break even, while the damned Warhead is a success at half the sales. Good to know Crysis sold more :cool: !

8. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Crysis also probably sold most of those 3 million copies at a discount or as bundles. Even that way it still sounds pretty much unbelievable - a PC game selling this many copies is unheard of, especially considering the hardware requirements.

9. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

And lets not forget that Crysis making even income and Warhead a financial success was before 02-06-2009. Crysis also sold over 1 million copies within 2 months after launch.

10. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I really don't understand this. I'm playing Warhead now and its ridiculously good. I loved Crysis's gameplay but Warhead takes that and simply makes it better. The action's more intense and there are more tactical options because of the new weapons and vehicles.

I'm only part way through so I can't speak for the whole game but I hear there's much more emphasis human fighting than alien fighting this time round which is another big bonus.

My advise would be for anyone that hasn't already got Warhead to pick it up straight away. It may be old but there's still nothing I've seen that competes graphically and most modern hardware should be able to handle it just fine. I'm playing with max details at 1920x1200 and 4xAA on my 4890 and C2D E6600. Its not perfectly smooth but its plenty playable.

11. Squilliam

Veteran

Which is pretty amazing sales for a simulator. Since when was the last time a simulator crossed over 1M sales, let alone 3M? :lol:

Anyway I think we're in a period of strong PC gaming growth again. I get the feeling because of Steam leading a visible recovery and giving developers a clear way to make revenue, especially for these single player games, also because we're finally getting basic computers with the ability to play modern games since everything has stagnated nicely over these past few years. It can only really get better with Sandy Bridge and AMD fusion power.

12. Karoshi

Newcomer

Crysis is the best simulator out there. It simulates a FPS perfectly.

13. tabs

Veteran

Won't we have the same problems when the next wave of consoles hit?

14. Squilliam

Veteran

The next wave of consoles are about 2 years away minimum, the next wave of big games will mostly still work on current consoles for at least another 2 years after that.

15. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I wonder how much copies of Crysis + Warhead was sold on Steam sale this Christmas.
    The price was so good that for convenience of not putting DVD disc from my L.E. Crysis to a drive I've bought 2nd copy of Steam! On top of that I know 2 persons who bought complete packs during that sale :smile:.

16. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I bought it also, it was hard not to at those prices.

17. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

The download market is a godsend for something like Crysis. It has a big name, still looks nice and at the kind of prices it's been on offer for you'd need a good reason not to have a punt. It must have raked in another few tens of thousands of sales this holiday (if not more).

I nearly bought it again on Steam this Christmas even though the box is literally 3 feet away from me.

Good though it is that Crysis has sold 3 million copies, I bet Crytek are hoping that Crysis 2 will shift that many at full price and have a long tail.

I can't remember the number, but Half Life 2 has sold a stupid number of copies now. Up above 10 million iirc.

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/12617-crytek_spent_22_million_making_crysis_still_profitable/

#18 Neb, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  19. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

The link above doesn't give the date of 2007 for the game being profitable, it simply states that talking in August 2008 he said it was profitable. By that time it should have sold well over a million.*

I'd like to know how many of the game's sales were electronic - the game tanked at US retail for instance, but overall sales have been pretty strong. I'd also be interested to see how many sales were as part of the Maximum Edition - a great value bundle that arrived as user PC specs were catching up with the games higher settings.

*A million sales on it's own doesn't really guarantee success on it's own IMO. Shenmue sold a million copies with a userbase of well under ten million, but is frequently described as having bombed!

20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Game came out 16 November 2007, not much of 2007 to talk about. By late January it had sold over a million copies. By that announcement EA also clarified they where pleased with how Crysis sales where doing saying "strong performer with sales exceding expectations".

http://seekingalpha.com/article/626...q08-qtr-end-12-31-07-earnings-call-transcript

#20 Neb, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011