Crysis SP demo landing Sept. 25

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Aug 27, 2007.

1. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I would have to disagree on that one Morgoth. I'm only able to play at high details with low res (granted the game still looks amazing) however i'm still enthralled by the gameplay.

Its the sheer variety of how to approach a situation that makes it so playable IMO. I must have played the demo at least 20 times now (messing around, not start to finish) and no two times have been the same, or for that matter, even particularly similar! Its the nano suit that does it for me. When I originally heard about the concept I figured it was little more than a gimick however now that i'm used to using it I realise it opens up the gameplay options enormously.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

So whats the deal with the DX10 path. Since it seems people running XP can turn on all(or only most?) of the Very High features via settings, is Crysis actually using any DX10 shader code to improve performance for those settings? Or is it the same shaders for both?

3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

In DX10 moe it should add the SSS for the elaves (translucency leaves) and better motion-blur (object based). Those 2 should be real perfomance drainers.

4. pjbliverpool

Legend

I just ran a few GPU timedemos on my system at High in DX9 and DX10. This is at 1280x800 and 8xAF. Here are the results:

DX9:
    Run1: 26.33
    Run2: 27.87
    Run3: 27.65
    Run4: 27.65

DX10:
    Run1: 25.01
    Run2: 26.48
    Run3: 26.44
    Run4: 26.42

DX9:
    Run1: 26.26
    Run2: 27.70
    Run3: 27.62
    Run4: 27.57

DX10:
    Run1: 25.33
    Run2: 26.50
    Run3: 26.46
    Run4: 26.43

Seems that on a GTS 640 at least, DX9 is a little faster.

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

And we would have a pissing match simply because these are the internetz, right, where it's forbidden by God's Law for people to disagree:D. If i gave you the impression that I'm trying to convince you(or anyone else, for that matter), that Crysis is an incredibly technically advanced been-there-done-that title(hello, FarCry), I'm quite sorry. I was simply stating my personal opinion WRT the game. Perhaps you're familiar with the following words of wisdom:"Opinions are like arseholes-everybody has one!", so allow me to have mine, aye?:D

6. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I didn't say you were wrong, but I did indeed challenge you to find another game that gives you anything like the full gammut of game options as Crysis. You specifically mentioned graphics being the only saving grace, but you'd completely written off 3/4 of the game by doing so.

7. kyleb

Veteran

Curious, with the settings I am running on my 8800gt it is the other way around, and by a few more frames as well. Even more curious is that gained a few more FPS by swtiching from the 64bit exe to the 32bit version.

8. pjbliverpool

Legend

Perhaps DX10 saves on bandwidth/fillrate but puts more pressure of shaders. In that case the GT with its greater shader reserves but lower bandwidth/fillrate would benefit while the GTS could suffer.

it may be worth running the time demo a good few times though. I got some very strange results the first few runs until it finally settled down into what you see above.

9. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

The shader cache may be acting up just like in the beta mp demo. You could test removing the shader cache and re-tesing to see what happens.

10. almighty

Banned

It would'nt suprise me if Crysis is 90+% DX9 based, afterasl Far Crys shader we 90+% DX8 based.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

That would mean there is quite some more room for perfomance improvements under DX10. :grin:

12. kyleb

Veteran

I haven't done any more benchmarks, but havings switched to 32bit mode for gameplay and switching back to 64bit, I switched back to 32bit again as it runs notably better.

13. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Or very little if there's barely any Dx10 codebase to work with :???:

14. pjbliverpool

Legend

Someone should benchmark the very high settings in Vista against the hacked very high settings in XP to see exactly what the difference is. In fact i'm sure I have read a review were they did just that. I don't recall the Vista/DX10 settings being particularly faster but then there were some visual differences. Its reasonable to asusme that you can't get all of the DX10/v.high effects with the hack.

15. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I'm picking it up later. My fear is that this game will be the very death knell of my video card. When I play the demo I can hear the fan running at it's top speed, and when I put my hand behind my machine it feels like an oven.

I'm also contemplating renaming this thread so people can continue to discuss the final version, appropriately.

16. kyleb

Veteran

Well you can do hacked very high in DX9 on Vista too, and at least in the demo using the hack doing so and looking at the displayinfo shows the hacked very high has a lower tris count.

17. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I really don't like the fact that you can't put the shaders on medium without disabling AA completely. Is there any way around this? This stupid problem has been around since beta.

18. kyleb

Veteran

Yeah, that is a pisser. Another thing I'm unhappy with is the fact that I can't use 720p because the game wants to run it at 50hz which comes out stretched way too wide on my plasma, so I've been living with 1138x640 instead. Anyone know a way to force a 60hz refresh rate in the game?

19. Piotr

Newcomer

Thanks a lot Nebula, I tried your tweak yesterday and that's amazing !

20. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

X800XL AGP powering Crysis on High detail
    I jumped the res to 1280x1024 for one of them. You have to run 800x600 to get this playable.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I noticed that the wave action is more like Far Cry. Cloak is simpler translucency. Flashlight doesn't project. And the lighting in general is less complex.

#680 swaaye, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007