Crysis SP demo landing Sept. 25

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Obakan

Regular

Have been playing around with the Sandbox 2 for a while, it´s amazing, and thanks for the guide Nebula!
    Anyone tested the Singularity Tank? :D And did you know that you can add enemy A.I.s and teammates.
    Lightrays are so beautiful, I´m still testing some variables in the CvarGroup, very nice for tweakin ;)!

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

2 pages back i posted some screenthots of the Singularity tank weapon effect... jaw-dropping material CG HQ like effect period. :cool2:

3. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

Played through the demo and everything was great except for a bug dealing with environment shadows.

During the first part of the demo, it seemed like they did some kind of shadowing to the sides of models that faced away from the moon to make them appear a little darker, but that resulting shadow mask got stuck and would appear on the screen as I moved the camera around, so that I could look down at the sand and see a grayed shadow image matching a skyline I had been looking at before. Kind of like a reverse flash blindness, where the shadows get burned into view instead of the light, and lightly shade anything in the same screen space for a while.

This is on an 8800 GTS with the latest drivers. *shrug*

4. xatnys

Regular

Woah. Framerate? I have a similar setup and honestly wasn't really expecting to play, but you've sparked my interest.

5. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I'll go home tonight and try it on my Core Duo 1.66ghz, 2Gb ram, 7300Gs 128mb Dell Laptop and report back... I don't expect a lot, but hopefully it'll be playable somehow at the native 1280x800 rez ;)

6. woundingchaney

Regular

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

There's the odd hiccup. I'll read up on how to watch framerate or benchmark.

Edit: My impression was that "low" was very smooth, but kind of ugly. So I turned things up to Medium and kept shadows at low. Seemed to be playable. Probably in the 20-30 range with the odd dip.

8. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I wouldn't touch them, I installed and them and it took away about half my resolution options (in windows and games). As a result (i'm assuming) I couldn't even start several games that I had set to the wrong res.

I reverted back to the last certified drivers.

9. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

Remember that hat i threw on a bed last night? (earlier post).
    it is STILL there (day later). they've done "stuff where you leave it". THAT is good design. these tractors have evolved again. they RULE! (in my book)...your book sucks.

10. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Tried it at home, exact same errors (naturally) but it worked flawlessley. I can only assume it's a driver bug on the other system, or perhaps the editor just hates x800's? Either way, had some fun with it.

#490 Sobek, Oct 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2007
  11. Brent

Regular

SLI is currently not supported in the demo, the full version game will support it with a patch.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

Ok, I'm definitely more in the 15-25 range, but I can play no problems and it doesn't feel bad. The game is not insanely fast paced and twitch like Quake or something. Later in the game, I'm assuming things will get crazier, and then maybe more settings would have to hit "low".

No way in hell I could play multiplayer with these settings.

13. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

the final release of a much expected game will not support SLI?

only with a patch?

I protest.

14. Brent

Regular

'tis what i was told, posted here under drivers and sli heading

15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I think Crysis is going to be patched up like crazy. It is obvious IMO that they are really scrambling to get it working well enough to get it out for xmas. At least the game does seem to be fairly stable and not horribly bug-ridden.

SLI must not have been a priority. It's very niche setup, after all. This is why I'm still not willing to believe in SLI/Crossfire (aside from the insanity of having 2x ultra-power-hog super$$$ vid cards heh)

16. dizietsma

Banned

I'd have thought with the [H]ard way it treats [H]ardware and the 5000 hours of nvidia engineers time SLi would have been in the game and not needing a patch. Rather puzzling it is not.

17. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Sure...but considering that this game has had a fairly draconic release schedule(no delays from initial estimations), and what they're trying to do(cram every possible technical bit into it), they probably relegated it to something that'll eventually be done.

It's possible that Crytek may have bitten technically more than they can properly digest-sure, having a very very cutting edge engine that'll still be cutting edge a year later is important, but its all over the place performance, unclear binds(is it CPU bound?GPU bound?Which GPU aspect?), and rather dodgy behaviour under scenarios that they touted as being supported and planned for(see the recent 32-bit vs 64-bit comparison, although that may not be hugely conclusive due to a couple of reasons) leads me to believe that they're not as ready for release as it has been thought, and that EA is tightening the screw on em'.

I may be horribly wrong OTOH.

18. max-pain

Regular

19. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Nice! If this holds up across other reviews and into the final game, especially if that bug is fixed for retail then it could be a huge boon to x64 uptake. The're some pretty major performance improvements, I kinda wish I had Vista 64 now! I wonder if UT3 will show any benefits?

20. SugarCoat

Veteran

You're not alone. Its either a drivers or settings bug, i didnt notice it doing this when everything was set to high for the benchmark run. GTX and latest drivers as well.