Crysis AA fix for ATI CrossFire users

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by almighty, Jan 30, 2011.

1. almighty

Banned

Right one of things that lets Crysis down is it's image quality, There isn't any. You can turn on 32xMSAA and the game will still look pants because of one pure and simple reason, MSAA does not work on the alpha/transparent textures in the game.

And with a game that has so many transparent textured objects this can be quite an eye sore!

Now ATI offer what they all 'Adaptive Anti-Aliasing' that's supposed to apply anti-aliasing to transparent objects but if you've ever turn it on and tried it in game you'll of been disappointed!

One day while messing about in DX9 mode of the game I for some reason turned 4xMSAA on and much to my surprise 'Adaptive Anti-Aliasing' had kicked it and was 100% working on the transparent objects!!! There was one downside, It KILLED CrossFire scaling and halved the frame-rates and ever since I've been trying to find a way of getting Crossfire to work along side MSAA.

And today I have, The issue is with the 'Shader' config, The game has to be set to 'High' shaders for it to enable MSAA which of course kills Crossfire.

Now I was bored today and messing around with Warhead and for the fun of it I dropped Warheads 'Cvar' folder into Crysis's game folder and copied over Crysis's configs.

Then I booted up Crysis to see the results and low and be-hold, 4xMSAA with CrossFire still working fine!!!

So now I've got it to work but now I'm more confused as ever as to why it's working fine with Warheads Cvars but not the original Crysis ones :?:

No MSAA

[​IMG]

4xMSAA

[​IMG]

No MSAA

[​IMG]

4xMSAA

[​IMG]

The difference in image quality is amazing, If you turn on 4xMSAA+Edge Detect the game looks like bullshots!!

Obvs if you don't use CrossFire just turn Adaptive AA on + Run the game in DX9 mode and you're good to go :)

2. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Thanks for the thread. I was going to start working on configuring Crysis today or tomorrow with my xfire system. Have you compared 4xAMSAA+edge to SSAA? Also, from your screens it looks like you're running tri-xfire? Which GPUs?

3. almighty

Banned

I run DX9 mode with 4xMSAA+ Edge detect = 12xAA

Custom config file that brings the game SLIGHTLY above Very high with Rhygel texture pack and I get a min of 30fps with an average of 50fps.

Your 6900's should each this game...

I don't run Tri-fire :

GPU 1 = PowerCooler 5850
    GPU 2 = PowerCooler 5850
    GPU 3 = 9800GT for dedicated hardware PhysX

In terms of quality? I've NEVER been able to get SGAA to work with Crysis no matter how I try and force it. Edge detect looks AMAZING though :grin:

The below shots are DX9 with a custom config file and just plain regular 4xMSAA, these were taken before I got CrossFire working properly as you can see scaling is ~55% on each card as turning on MSAA without using Warheads Cvar's kills Crossfire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

( And reducing them to JPEGS's has killed the quality )

It's amazing just how different the game looks with properly applied anti-aliasing, Some in-game screen captures look so good that most people mistake then for e_screenshot=1 captures when they aren't.

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Nice though I had quite clean image IQ with DX10 and plain 4xMSAA but that is due to ATI GPU upscaling smoothing out visuals and thus reducing alpha aliasing (native monitor res 1680x1050, my playing res for Crysis 1440x900). Anyway in motion it looks great but in stills worse with only MSAA and with games own edge AA 2 it looks great in pics and less in motion (jaggies visible).

I made this sometime ago but it was for DX9 with TSAA/edge detect.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1270822&postcount=598

#4 Neb, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Davros

Legend

No AA
    [​IMG]

4xAA
    [​IMG]

No its not, unless your idea of amazing is 5% better ??????
    dont mean to argue but I cant see much of a difference

6. almighty

Banned

The I suggest you have a close look at the first 2 pictures again or better yet PLAY the game and see for yourself..

Also the 2 pics you pointed out for some reason got reduced by photobucket so some down sampling has occurred masking the difference, Crappy JPEG quality also doesn't do it any justice.

7. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Are you sure it's working?

8. Davros

Legend

its more noticeable in the first 2 pics
    but have to agree with mize are you sure its working in the second 2 pics although the gpu is doing something as youve gone from 71fps to 30fps
    ps: what about that mlaa

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

A lot of the most annoying aliasing doesn't show up in static pictures ("crawling ants"), so you can't conclusively say there's only 5% difference merely from looking at a screen cap. :)

10. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

MLAA won't help much for the foliage aliasing in Crysis.

11. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Frankly I can see a noticeable difference between in-game AA on and off (and it looks the same with either cvars to me), but it mucks up some textures here and there...like metal shelves in a trailer right after you see the frozen ship...pushing forced modes on the dx9 version doesn't seem to work...mlaa does but the hit is big and it doesn't look as good as in-game at 8x. imho of course.