Crysis 2 being re-designed for GTX580

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Ancient, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ancient

Newcomer

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...2-being-re-designed-for-gtx580-expect-delays/

Who said that tessellation isn't important :smile:

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

*sigh* Here we go again from Nvidia. The next Great Drama.

3. Svensk Viking

Regular

Can live with it as long as it won't become a Batman:AA scenario type...

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I guess NV figured out that their GPU is way better at tessellation and they aren't gonna just pretend that they don't have an opportunity with that.

Who said that DirectX limited competitive options... :D Although I'm betting on some proprietary extravagantly overrated Physx pointlessness as well.

Here's hoping that Radeon 6970 or whatever is completely amazing.

5. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

So are we looking at some kind of ultra mode sponsered by Nvidia because you can't have a new Crytek game without it being unplayable on its maximum setting?

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Lol guess I just saved $50 bucks. Good job crytek. I'll be playing tor hopefully then anyway.

7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

NVIDIA might be shooting itself in the foot, here. KitGuru says the game was supposed to be released in late March, but will now be seriously delayed. It seems to me that instead of having to face the HD 6970 in Crisis 2, the GTX 580 might now have to face the HD 7970 in 28nm… For the low, low price of $2 million from a company that's bleeding money.

8. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Oh, KitGuru. EOD.

9. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Isn't that Zardon from Driverheaven? Or is that another guy using the same nick?

10. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

It's the same guy.

11. Ancient

Newcomer

???

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The Way It's Paid To Be Played.

$2m to look good against the competition on a high end fermi in 1 game. Hope it's worth it Nvidia lol.

Crytek just entered the "I'll buy it when it's $5" bin.

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If they do use excessive Tesselation, that's not necessarily a bad thing if it really does boost IQ and isn't there purely for benchmarking numbers. As well it's definitely not a bad thing if there's an option in game for tesselation factor so that end users can adjust tesselation for best performance on their computer. However, if it's locked at some unreasonable number (Metro 2033 shadowmaps when Tesselation is enabled come to mind) then that's just more dirty practices.

If they do vendor ID locking of common features or excessive disconnect between GPU and software PhysX (Metro 2033 and Mafia shows you can gain the benefits of GPU accelerated physics without punishing those without a supported GPU card) then I'll certainly be disappointed.

High levels of Tesselation if it visibly boosts IQ however? I'm all for that as long as you can adjust the tesselation factor. Crytek has been good about giving users extensive video options though, so here's hope that Nvidia doesn't suddenly make Crytek hostile to their own fans.

And since Crytek is basically using this as an advertisement for selling their multiplatform engine, it would make a lot of sense to make sure the game has the ability to run well and look good on as many platforms as possible, even with the dollars invested by Nvidia. Especially if they are serious about wanting to become a competitor to Epic. In that light 2 million USD is a drop in the bucket compared to what they might potentially make if CryEngine is able to challenge UE3.

Regards,
    SB

14. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Do you have link handy for Metro and shadowmaps? That sounds interesting because I was under the impression shadow maps were textures, not geometry and I'd love to understand the relationship between the two in Metro.

15. smw

smw
    Newcomer

Haven't played Metro myself but I think that he talks about how you can't just enable/disable tessellation but only in a bundle with other features among which the shadowmaps (or maybe just these two - I'm not sure).

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Basically what SMW said. The only way to enable Tesselation is to enable the highest graphics option. That option also forces the use of a very large shadow map. That basically gave the GTX 480 with 1.5 GB of memory an advantage when benchmarking versus a 5870 with only 1 GB of memory.

There's no way to enable Tesselation without also enabling the huge shadowmap.

Regards,
    SB

17. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Ah, ok. That explanation makes sense (and yet, it doesn't). Thanks!

18. Davros

Legend

could you replace the shadowmap ?

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

What does Metro 2033 do in DX10 Very High compared to DX11 Very High? Other than tessellation.

I've been playing it on High and Very High on my retro 8800GTX on my 1360x768 TV. I actually have a hard time noticing what's different about Very High besides the rather large performance hit. DX10 High runs very smooth almost all the time. I only notice significant slow down in some parts where the complexity of the scene seems to skyrocket far beyond what is typical. Most of the time the scene complexity allows Very High to be completely playable for me but in those extra complex instances it turns into a slideshow.

#19 swaaye, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  20. Sxotty

Veteran

Who cares if it is delayed? Then computers might actually be able to play it when it is released :twisted:

Since crysis scaled for crap though I doubt that will be the case.