CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Fiji might go down from DAG 170 onward, Polaris from 140. R9 390X will stay strong.
Any word on how the older 4GB Hawaii cards are doing? I have two of those in my system and my house is on a dual-schedule power plan (very cheap energy between 9pm and 9am).
I thought about running them at night, but my house already runs really hot at night... maybe if/when the heat goes down a bit.

Any word on how the older 4GB Hawaii cards are doing? I have two of those in my system and my house is on a dual-schedule power plan (very cheap energy between 9pm and 9am).
I thought about running them at night, but my house already runs really hot at night... maybe if/when the heat goes down a bit.
Sorry, did not have time to try this yet but FWIW, Fiji only takes a mild hit until ~DAG180, so maybe they're still fine and while they were still able to run the miner until the maximum DAG supported (199) with 4 GiB, Nvidia cards with 4 GiB threw a CUDA error on the largest DAG - maybe all of this can be fixed in a new miner/driver.

You can try this yourself easily: just add -bench 150 (or another DAG-number of choice, max. is 199, no matter if you type 200 and up) to the link or config.txt file in the claymore miner.

My 290X does 30MHs at 1075 core 1150 mem
My 290 does 27MHs at the same clocks as above.
Both cards 4GB Hynix GDDR5.

BTW does Zcash mining use as much vram than ETH mining ?

Not on the Ti, ETH is about 2400-2800, Zcash is around 1000.

As for Nicehash, I've added the Ryzen 1700 and it's doing great for a CPU, 3.5GHz at 1.075 vcore it consumes around 50 watts and produces 0.5-0.6 mBTC a day (1.2-1.5 euros a day, 550 H/s on monero). Together with the 1080 Ti that's around 3.5-4.0 mBTC a day, or around 8-10 euros. Overall power consumption is under 300 watts (w/ both CPU/GPU undervolted).

Tried both actually. Until a few days ago, my main rig was equipped with a RX 480 (which I sold on ebay, could not resist the insane prices there), now I'm on a borrowed 1050 Ti, which is ok for the titles I am currently playing. It mines less than half as fast though (ofc) at ~13,1 MH/s with a little extra love. Fun fact, the last six jobs on this rig, where I am encoding a video in the background were 13,222 - 13,093 - 13,195 - 13,243 - 13,195 - 13,193 MH/s in "real" mining mode.
But anyway, maybe it is some factor not apparently visible or it may depend on the OS (I'm on Win 8.1 still... *doh*). But a rounded MH/s value should be possible, even if you have to manually do this.
Can you try the new genoil miner optimised for Nvidia? Pretty big pump for 3GB 1060 (10%+) https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/pull/228

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, I can find a little time in the next few days!

I just bought Nier Automata from the Steam sale with Bitcoin (got around 0.023 BTC in a week). Transaction took a little over 4 hours to be verified (with 165 satoshi/byte fee). It won't replace fiat currency for me any time soon, but it's a nice alternative and something that you can invest into (theoretically Bitcoin should only rise in price for the next few years/decade).

Last edited:
My bold.

Yes, this all seems a bit culty.

Woops, I meant to write theoretically, was writing on the phone and it auto corrected theoretically to theologically.

My bad, didn't double check. I just got into mining but I'm not that far in yet :LOL:

Same for me. But I clicked on your yt link and figured that any content producer worth whatching has some links in the video's description ;). So I found the article

Can you try the new genoil miner optimised for Nvidia? Pretty big pump for 3GB 1060 (10%+) https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/pull/228
With a 3-GB-1060 and 4,6 GT/s memory speed (which is 600 GT/s OCed!), I'm getting 22,9 MH/s. I can even go down to 58% power target without loosing any hashrate. HWInfo64 tells me, with those setting the card alone consumes just shy of 70 watts.

But seemingly, it's not only the 3-GB 1060 that got this bump, but all low-SM Geforces like the 1050 Ti as well. I would not recommend getting 3-GB cards for mining anymore. I am not sure if the mining applications can work around that DAG size in the future (DAG generation from 178 onward). Current versions seemingly don't do that.

I remember seeing somewhere a very recent youtube video where people working at GPU IHVs were commenting about cryptocurrency.. but I can't find it anywhere.
I think the video is less than 24 hours old, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about?

EDIT: Here it is, from Gamers Nexus:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cause why link the article with nice graphs when there's a vid for it? :p https://www.techspot.com/article/1438-ethereum-mining-gpu-benchmark/
the NVidia benchmarks improved a lot...odd, while AMD cards allegedly went the other way around. Even so, judging from the youtube comments -written from the video's author-

The reduction in performance for the AMD RX GPUs seen as the DAG file size increases is ‘said’ to be an issue with the Claymore miner software used for testing. Apparently an updated version will solve this issue.

Not into mining and not a mining expert, but a comment from another person kinda clarifies why the RX cards are so popular among miners.

rx470\570\480\580 with modded vram timings achieve 28-30Mh/s and with proper undervolting consume a touch less than 100 watts. that is almost triple the perfomance especially if you were lucky enough to get one of these for around 200$

the NVidia benchmarks improved a lot...odd, while AMD cards allegedly went the other way around. Even so, judging from the youtube comments -written from the video's author-

The reduction in performance for the AMD RX GPUs seen as the DAG file size increases is ‘said’ to be an issue with the Claymore miner software used for testing. Apparently an updated version will solve this issue.
I did try this DAG progression as well. What struck me though, was that neither Nvidia cards seemed to suffer (only 3GB models stopped fitting the DAG buffer from DAG generation 178 altogether) nor the R9 390X i tried. And Fiji (R9 Nano) did suffer only very mildly. Seems like a strange bug only affecting Polaris, which has plenty of memory to boot, compared to Fiji.

Not into mining and not a mining expert, but a comment from another person kinda clarifies why the RX cards are so popular among miners.

rx470\570\480\580 with modded vram timings achieve 28-30Mh/s and with proper undervolting consume a touch less than 100 watts. that is almost triple the perfomance especially if you were lucky enough to get one of these for around 200$
Mining is all about ROI and back when RX 470 was to be had to sub-200 US$, there was nothing that could touch it in mining. I've had my RX 480 undervolted and mem-OCed (no special BIOS though) mining at 26-27 MH at ~75 watts (via GPUz, so GPU-only consumption), but since the prices went crazy, I sold it on ebay for 40% more than I paid for it a year ago. All about ROI...

Back