Crunch Time

Deano Calver

Newcomer
Haven't written much due to being in crunch mode.

Deep in the collision system, that has to be working for code complete (don't ask when that was (notice the past tense of was) :oops: ).

A diet of Pizza and Dr Pepper keeps me alive to find yet one more bug.

Can I just say "Well Done" to those who kept the 20 page thread on which is better OGL or D3D. I didn't have the stamina to argue beyond the 10th page, but a few were made of studier stuff. I wonder if you can keep it going and see what the arguments are like on page 1050 for OGL 5 and D3D 30.... I remember a similar argument on rec.games.programmer about 6 years ago (I remember argueing with Mark Kilgard over OGL 1.1 and D3D 5).

For anybody learning 3D, forget API wars use the one you like. You'll be able to swap over from one to the other in a day if you understand what the API is doing.

Congrats to the shader comp winners. Its was nice to see people choosing an effect and then torturing the hardware till it worked. When I'm in old git mode I find it truely amazing how far modern graphics hardware has come. I'm still amazed at the power of the Amiga's blitter, you know the blitter could move upto 4Mb per Second and combine it in 256 different way! :)

Back