Cross Network play from Xbox Live, PSN, PC is finally doable

Scott_Arm

Legend
https://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

I find the last sentence interesting "...This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks ... with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well." Could cross network play with PSN be coming for Rocket League? First of many? Would be great for gamers and game studios if they can keep everyone playing together, regardless of the platform they pick.

And here it is! Xbox and PC this spring with playstation coming later!

http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/03/xbox-one-cross-network-play/

Cross-network play has been the number-one most requested feature our community has asked for since Rocket League was first announced on Xbox One, and now that we are able to pursue complete online unity on all platforms, today’s announcement is a dream come true.

Expect to see Rocket League cross-network play working on Xbox One and PC later this spring, with information regarding other platforms coming soon.

It took them long enough. 10 years almost.

FF 11 is the only exception they made during their brief "lets court Japan" phase

There were few games that worked betwen Xbox console and PC, but FF11 could connect to gamers from all supported platforms [even PS console gamers].

Surprised by the muted reception to having Xbox Live and PSN users playing with/against each other.
I'm eagerly awaiting racial and sexual slurs being replaced with fanboy platform slurs. This will change everything!!! ;)

I am eagerly awaiting account privacy and security faux pas due to leaking PSN auth tokens to Live. Plus good 'ol "Embrace, Extend, Extuingish" and all that.

I personally think this is amazing news. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to be unhappy with this.

I think this can only be good news. If an Xbowner is up against a mouse and keyboard equipped PC Supremacist then PS4 is the least of their worries.

Plus, PS4 is storming ahead. By not allowing Xbone to join the PC and PS4 funtime parties it's only Xboxen that get hurt.

I can't remember how "game chat" works for most games. Party chat on Xbox Live is hosted by Live on Microsoft servers. Would "game chat" as well, or do the devs roll their own solution for voice chat in their games? Wondering if there's any way that at least game chat would work between platforms.

I can't remember how "game chat" works for most games. Party chat on Xbox Live is hosted by Live on Microsoft servers. Would "game chat" as well, or do the devs roll their own solution for voice chat in their games? Wondering if there's any way that at least game chat would work between platforms.

MS could consider offering a complete solution for developers from their suite of cloud based stuffs?

That's more like party chat. Just thinking of some games that are maybe more teamwork oriented where game chat would be nice. Even rocket league, could be like that, but most people don't talk to randoms.
Would love to hook up with friends on PS4 who run division and gasp maybe destiny. Lol.

Reactions: NRP
Back