Creative ZiiLABS ZMS-08

fehu

Veteran
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/ziilabs-zms-08-offers-cortex-a8-powered-full-hd-and-flash-accele/

nov09zii523tfvbq.jpg

nov09zii028gh2twgv.jpg

Finally something with 1080p h264 high profile 40mbps playback :D
Perfect base for advanced PMP/Tablet devices like archos 5IT.
Does anybody know the technological process? Will it be 65, 45 or maybe 40? Judging by the 1Ghz A8 CPU I would expect at least 45nm.

Can't wait to see what will be announced on MWC 2010. Tegra2, snapdragon3 wonder what else can we expect :D

EDIT: some more informations here
Unfortunately it is 65nm..

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally here they are!
The "old" DMS-02 / ZMS-05 choice to have a dual ARM9-200Mhz was so weird. Welcome to the new CortexA8.

To be honest, I'm very impressed: given where Zii is coming from, releasing such a nicer chip so quickly is both impressive and surprising. The clock speed is nice, the perf increase is nice, 1080p HP is nice, heck - even the 720p decode power number is certainly quite nice (especially for a programmable solution on 65nm)!

The one thing I'm genuinely worried about is pricing. The previous Ziis were big chips, and it seems to me this one has increased in performance faster than the process shrink... So even though a 1GHz A8 is very nice, if the price point means it's competing mostly versus 2x1GHz A9s on 40nm, it's slightly less impressive. Still, this promises them a spot in the high-end market, and indicates what nobody could have believed just one or two years ago: the application processor market is getting more competitive, not less. How many and which companies will begin to regret their decision to invest in this market remains to be seen.

Resurrecting the topic from death, Creative is to launch to tablets ZiiO 7" & 10" based on the ZMS-08.
They are using Androïd 2.1 as OS.

Those are pretty cheap (somewhere between 250€ and 320€ depending on screen size and storage 8GB/16GB). The only negative point is the resistive touch-screen.

I wonder how this device would do in a various benchmarks (especially 3d) but pretty neat devices for in house use :)

Back