Creative claims similar shadowing tech as id Software

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Reverend, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Veteran

Just my personal opinion.

A deal is a deal. Since the deal is made, so should stop all argument, else don't make the deal.

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

We made no deal.

3. Reverend

Banned

Marco... nice :)

I hope I get the go-ahead to post what an ATI DevRel guy had to say when I asked him what the various devs he deals with on a everyday basis has to say about sw patenting.

4. Reverend

Banned

Ah... how quick he replies :)

Can't post the what he had to say about what developers think of software patents in a "uniform" way.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

I mean JC.

6. Derek Smart [3000AD]

Regular

He's right rev. In fact, take a look at this latest report on Linux patent infringements. One of the leading firms that offers insurance againt patent infringement suits, estimates that it costs upwards of $1m to defend a copyright and around $3m to defend a patent suit.

7. MfA

MfA
    Legend

He isnt argueing.

8. Reverend

Banned

Marco, perhaps you should just tell him just wtf this thread is about.

9. Anonymous

Veteran

Got my copy of the game last night. There's no eax logo or any other besides iD and the esrb rating.
    Heheh no Activision logo either :p

10. Anonymous

Veteran

11. Anonymous

Veteran

patents are bad? Stale ideas= bad

Personally, I think Mr. Carmacks comments were probably made just to create plublicity about his already over-hyped game. What's wrong with patenting technology? Nvidia does it. Intel does it. Even ID does it. Also for you to make a comment about ID software doing anything soley because they care about the gaming industry and "gamers" is a total joke. ID makes games to feature their engines so that they can sell them to other companies for large amounts of $$$. If ID is so interested in the welfare of the average gamer, then why are they still making non innovative games that are basically the same as the games they released 10 years ago? You all act like companies like creative are some big giant super corperations that rape poor developers like ID...how many ferrari's does Carmack have again? I bet the truth is more along the lines that ID was too cheap to pay to license the technology. If I were you, I'd stop bitching about silly things and start complaining about bigger problems in gaming like the fact that most devlopers only contribute 5% of the budget to audio. Whats up with that?

12. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Creative was stupid enough to brag about it, otherwise noone would have known. John Carmack just answered Reverend's question.

Patent licenses grant complete monopolies, the patent owner can request anything they bloody well please. Creative got out of this exactly what they wanted (well apart from the bad publicity, but that was their own fault for gloating). They would never have settled for any reasonable fee.

If you dont think software patents are a big problem for games then you dont think. What patent(s) do id software have assigned to them anyway?

13. Anonymous

Veteran

No arguing, yeah.... then wtf about his comment then?

14. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Seeing as you didnt get it the first time

Creative bragged about their unholy IP, which we noticed and which caused Reverend to ask John Carmack about the situation. John Carmack stated the facts and his opinion on the situation.

It was an honest answer to a direct question, in no way does that constitute argueing ... he didnt even try to convince anyone of his viewpoint. Would have been wasted on reactionary apologists like yourself anyway.

15. MediaXS

Newcomer

Got the game too and let me tell you, the surround sound in this game is FAR better than any EAX supported crap I've ever heard.

The sound in this game is creepy, perfect, scares me, and just a plain great sound experience overall.

I doubt EAX in future D3 engined games is going to improve on this, no most likely the sound will be shittier in those games.

16. Anonymous

Veteran

As said, a deal is a deal. If he feel it sucks, why he accept and complain it later? He can just challenge Creative in court in that case. But since he accepted, he should not comment much about this deal. Be a professional!

17. MfA

MfA
    Legend

If a deal sucks then dont agree? That isnt professionalism ... if the deal is the best you are going to get then no matter how much it sucks you should take it. Fighting battle over this purely for ideological reasons would be the antithesis of professionalism, pyrrhic victories dont make for good bottom lines.

As for lieing and pretending reality doesnt exist afterwards, well we are getting beyond professional and well into stupid country there. He owes Creative no allegiance. For software developers as a whole and for id in particular it would be better if Creative would choose to reform its stance on software patents or loose market share.

Personally I think he should have made the deal public himself, for personal and professional reasons, but he seems to feel it would have been a waste of his time. Thankfully Creative stepped in to show us their true colors, even if John Carmack didnt come forward to point them out to us unsolicited.

18. Jerry Cornelius

Newcomer

Re: patents are bad? Stale ideas= bad

lol

If you don't think software patenting is a big issue then you haven't looked.

One reason audio doesn't get the attention it deserves is because Creative muscled Aureal out of the game a long time ago. They were working on spacial reflections, quake 3 actually had nominal support for a while. If the algorythms had made it to hardware it likely would have redefined audio realism. Nothing of any consequence has happenned in the audio world since AFAIK.

I haven't owned a creative soundcard since my awe 64. I'm an audio enthusiate so I've had various prosumer soundcards. Probably not the best choice for game, but I don't feel deprived. Creative are the crappy cards from my perspective. I think a lot of higher end sound cards have decent dx support these days. Don't know about EAX support, but's it's a poor second cousin to what Aureal was working on. Too bad.

19. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

Re: patents are bad? Stale ideas= bad

If that wasn't typed by some Creative employee then I'll eat my own dirty underwear.

20. Anonymous

Veteran