Couple of pics of Revolution development controller.

NANOTEC

Banned
n-query-20060418001641484-000.jpg

n-query-20060418001640718-000.jpg

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should be even smaller, if possible. The smaller the more precise.
I hope they keep the small plug for the analog attachment, the big brick on the E3 version was completely unnecessary.

Squeak said:
I hope they keep the small plug for the analog attachment, the big brick on the E3 version was completely unnecessary.

Well, the small plug is a ethernet-cable, same as all dev-kit controller units. I don't think it stays that way, though.

I so don't want to like the Rev... must... resist... temptation... Rev is shaping up nicely. If that software is anywhere near the hype Nintendo may convince me to buy my 5th generation Nintendo system.

Acert93 said:
I so don't want to like the Rev... must... resist... temptation... Rev is shaping up nicely. If that software is anywhere near the hype Nintendo may convince me to buy my 5th generation Nintendo system.
Why stop yourself? If the games do turn out to be great and the 3rd party support even more so, isn't that all that matters?

sfried said:
Why stop yourself? If the games do turn out to be great and the 3rd party support even more so, isn't that all that matters?

Developer support/longevity (will it have solid support 3-4 years from now? GCN didn't; N64 really died fast), variety of software, getting a wide array of multi-platform titles on time/in good condition, hi def next-gen graphics, etc... Nintendo has been slow on internal development for a long time and does not have the production power to keep me personally interestedif they don't get more variety and more high quality software. Software on the Nintendo side is TIGHT. The Xbox1, which has already been made relegated to past gen by the 360, had 3x as much software released in 2006 than the GCN. They both have similar install base sizes, and Nintendo should have an edge due to more internal studios, but MS has got more dev support.

I don't buy a lot of games, but Nintendo's not so friendly relations with developers can really wear thin after a while. I love my Mario Kart and Zelda games, and Pikmin is a treasure, but I think the grass is greener on the other side.

So unless Nintendo shows they have the support situation ironed out and has some solid hardware --and shows they are serious about

-graphics
-longer/more involved games
-intuitive/advanced/interactive and not dumbed down control

I will be suspecious. I have owned every Nintendo home console. I want Rev to NOT be a gimmick. I want Nintendo to have resolved many of their issues. But it seems, by their own mouth, they are going after a different market. I am the more traditional gamer, and as cool as the controller is (and a cheap sub-$150 price would be enticing!), I am gonna wait to see if they really back it up this time with a lot of quality software.

I understand your concerns, and they way this gen is shaping up I can't imagine not being a multi-console gamer. I'll be getting Rev and 360, best of both worlds imo.

I just wish they'd have throw a X1600XT in there. Just SOME nod to the techie in me.

I cant abide badly desinged hardware. It just bugs me.

nintenho said:
I think that they said the controller was 12 inches long. I wonder how much it weighs.

:LOL: Are you serious? Maybe that's the length of the cable? Anyway the production controller will have an extension block. There's no way they're going to use that flimsy RJ45 socket to attach the analog grip control.

NANOTEC said:
:LOL: Are you serious? Maybe that's the length of the cable? Anyway the production controller will have an extension block. There's no way they're going to use that flimsy RJ45 socket to attach the analog grip control.
Well, I could be completely wrong. I think EGM had a perforated cut-out in an issue right after E3 where it folded into the shape of a revolution controller with the right dimesions.

nintenho said:
I think that they said the controller was 12 inches long. I wonder how much it weighs.
Find a ruler, hold it in your hand, laugh at how ridiculous the idea of a 12 inch long controller is.

mattcoz said:
Find a ruler, hold it in your hand, laugh at how ridiculous the idea of a 12 inch long controller is.

It could double as a cosh if you ever needed to defend yourself against an intruder in your home...

mattcoz said:
It may not be as powerful as you would like, but you can hardly call it badly designed.

I think Gateway is going by the idea of Rev using 50% overclocked GC chips, which would be a very bad design for 2006. Though of course its an assumption that I certainly don't subscribe to.

Acert93 said:
The Xbox1, which has already been made relegated to past gen by the 360, had 3x as much software released in 2006 than the GCN. They both have similar install base sizes, and Nintendo should have an edge due to more internal studios, but MS has got more dev support.

There are lots of reasons for that, and almost none of them have anything to do with having bad relationships. Xbox owners tended to buy more 3rd-party games. Having gotten burned by quite a few crappy ports of PS2 and Dreamcast titles early on, Gamecube owners tended to be highly suspicious of any cross-platform titles. Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion did so many visual tricks that games like Spyhunter and Crazy Taxi looked like almost a generation behind in comparison. A few games, such as EA's Bond titles and Timesplitters, still did well. You also have some weird American prejudices. Since apparently bump-mapping is the only thing that matters when it comes to graphics, a cel-shaded game like Wind Waker gets stigmatized as having "worse than N64 graphics." And finally, a lot of Xbox's games came from former PC-only developers who only had an interest in Xbox b/c it was so PC-like. They couldn't have cared less about PS2 or Gamecube.

Then you had the debacle at E3 2003. Prior to 2003, 3rd party support was decent, and sales were fairly competitive with Xbox. When Nintendo made it clear that connectivity (aka needing $100 of extra hardware to get the most out of your game) was to be Cube's "big thing," studios started cancelling software left and right. It's all gone rapidly downhill since then.

This can all be prevented with Revolution. 3rd party relationships are actually quite good, but people don't make games if they can't sell them. As long as Nintendo consistently delivers innovations that customers actually want to buy, doesn't deny them things they really want (and having the most bump-maps only matters to a small subset of the gaming population, as PS2 sales this-gen have shown), and doesn't try to force them to pay out the nose to enjoy their games, they have a good shot at doing really, really well.

It really looks like it will have a good third party suport there is no worry by now

Teasy said:
I think Gateway is going by the idea of Rev using 50% overclocked GC chips, which would be a very bad design for 2006. Though of course its an assumption that I certainly don't subscribe to.

I think that one should not think much by now about the IGN, as those 50% more speed as said to give from 2-3x (from both IGN and http://www.gamesindustry.biz/), because it is just bad writing for eg

"The 'Hollywood' is a large-scale integrated chip that includes the GPU, DSP, I/O bridge and 3MBs of texture memory," a studio source told us.

It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU.

First it seems that it does have 3x the texture cache, then it looks it is the same 3Mgs from flipper (althought I do belive more in the dev quote), one can not really understand what this is so lets wait for E3 shots/movies.

Acert93 said:
I will be suspecious. I have owned every Nintendo home console. I want Rev to NOT be a gimmick. I want Nintendo to have resolved many of their issues. But it seems, by their own mouth, they are going after a different market. I am the more traditional gamer, and as cool as the controller is (and a cheap sub-$150 price would be enticing!), I am gonna wait to see if they really back it up this time with a lot of quality software.

It looks like you will not have any reason to worry still a "confirmation" is needed.

Anyway, to much OT, the controller looks good IMO.

Back