Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Great concept but let's hope that the 360 version doesn't get shafted like last time, Gabe always said how he loved the 360, but developing for 5+ years, they never made a 360 game with AA. First game they put out on the PS3, and they put in MLAA :( at least give the 360 some of that "free AA" instead of the blurry mess from before :(

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – Interview with Chet Faliszek
http://www.gaminglives.com/2011/10/13/counterstrike-global-offensive-interview-with-chet-faliszek/

Yes, this is Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the latest in the strategy-based FPS series by Valve. Announced earlier this year, the game was on display at the Eurogamer Expo, allowing everyone to get their hands on the classic demolition mode ahead of the game’s upcoming beta and eventual release next year. Chris and I were given the chance to interview Chet Faliszek, one of Valve’s lead writers and the man who personally wrote the story for Left 4 Dead and the co-op campaign for Portal 2, and we’d like to extend our thanks to both Valve and Chet for this amazing opportunity.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive loses cross-platform multiplayer
http://www.shacknews.com/article/72...al-offensive-loses-cross-platform-multiplayer

Unfortunately, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive won't continue Valve's cross-platform experiment. While PS3-PC-Mac cross-play was promised, the feature is now being removed from the game.

"The beta has proved we want to update not just the beta, but the game itself post-launch frequently on the PC," Valve's Chet Faliszek told Joystiq. "To do that we need to separate the platforms so one doesn't hamstring the other. So for that, we have removed the idea of cross-platform play -- essentially make all platforms stronger by not mixing them."

Interesting. So they ended up not being able to get Sony so far as to allow them to patch their own game outside of the Sony system, with Steam use instead. I guess that pretty much confirms that the Portal 2 experiment won't get much of a follow-up.

I hear that rolling out patches right now can cost up to $50.000 per patch depending on the platform. That's not really helpful for stuff like Valve is doing, and means they'll want to consolidate their patches.

Interesting. So they ended up not being able to get Sony so far as to allow them to patch their own game outside of the Sony system, with Steam use instead. I guess that pretty much confirms that the Portal 2 experiment won't get much of a follow-up.

Next up, DUST514 experiment.

They keep the console and PC players separate in 2 games, but the games' outcome influences each other, and they can coordinate their attack. ^_^

I wouldn't mind some PC, iOS, Android interoperability experiments with Vita too.

I hear that rolling out patches right now can cost up to $50.000 per patch depending on the platform. That's not really helpful for stuff like Valve is doing, and means they'll want to consolidate their patches.

For update ? The game has to be designed in certain ways. e.g., Unreal Tournament and LBP allows user mods without Sony's involvement.

Game balance may be more tricky. Unreal for PS3 didn't have cross play with PC too. Then again, we may be able to have custom roles for the weaker platform.

I completely forgot about this game. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not the community will stick around on the console versions.

For update ? The game has to be designed in certain ways. e.g., Unreal Tournament and LBP allows user mods without Sony's involvement.

Game balance may be more tricky. Unreal for PS3 didn't have cross play with PC too. Then again, we may be able to have custom roles for the weaker platform.

I think there's a difference between a game patch and modded content created by the players. Anything that requires certification can be pretty pricey it would seem.

I think there's a difference between a game patch and modded content created by the players. Anything that requires certification can be pretty pricey it would seem.

But of course... due to the manpower and time involved. A developer should be able to design a game that fit both needs. In Counter-Strike, the game was designed for a PC-centric world, that's why it will be harder to do cross-play and console + PC update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcs8W7vrXcs

Apparently the PS3 version has Move, Mouse and Keyboard and DualShock support, and each player has a separate ranking for each control method he or she uses, and match-making takes it into account. I thought that's pretty interesting.

Also, together with Dust 514 and the really early Unreal Tournament, this means there are now 3 FPSs supporting mouse and keyboard, and Dust 514 also supports all three like Counter-Strike.

Anyone getting this on the ps3? I am not convinced at all. Also, I heard the mods will be playable only on PC :( ! Wish they bring the mods to PS3 too, otherwise the base game is very old now !

Anyone getting this on the ps3? I am not convinced at all. Also, I heard the mods will be playable only on PC :( ! Wish they bring the mods to PS3 too, otherwise the base game is very old now !

If I hear the Move implementation is good, I might bite, also because I have a colleague who is a CS fan

A proper Counterstrike 2 is more overdue than Half-Life 3. Really have no interest in this game at all.

I agree but really, it's one of those games that is so refined that outside of graphics, where do you make improvements?

Stats? gameplay is pretty much perfected for the type of shooter it is and map balance is difficult due to the highly competitive nature of the game.

I agree but really, it's one of those games that is so refined that outside of graphics, where do you make improvements?

Stats? gameplay is pretty much perfected for the type of shooter it is and map balance is difficult due to the highly competitive nature of the game.

I guess it's refined, but it's also incredibly dated. As long as they have the modding tools, the community would build new maps that would become new standards.

I'd like to see destructible enviornments (doors, walls, furniture), rappelling ropes, door breaching, and environmental triggers (like cutting power to a building to shut off lights), bigger maps with more players etc etc

Will console gamers even care about this?

Not one iota.

Even then maybe only the PS3 players would give this a consideration if they have a similar SteamWorks Promotion to Portal2 where if you buy the PS3 CS:GO game you get the PC copy free.

Back