Could someone link me a list of Nvidia and ATI OEM contracts

Recall said:
Yeah I found them already, thanks anyway. If anyone is interested I can post them for you?
Nobody's stopping you. :) I'd be mildy curious to see a list, but I think I already know what it'd tell me.

pat777 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18029
LOL, that's the funniest article I've read today. :LOL:
ATI has won a ton of OEMs.

not to mention that ati aren't faster in quake3, they are faster in far cry, all dx9 ati cards suppor geometry instancing, and a ton of other things the "article" has completely backwards.

Bah Inquirer trying to start a flame to get more hits is always fun.
I hope that guy was using a nickname or he mays have hard time to talk in the next graphic card meeting without people laughing at him :)

pat777 said:
The Inq article said:
Why is this so worrisome? Well, for two reasons, licensing and the future. Licensing is the worst one, Doom3 is an absolutely spectacular engine, head and shoulders above anything else out there. It is scalable, beautiful, has a marquee name, and is saddled with amateurish gameplay. Three out of four ain't bad, and luckily for Nvidia, gameplay is not its problem. In fact, only the first three are relevant to video.

So, one marquee game versus another, it would appear to be a tie. The thing is that the Doom3 engine will be licensed by just about everyone under the sun. The HL2 engine may be, or may not be, but people won't be clamouring for a Newell engine as rabidly as a Carmack one. While the proverbial 'people' may be wrong, they are the ones spending the money.
Unfortunately if there IS shader replacement going on in D3 with nVidia's drivers than all the games based on the D3 engine will either need custom shaders or else won't perform as well.

I don't think D3 is a good indicator for how nVidia is going to run D3 based games, if that makes any sense.

The point is not consumers, but OEMs. They are more than smart enough to actually look at the capabilities before they buy the chips by the hundreds of thousands. Worse yet, many of them sell to Joe Six-Pack by means of spec sheets more than performance. Nvidia could hit those checkboxes with the last generation, but ATI still can't. The current generation gets worse, the high end can't offer the features at all, and the mid and low end get worse from there.

As the games start coming out that use PS3.0, and people start looking for those checkboxes, one company will be there. OEMs know this, and buy accordingly. That is where the money is, and it is where ATI isn't and won't be. The last time someone missed like this badly, it took Nvidia about 2 years to recover, and 3DFx never did. I'm not intoning anything here, simply stating it, just watch and see.
Has this guy looked at what cards the OEMs are actually buying?!?! :oops:

SLI alone will be enough to make Nvidia own every benchmark under the sun by simply abusive margins. The early benchmarks indicate that it really is everything Nvidia said it would be. ATI's response? Well, nothing at first, I think it realises that HL2 benchmarks won't cut it this time.

It gets worse though. There has been no response at all since tha SLI announcement, and this is a classic sign of one side getting caught with its pants down.
Sweet jeeze! I guess those dual card rigs from Alienware that were announced before SLI don't count? :rolleyes:

I can't believe that article, I just can't....WHY would someone write such BS?

digitalwanderer said:
I can't believe that article, I just can't....WHY would someone write such BS?
For comedy? Remember which site this is coming from. I just attacked their OEM part because that's what this topic is about. I think I driven this topic a little off-topic by posting that link. :(

PatrickL said:
Bah Inquirer trying to start a flame to get more hits is always fun.
I hope that guy was using a nickname or he mays have hard time to talk in the next graphic card meeting without people laughing at him :)

He's totally swallowed the Nvdia BS about SM3.0. So far we've seen ATI be faster in SM2.0 everywhere Nvidia is touting SM3.0. Even in instancing demos, ATI is faster.

Then there's the BS about SLI. Does he really thing that OEMs will be clamouring to supply SLI setups, or people will be lining up to buy them?

Does he really think that ATI is in trouble with the OEMs, even though ATI is selling cheaper, quieter, less power-hungry cards that generate less heat to far more OEMs than Nvidia has won with the NV40?

He talks about Nvidia winning the low end, at the same time as Nvidia are leaving wafers at TSMC because they can't sell them to OEMs. He talks about chipsets and low end graphics as being Nvidia's ace-in-the-hole, while saying how hard Nvidia's low end is being hit by Intel's intergrated chipset solutions.

He talks about ATI only having products at the high end, while Nvidia have no products anywhere.

This just reads like Nvidia PR FUD.

Must... stop... laughing... have... to... work... now...

<Insert sound of person falling off chair onto the floor and rolling around here>

pat777 said:

I've been asking myself for the last hour if that deserved a thread.

This leads us to the future. HL2, for all its gameplay is a last generation engine. It looks good, very good in fact, but it is a year old, and things like Far Cry and Doom have passed it by. This isn't a criticism, it is just time and evolution, I have been playing CounterStrike:Source for a few days now, and it is very very nice. Newer engines look nicer though.

In the older engines, HL2, Q3, and others, ATI has a slim advantage. On the newer ones, Nvidia rocks.

If you want real comedy, look at the requirements for Longhorn.

But it gets worse. ATI has no PS3.0 part, and never will.

so Doom3 is nextgen and HL2 is last gen

I'll go to sleep...

vb said:
pat777 said:

I've been asking myself for the last hour if that deserved a thread.

This leads us to the future. HL2, for all its gameplay is a last generation engine. It looks good, very good in fact, but it is a year old, and things like Far Cry and Doom have passed it by. This isn't a criticism, it is just time and evolution, I have been playing CounterStrike:Source for a few days now, and it is very very nice. Newer engines look nicer though.

In the older engines, HL2, Q3, and others, ATI has a slim advantage. On the newer ones, Nvidia rocks.

If you want real comedy, look at the requirements for Longhorn.

But it gets worse. ATI has no PS3.0 part, and never will.

so Doom3 is nextgen and HL2 is last gen

I'll go to sleep...
Is it possible for you to move part of this thread into Ruined's thread?

digitalwanderer said:
PatrickL said:
He had some ?
He gets some from me, he returned my e-mail quickly and politely. (I give points for curteousy, it counts with me.)
Fuad was courteous with me, too, but his being a decent person still doesn't mean he should be writing about 3D cards from a position of semi-credibility. :p If Charlie posts a rebuttal rant amending the many, many errors in this one, then he gets credit. Until then, he's just another guy posting with more passion than facts, except he's got a bigger website than most.

Where's Paul Dutton when you need him? :)

Back