Could Nintendo be planning an early launch for Wii?

cafevincent

Newcomer
Seems like more and more stores are ready to launch the Wii (I've been following the news photos at maxconsole) plus this story at maxconsole: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=10781 Could it be that Nintendo is the mastermind behind this and would actually launch 3 weeks ahead of schedule (at least in the US)? What I hear they have 2 million systems ready to go. That would be a good strategy against Sony.

A surprise launch didn't help the Saturn against the PlayStation. One of the reasons why few people bought the Saturn at launch is because they didn't even know it was coming. Sega did nothing to advertise the system, so only hardcore fans knew it was out, but even then, many just weren't prepared to spend the money. A lot of people that have pre-ordered the Wii, only put down a percentage of the total cost (I only paid off my pre-order yesterday). Some people may not have money saved up this long before the official launch date.

There isn't any reason to launch early when it's this close to their planned launch date. It's not going to make any difference if they launch a week or two before planned, other than perhaps mess up their marketing.

Back