Cost to develop a new game franchise?

jpr27

Regular
I just wanted to know if anyone had a link to a breakdown on what costs are envolved with creating a console or PC game. Im looking for complete numbers breakdown on a project not the process to get a game in production.

In terms of cost for an rendering engine I would like pricing or estimates on liscensing to say mid lvl to high end engines. (Maybe Renderware up to say Ureal engine 2.5 or maybe 3 but (Im sure the latter is off the charts for liscensing costs).

Also about how much does a fps game about 15hrs of playtime cost in man power. Manpower consisting of around 25-45 people of necessary positions (coders, artists etc). About 2yrs of expected development time.

I know this is but a few items not including marketing etc. but rough estimates would appreciated. I have done searches and found some information but there is nothing associated with current to future costs of the next wave of gaming platforms.

Again if you know some numbers it would be great but links would be appreciated. Thanks all !

Also just to throw a number out there for a new franchise just starting would say 5-7 million dollars be in the ball park (dont laugh just a number Im throwing out there) :)

***There is no Luck...Only the Will and Desire to Succeed !!!***

People are by far the most expensive part of any project, take the 40 or so people your projecting, multiple by a fair salary plus a fair bit (for the overhead) and the time and you'll get in the ballpark.

To be honest it depends on small or large developer, self or externally funded, and a whole host of other variables.

picking numbers out of my ass, say 30 people for 2 years at 100K per head (whichh is probably conservative once you've factored in overhead and equipment) gives you about $6 Million.

If the project was at a major publisher and developed internally it would be MUCH more expensive, because overheads are higher, generally include marjeting budgets and teams tend to be larger.

If your just building a simple game in an established genre, with existing technology and you don't get too adventurous or sidetracked in technology you can do it a lot cheaper.

Back