Correct PowerVR MBX specs?

ram

Newcomer
Hi,

After studing the MBX feature list I've still some open points. Some ARM docs mention that "FSAA4Free" is only available on the MBX HR-S, but don't further specify if FSAA is available on the R-S / MBX-Lite at all. Does the MBX R-S offer FSAA? Any idea what overdraw number is used to calculate the fillrate specs? I guess it is 4, which means ~2 cycles/pixel for MBX Lite?

What's exactly the difference between the MBX and the MBX Pro? The T&L core?

There are also differences between the gate counts specified. One ARM white paper, the vertex shader core needs only 160K gates, while the ARM website states it is 210 K gates. So which one is correct?

Further, an MBX white paper states MBX HR-S requires 1.3 mW/clock, while R-S requires 0.5 mW/clock @ 0.13. On the website, they claim 1.0 mW respectivly 0.7mW at the same process. Which one is correct here?

Yes, FSAA for 4 is only on the higher models - whats more is its only free in one direction, not both. I've got a PowerVR interview coming up this week.

Its free in the X direction but not Y (or vise versa). AFAIK its to do with the tile sizes - this is probably one of the main reasons why there is a large difference in size between the lite and full versions (besides the Vertex Processor - which is a VS BTW, not T&L) as one has half the tile size of the other.

"I've got a PowerVR interview coming up this week."

Please ask them about the PowerVR Series5 for Desktop as well.

DaveBaumann said:
Its free in the X direction but not Y (or vise versa). AFAIK its to do with the tile sizes - this is probably one of the main reasons why there is a large difference in size between the lite and full versions (besides the Vertex Processor - which is a VS BTW, not T&L) as one has half the tile size of the other.

You mean 32*16 sized tiles, right?

I get confused myself all the time with x and y, so is 2x Horizontal or 2xVertical for free ?

I wonder if they´ve increased to let´s say 32*32 pixels in future products.

horvendile said:
parhelia said:
Please ask them about the PowerVR Series5 for Desktop as well.

I bet they'd tell us everything we wanted to know if we just came around to ask them! :D

Probably not, but you have to ask anyway. You know the way PR people are; they get their feelings hurt if you don't ask them questions they know the answer to but won't tell you. Then they go pouty-faced around the office, and worse, go tell senior management that they might as well cancel the project altogether because no one cares! A very strange job.

Back