Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

That doesn't mean a massive spread though. In the west, hygiene is very different. We'll have things like alcohol hand-rubs and disinfected surfaces. As long as Coronavirus isn't airborne, it can be far better controlled.

That doesn't mean a massive spread though. In the west, hygiene is very different. We'll have things like alcohol hand-rubs and disinfected surfaces. As long as Coronavirus isn't airborne, it can be far better controlled.
I don't know or think that is necessarily true. The precautions taken in China is for hygiene (they also all wear masks) as well as disinfecting surfaces. So I would disagree with that sentiment. And yes, COVID2019 is airborne, like SARS a N95 rated respirator is the minimal protection one can wear in room full of coughing patients, standard masks that do not seal to your face do not provide that level of protection required. Masks are very good at keeping your own fluids in.

So I respirators are protection for yourself. Masks are protection for everyone else.

How to totally screw up a Quarantine
Americans on coronavirus cruise ship barred from US after failed quarantine

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...e-ship-barred-from-us-after-failed-quarantine
The quarantine was intended to curb the spread of disease by keeping people aboard, isolated from each other and from the public on land. But as cases mounted over the two weeks, it became clear that the control efforts only enabled the new coronavirus to spread. In fact, the 621 cases include at least three Japanese health officials, who were there to support the quarantine efforts but ended up becoming infected themselves.

"The quarantine process failed," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said Monday. "I'd like to sugarcoat it and try to be diplomatic about it, but it failed. People were getting infected on that ship. Something went awry in the process of the quarantining on that ship. I don't know what it was, but a lot of people got infected on that ship."

Dr. Hopland described passengers drying their laundry on cabin balconies and leaning over to chat with neighbors while not wearing face masks.

Though passengers were largely confined to their cabins during the 14-day quarantine, they were allowed to take walks on the decks. They were instructed to wear face masks and keep their distance from other passengers during the strolls, but health experts are skeptical that everyone was compliant.

Additionally, Dr. Hopland counted having contact with crew members up to 10 times a day as they went door-to-door, hand-delivering food and supplies to guests.

As the Associated Press pointed out, crew members were not in isolation. They continued to share rooms, eat together in a mess hall, serve guests, and enter guest cabins for cleaning.

Just before Dr. Hopland and his wife planned to board an evacuation plane chartered by the US State Department on Sunday, test results came back indicating his wife had contracted the virus. She was moved to a local hospital, and Dr. Hopland remains on the ship in an extended quarantine.

World-affecting situation like these really need competent world-wide management. I doubt that'll happen until there's some disaster and the UN is given powers afterwards to take control irrespective of national identities and operate containment in a reliable, universally endorsed way.

That headline is pretty inaccurate. Also, the purpose of the quarantine was not to keep the passengers and crew from getting infected, it was to keep Japan from not getting infected.

some comments on ars also jokingly points out that probably there was a plan to infect all passenger ASAP, then 14 days quarantine. Hence the publicly announced "quarantine for 14 days, and keep resetting the 14 days counter every time new passenger diagnosed as infected".

btw what they do with the Japanese that in the end got infected from that ship?

World-affecting situation like these really need competent world-wide management. I doubt that'll happen until there's some disaster and the UN is given powers afterwards to take control irrespective of national identities and operate containment in a reliable, universally endorsed way.

With all respect, miss me with that world government stuff, friend. As long as there are assholes in the world, they are gonna seek positions of power. That's why I think individual institutions should hold less power, not more. I'd rather die of coronavirus as a free man, than be a new-world-order peasent and STILL die of some horible disease because the world government has no competition so after their position was well established they gave up on giving a shit.

I guess in some ways, with respect to this, MS decision to not have exclusives at launch year may actually turn out better for their software sales than if they had gone with the launch exclusives from day 0. much better especially if you're having issues getting the hardware out.

Last launch we had 1 million pre-orders IIRC. If they can't reach those numbers in terms of production, it's going to be a long brutal wait in year 1 for some folks.

I've read that in april the coronavirus will be already forgotten, well before the real mass production start.

I've read that in april the coronavirus will be already forgotten, well before the real mass production start.

But mass production will be delayed if the ordered components arrive later than expected.

That's assuming any of the base components are from China. Might be a small chance companies made other plans and stuck with them when the huge Trump Tarrifs were in play late last year.

It's quite surprising how much different stuff is out there to read. No-one knows what coronavirus will be like in a few months. It's the same sort of random speculation as us trying to predict what next-gen hardware specs will be!

That's assuming any of the base components are from China. Might be a small chance companies made other plans and stuck with them when the huge Trump Tarrifs were in play late last year.
Wonder if TSMC has an isolated underground town. ;)

Also, Rise of Drone Delivery. :runaway:

One with no cases reported where their fabs are located ? :eek:
Is there something you've heard? Otherwise Wuhan is a long ways away. Unless you are using SK Hynix as a supplier there isn't much to keep you from producing your core components right now. Fabrication is a bit different but don't really need that until June.

Back