Core i5 and Core i7 Socket LGA-1156 Lynnfield based processors now on sale

i7 860 is the full 4c/8t & has quite a bit higher clocks for not much premium over the i5/920.
870 & all the other i7s except the 920 are nearly twice the price.

Intel's prices are becoming reminiscent of the Pentium II and earlier times. Basically before there was any really credible competition.

Uh, look at the mobo prices :rolleyes:

In my part of the world (local $ not US$) cheapest i5 750 is $392.00
Cheapest LGA 1156 mobo is $209.51
Total: $601.51

Vs.

i7920: $480.38
LGA1366: $335.25
Total: $815.63

One of these combinations is 25% cheaper than the other.

The most expensive model of LGA1156 is available for $420.75 which still only gets a low end (7th cheapest out of 32 models) LGA1366. Most expensive LGA1366 is being advertised at $956.25!

Anyway I've decided that I need in this order:
New bed & several other bits of furniture
SSD
New PC

So its going to be a while before I get onto the new PC bit...

Last edited by a moderator:
In my view as a gamer with a q6600 the i series is a poor investment
I have a Q6600 too. Considering an overclock to 3.0 GHz isn't a big deal for them at all, yeah I'd say we need more GPU than CPU at this point, considering the options.

And considering the games coming up, or the lack of ones that push even today's cards... I don't think that there is a need for a gamer (who doesn't play FSX ;)) to upgrade atleast until Rage/Crysis 2 arrives. And even they won't be much CPU dependant, except if C2 is as much of DP-calls-heavy as the first one. :LOL: :rolleyes:

Mid-range Conroe at launch and mid-rage Kentsfield were the best-buys in the last couple of years.

Does fsx still run like crap, haven't looked at it since release ?

Yes. The DX10 code path added in SP2 does run a bit faster than DX9 (depending on the hardware configuration) but it's still a largely CPU-bound game, and almost entirely linear at that. They added some multi-threading capability with SP1 but the additional threads are worker threads which pre-cache scenery textures so no real FPS improvement is seen as a result of this.

Bottom line: there's not a PC in the world that can run FSX maxed-out with the popular 3rd party add-ons in a heavily-trafficked area. Can get decently close with a quad @ > 4GHz and some fast RAM but you'll still get FPS dips to well under 20.

Mid-range Conroe at launch and mid-rage Kentsfield were the best-buys in the last couple of years.
Well, thats the thing, I have one of the first shipment of e6600s that came to my country.
Its 3 years & 2 weeks old today! (just checked my email archive).

While its served me well & is not particularly showing signs of age, I think its well earned the right to a relatively mild retirement as my TV PC, plus I have legacy gaming ambitions for the current one.

He also said that he wasn't able to test the 860 but he expects that to be the Lynnfield sweet spot ;)

I think I'm in agreement at the moment as well. With the higher clock speed both in core and uncore, coupled with the implementation of hyperthreading, it should make for a chip thats a fair bit faster than a 920 but costs the same (not even accounting for the lower mobo cost).

In fact I think my future 920 powered system has just been modified to be an 860 powered system :D

Question is do I keep things modest and get 4GB of RAM or do I go crazy and stump up for 8GB.....

He also said that he wasn't able to test the 860 but he expects that to be the Lynnfield sweet spot ;)

I think I'm in agreement at the moment as well. With the higher clock speed both in core and uncore, coupled with the implementation of hyperthreading, it should make for a chip thats a fair bit faster than a 920 but costs the same (not even accounting for the lower mobo cost).

In fact I think my future 920 powered system has just been modified to be an 860 powered system :D

Question is do I keep things modest and get 4GB of RAM or do I go crazy and stump up for 8GB.....

Having been using them for a while I'd personally take the 750 still :)

There are some apps that hit the performance with hyper-threading enabled on the 860 and take it below the 750 - of course you can disable HT on the 860 if they are mostly what you use - when I said it I did think the price gap would be a little higher than it actually is however.

Having been using them for a while I'd personally take the 750 still :)

Really? At $100 more the 860 looks to be the one to get, with the faster uncore, moar MHz and Hyperthreading (if it ever becomes useful).

Thorburn, can you comment on the overclocking?

Back