Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Is it Gamer Choice

Some parts will feature an IMC, but I'd honestly be shocked to see Intel include an IMC on entry-level and mainstream parts.

Could you please guess or try to answer - what is so special about upcoming Socket B (Socket 1366) and why so many extra pins is needed compare to current Socket 775.
Even upcoming Intel Penryn will do just fine on socket 775 and no extra pins needed.

Lots of people want to say that companies change sockets so they can make more money. I don't really think that's as much the case, because it costs the company money to design and fabricate all this stuff and make it work -- and more pins = more parts = more materials = more cost.

Typically socket updates are done to facilitate upcoming features or to help signal quality. A whole lot of the pins in S478 and LGA775 are simple grounds -- you need a lot of common grounding and common power planes to make sure signal propogation works the way it should.

But of course, you can also use more pins to facilitate more cores, more / wider data transport interfaces, and other such items.

It's likely that the new socket design will carry Intel forward into Octal-core processors (or even further) and may also include individual data busses per-core. I'm 100% speculating right now, but it's a good place to start IMO.

Could you please guess or try to answer - what is so special about upcoming Socket B (Socket 1366) and why so many extra pins is needed compare to current Socket 775.
Even upcoming Intel Penryn will do just fine on socket 775 and no extra pins needed.

Certainly the obvious answer would be the inclusion of an IMC, but you have to keep in mind that Socket B is the solution for the multi-socket market (i.e. server/workstation) whereas Socket H is the replacement for the current Socket T and has *less* pins (715 vs. 775).
So, IMC = less pins? I doubt that very much.

Certainly the obvious answer would be the inclusion of an IMC, but you have to keep in mind that Socket B is the solution for the multi-socket market (i.e. server/workstation) whereas Socket H is the replacement for the current Socket T and has *less* pins (715 vs. 775).
So, IMC = less pins? I doubt that very much.

On some website The rumor quoted that desktop version will use same or could be similar desigh socket as for Intel-Nehalem server chip.

Socket B & Socket H - TechReport

Seems pretty clear-cut to me, but not straight from the horse's mouth so I won't bother arguing as though it's written in stone.

I believe you; but Intel Bloomfield CPU is going to be desktop version of Intel Nehalem CPU.

The next generation Intel processor based on the Nehalem architecture is clearly exciting as VR-Zone has learned. Successor to quad core Yorkfield which forms part of the 45nm Penryn architecture, Bloomfield will come along and sit right on top of the 45nm Nehalem desktop processors in mid 2008. Bloomfield will have 4 cores and is capable of 8 threads like the old Hyper-Threading technology but only more advanced. Bloomfield will contain an integrated memory controller that requires a new socket refresh called Socket B with 1366 contact pads.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4322

As far I could tell Socket B with 1366 pin will have IMC for servers and desktop as well.

I believe you; but Intel Bloomfield CPU is going to be desktop version of Intel Nehalem CPU.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4322

As far I could tell Socket B with 1366 pin will have IMC for servers and desktop as well.

Still doesn't make much sense to me to have such a high pin count for a mainstream part (especially when we know there is a new mainstream socket) but we'll see next year.

Still doesn't make much sense to me to have such a high pin count for a mainstream part (especially when we know there is a new mainstream socket) but we'll see next year.

If you consider based on the fact that their would be absolute no reason to have Socket H. 715 pin. If you have 45nm Penryn CPU running on socket 775 w/ decent Motherboard; their is no point to ditch your setup and move to Socket H. 715 pin. What's the point?

If you consider based on the fact that their would be absolute no reason to have Socket H. 715 pin. If you have 45nm Penryn CPU running on socket 775 w/ decent Motherboard; their is no point to ditch your setup and move to Socket H. 715 pin.

Intel doesn't do things for "absolutely no reason" ;)

Old thread I know - but on July 22nd Intel was supposed to drop prices on this chip.

Anyone find it odd that many of the online resources are now sellling the Q6600 for over 340 U.S. Dollars? Seems a lot of price gouging is going on all of a sudden.

Old thread I know - but on July 22nd Intel was supposed to drop prices on this chip.

Anyone find it odd that many of the online resources are now sellling the Q6600 for over 340 U.S. Dollars? Seems a lot of price gouging is going on all of a sudden.

The only place I see doing that much wallet raping is NewEgg. Other places offer it for $290 or under.

Back