Cooling efficiency of official console designs and validity of hacks/after market mods to improve them

Yeah, any place in a cabinet that would choke airflow to a XBS-X wouldn't even be able to fit a PS5 in the first place. The only situation where a PS5 would fit and an XBS-X wouldn't would be if the cabinet had really low shelves, but then they probably wouldn't be able to fit the majority of A/V receivers.

yep, basically PS5 (and PS4) design made it "fool proof". so as long as it fits, the airflow will be okay.

while with xbox series (and one) design, people can fit it into places where they didn't get enough airflow.

Yeah, any place in a cabinet that would choke airflow to a XBS-X wouldn't even be able to fit a PS5 in the first place. The only situation where a PS5 would fit and an XBS-X wouldn't would be if the cabinet had really low shelves, but then they probably wouldn't be able to fit the majority of A/V receivers.

This is what we found. It wasn't so much that the shelves are low but there is a hanging-lip. Below is the IKEA HENMES TV bench we have, the picture is of the unit in white but we have it in black - it's simply easier to see in white.
hemnes-tv-bench-white-stain-light-brown__0850139_pe671188_s5.jpg

Whilst the PS5 will easily slide into any of the three open shelves, the Series X will not because of the upper-hanging lip, both front and back.

But there is always a way because the shelves (on which devices sit, above the drawers) sit freely on several studs, so if you open a draw and remove the shelf, you can put the Series into the space that you cannot slide it, then insert the shelf under it, then close the drawer.

My PS5 sits to the right of my TV, the Series X in the middle shelf and other stuff sits on other shelves. The PS5 is pulling multiple duties, it's also the stand for headphones and the front USB-B A and USB-C ports means it's always charging something.

Not sure why anyone with an AV furniture that can't even fit AVRs should be complaining. If they can't fit a Series X then they can't even fit majority of AVRs. My Denon AVR is 6.57" tall, where as Series X is only 5.94 height x 11.85 width x 5.94 depth. The new X1700 AVR is 6 height x 17.1 width x 13.3 depth.

Also, the PS5 is 15.35 inches wide so a space that can fit a PS5 provides more than 3.5 inches of breathing room for a Series X on the sides.
So I checked where my mate had his PS5 last night on his rack. It was on the top shelf which was far narrower than the other shelves with the AVR. And there's your answer really - you might have a situation where the XBSX can't fit simple because that space is already occupied by the huge AVR (why are those things always so damned big?!).

It's worth noting that different cultures might have different sizes of furniture. European houses tend to be far smaller than US and Australian, say, and so furniture might be different. We can't assume our world experience is indicative of the averge. ;)

It's worth noting that different cultures might have different sizes of furniture. European houses tend to be far smaller than US and Australian, say, and so furniture might be different. We can't assume our world experience is indicative of the averge. ;)
Poor Japanese guys

yep, basically PS5 (and PS4) design made it "fool proof". so as long as it fits, the airflow will be okay.

while with xbox series (and one) design, people can fit it into places where they didn't get enough airflow.
PS4 required much more user maintenance that Xbox One did when it came to cooling. Also, PS4's have this issue where their HDMI ports fall off the board with much less abuse than Xbox, and I believe the airflow and power supply placement has a lot to do with this.

PS4 required much more user maintenance that Xbox One did when it came to cooling. Also, PS4's have this issue where their HDMI ports fall off the board with much less abuse than Xbox, and I believe the airflow and power supply placement has a lot to do with this.
I didn't have an Xbox One but both my PS4 and PS4 Pro excelled at collecting all of the dust in the room. I used to clean then about every 12 months, just like PS3. PS5 is much easier is keep clean, it's a two minute job - once you get over the hesitation of yanking the plates off! :yes:

i only meant in the placements. maintenance wise, PS4 have really bad accessibility to its heatsink. as for HDMI, yeah the exhaust basically automatically desolder them. its not just HDMI port but all ports on the back

Back