Cool demo

I tell you what these guys sure have vision. I love guys like this. 5 years from know we'll probably see something like this reach the market. I just can't seem to understand it totally.
________
Lincoln navicross

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Trek!

Check out 1:54... the screen turns on without the plastic fully on the device...

That is utterly... bizzare! o_O

Alstrong said:
Star Trek!

Check out 1:54... the screen turns on without the plastic fully on the device...
I assume it's actually taking its queues from a wireless transmitter in the solid/written-on part of the plastic square, activating its panel by proximity (and probably mixed with a bit of touch), rather than needing the square perfectly fit. Like how it pulls user info off their cell phone later on.
mistan said:
I refuse to believe that last one
Offhand, it seems like the last one would be fairly trivial to manage. The "Portal" square would have the network address of the projector pre-programmed into it, and all you're really doing with the drag motion would be saying "play this video on that network projector."

Yeah it's a pretty neat project, but everything you see there is possible with existing technology. It's the idea and the consolidation of different technologies that makes it interesting.

It's kinda funny that when I saw that demo, I figured it must be using something like RFID tags, then when I read the PDF, it confirmed it. :)

PC-Engine said:
Yeah it's a pretty neat project, but everything you see there is possible with existing technology. It's the idea and the consolidation of different technologies that makes it interesting.

It's kinda funny that when I saw that demo, I figured it must be using something like RFID tags, then when I read the PDF, it confirmed it. :)
Uh.. if it was demoed of course it is using exsisting tehchnology :?
OMG!! Teh SONY are using exxisting tehnology11!!!1!!! They are not even able to bring tech from teh FUTUR3!!"!"!"

I sort of fail to be able to imagine any practical uses for this tile based user interface thingy.
Why would I want to replace a monitor and a window based UI for some slabs of plastic that I would have to shuffle and try to find a correct one for a specific task.
Milsly interesting just in technology point of view, but for something that would be applied in real world devices.... :?

rabidrabbit said:
PC-Engine said:

OMG!! Teh SONY are using exxisting tehnology11!!!1!!! They are not even able to bring tech from teh FUTUR3!!"!"!"

Well when I say existing I'm talking about separate technlogies that have already been proven and manufactured vs laboratory technolgies that are only available in labs. ;)

rabidrabbit said:
Whoa... o_O Way to overreact there. MOST things aren't really using "new technology" in every way, but extensions of old tech or more new applications of existing tech to hopefully create new and value innovations that one can then profit off of. ;)

The concepts are neat, but the implementation is a bit wonky except in concept and "showing off" ways. I certainly don't see it having broad consumer impact, though offhand the abstraction concepts could be broached more easily through software implementaion (and maybe backed up with a simple USB peripheral or two) to a more easily usable and desired form. Certainly I could see it having more personal impact as a series of customizable mini-programs on your existing PC than something requireing an uber-expensive touch-screen and your carrying around a lot of plastic squares. ;)

Of course it'd probably have the "CEO playtoy" market sewn up tight! Hehe... (Other large public buildings could probably make use in funky ways too, though; airports, museums, office buildings and the like. It seems to be able to break down complex tasks into easily-digestable and intuitive chunks.

It's neat, but it doesn't seem very useful, especially with all the little plastic thingies. I doubt we'll see something like this in the market unless it is driven by some kind of demand, in which case, the ideas would roll around anyway.

Back