Contemplating a processor upgrade. Questioning compatibility

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
A few months back I built a new computer. I was under the impression I had purchased a 64 bit intel processor, but apparently it wasn't, although I had read it was which prompted my buying it. Regardless, now with the addition of the core 2 processors, I'm contemplating buying one. I have a few questions about them though. First of all my mobo is as follows:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Abit/AA8XE/

It states it's designated for the LGA 775 sockets. From the looks of it, all the new core 2's are LGA 775, and my main question is are they compatible with my motherboard, FSB's aside I know my mobo only supports a maximum of 1066. Also, I'm not very familiar with the core 2 processors, but they look like they've taken a turn for the AMD, in terms of sacrificing clock speed and replacing them with more reliable architecture like AMD's. Can someone, in layman's terms, express to my why I should contemplate this upgrade? In other words, what's the big deal with the core 2's?

Thanks a bundle-

Ink

What processor did you buy? I presume it was a Pentium 4 of some description but what model number?

As for the motherboard, unfortunately the 925XE chipset only supports single core processors so without upgrading that you are stuck with Celeron's and Pentium 4's only.

If you are still interested in upgrading to Core 2 Duo then I can give some advice on good boards depending on your price range and requirements though :)

At this point some kind of idea on how much you are wanting to spend and if you're hoping to use SLI/Crossfire would be handy :)

At this point some kind of idea on how much you are wanting to spend and if you're hoping to use SLI/Crossfire would be handy :)

Price isn't really an issue. And no, I won't be using Crossfire. What's the advantage of a core 2 processor?

What's the advantage of a core 2 processor?

It is the fastest processor available? They all tend to overclock very well. They run very cool and low voltages. You'll most likely have an easy upgrade to quad core (that's if you do not buy a quad core right away) in the future if you wish. The chipsets out are very solid and have all the features you'd need. Just some of the reasons.

Price isn't really an issue. And no, I won't be using Crossfire.

In that case personally I'd go for the Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard. Very good solid board, capable of high FSB speeds for overclocking and if you do decide to go the Crossfire route at a later date that is supported too (although the electrical 16x + 4x PEG slot configuration isn't ideal). SLI however is not.

Alternatively the NVIDIA nForce 680i based motherboards are strong performers, and are the only boards currently available with OFFICIAL 1333FSB support (P965 boards should do it no problem but its still running out of spec), which means they should take the Conroe refresh no problem. I feel they are a little over-priced however.

What's the advantage of a core 2 processor?

Big performance improvements compared to the Pentium D range of processors and, quicker in the majority of applications clock for clock than the Athlon 64 X2. Also competitive performance/$ with the Athlon 64 X2 range, generally you'll spend a bit more for the Core 2 but get better performance.
Also the the higher end models consume less power than there AMD equvilants (Energy Efficient models withstanding)

Pick of the bunch is probably the E6600, good performance even at stock and the cheapest of the 4MB L2 cache chips. Stick the FSB up to 333MHz and it should give you 3GHz no problem at all and performance above that of the $999 Core 2 Extreme X6800.
If you're feeling really flush then theres the option of quad-core with the Q6600 and QX6700 too but at $850 and $999 respectively they aren't cheap.

Back