Consoles Made of Sterner Stuff

The Xbox One Is Basically Indestructible
It didn't say how long the Xbox One worked for. Drops can cause fractures in the board which take a while (some heat/cooling cycles) to result in a failure state. If they want to test them properly they want to strap them onto a vibration test system (like an LDS v8 or v9 series table) capable of exerting a good 40kN of force. It's how we used to test electronics would be capable of sustaining the vibration caused by missile launches, flight and impacts in platforms hit by assault.

Does this count as technical hardware? impressive actually I really didn't think it would survive that final test.
The Xbox One Is Basically Indestructible

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-is-basically-indestructible-1663924162

the PS4 hit the ground perpendicular, the xbone not. The first could not dissipate the impulse, the second distributed it over higher time, absorbing it.
It is just like doing a car crash frontally or on a front side and then spinning and hitting elsewhere- where do you think you'd survive?

the PS4 hit the ground perpendicular, the xbone not. The first could not dissipate the impulse, the second distributed it over higher time, absorbing it.
It is just like doing a car crash frontally or on a front side and then spinning and hitting elsewhere- where do you think you'd survive?

It doesn't work like that. Hitting on a flat surface will spread out the force of impact more. The smaller the contact patch the greater the amount of force exerted on that point which should increase the likelihood of damage. The point of impact for the XBO suffered the same amount of force in a smaller area than the flat end of the PS4. That there was no significant damage there is notable. And that's where the design of the design of the shell and how the components are put together as well as how many components there are. The more components you have the more points of failure you have.

The XBO survived better just due to its conservative design. The large case itself served to isolate the more delicate inner parts from the impact in a similar way to packing stuff in a box with some extra padding before shipping.

That the PS4 has a user upgradable HDD is convenient but the implementation meant it was an obvious point of weakness. And as such no surprise that it basically popped off when dropped from a higher height. Other panels also popped off as well but the HDD was a bad one to have happen.

The XBO by contrast maintained more structural integrity because the majority of the outer case is just one piece.

What does this mean for the majority of people? Nothing. How often is someone's console going to be at risk of being dropped from greater than 2-3 feet?

Regards,
SB

It doesn't work like that. Hitting on a flat surface will spread out the force of impact more. The smaller the contact patch the greater the amount of force exerted on that point which should increase the likelihood of damage.
...Maybe you should check the fall from 15ft, in the video: the xb1 impacts laterally and then rotates.

I apologize for derailing the thread lol. I just figured I'd add that from a design perspective (when everyone talks about the big box) there are some added benefits. As for impact rotational or perpendicular, I agree. However Xbox weighs approximately 9+lbs while the PS4 weighs around 6lbs. While the force is distributed in this scenario is likely better for Xbox One, the Xbox one should have 33% more Newtons at impact. The video shows that the xbox bounces back as high as the PS4 (if not higher) on the third bounce indicating that the relative kinetic energy is near equal; the relative energy absorbed by the consoles' structure should also be near equal.

It doesn't work like that. Hitting on a flat surface will spread out the force of impact more.
That's the force applied to the plastic. In terms of the internals that don't strike the ground, it's the deceleration force that breaks things. Landing on a corner and that corner crumpling would be better for the internal health of a console than landing on a flat side. If the corner didn't break but the plastic deforms (even with spring back), it'd result in far lower internal Gs to the X1 than the PS4 landing flat on its side.

Rule number one for scientific tests - ONE variable! Testing methods has to be consistent for results to be comparable.

Which of course is redundant, as the only issue that matters is if the consoles can survive a table-top drop onto a hardwood floor as a worst-case real-world scenario. Surviving a drop onto concrete/tarmac in the case of moving it outside, let's say you're moving house, would be a worst case real world scenario. Seems both are suitably well constructed.

Still, who can turn their nose up at a good argument?! :D

I once dropped one of my Saturns out of the second story of my house on total accident when moving the entertainment stand around. I forgot I left the window open and when just seeing if I could move the entertainment stand with everything on it I pushed a little and the Saturn slipped right off the top and into the ground below. That ground happened to be grass so the impact is much less than a hard surface. I was so pissed at myself and really getting panicky that I broke it. I rushed outside to get it and it appeared fine on the outside. Brought it in and hooked it up and the only thing that had stopped working was the sound. Video worked, the controllers worked, but no sound. I tapped a couple times on a certain, specific spot on the top of the Saturn itself and bam the sound worked again. Such a resilient beast that machine, what with all the chips it had in it. SEGA's build quality was excellent back then. I've dropped the same Saturn on my hardwood floor a couple times and it still keeps working.

I did once drop my Atari 2600 out of a window on the second floor.
edit : My mistake it was the third floor, but that's another story......

It didn't say how long the Xbox One worked for. Drops can cause fractures in the board which take a while (some heat/cooling cycles) to result in a failure state. If they want to test them properly they want to strap them onto a vibration test system (like an LDS v8 or v9 series table) capable of exerting a good 40kN of force. It's how we used to test electronics would be capable of sustaining the vibration caused by missile launches, flight and impacts in platforms hit by assault.

Naturally...

I regularly strap my consoles to missiles and play them on platforms regularly hit by heavy mortar fire ;-)... lol

I must admit, I'd love to see this.

Naturally...

I regularly strap my consoles to missiles and play them on platforms regularly hit by heavy mortar fire ;-)... lol

Haha! Just to be clear, I mean electronics in platforms (vehicles, aircraft) that must work following direct impact. Most testing was done in the lab but at some point you just have to do the practical and try and blow something up.

Very popular testing days, those ;). The sense of elation as your targeting system continues to operate flawlessly after a massive strike was awesome. :)

Isn't the targeting system sort of redundant after its struck ?

It depends on the platform. Some are designed only to protect the lives inside, others are designed to continue fighting.

Back