Console Talk Forum

Hardknock

Veteran
There are far to many sub-forums under Console Talk IMO. I think it's best if there's just a Console Technology sub-forum, and leave the main console talk forum for games, PR statements, questions and everything else.

"Far too many"? You mean two is "far too many"? Well the old saying of "you can't please all people, all of the time" is never more true in this case...

Edit: It's no different to the PC technology sections really - you've got one, each, for:

3D Hardware and Technology
3D Coding
Graphics Cards
Companies
Software
Games

The reason for having the three sections in the Console board is to provide a section purely for discussing console technology in depth and have other sections for general talk about consoles.

Neeyik said:
"Far too many"? You mean two is "far too many"? Well the old saying of "you can't please all people, all of the time" is never more true in this case...

The reason for having the three sections in the Console board is to provide a section purely for discussing console technology in depth and have other sections for general talk about consoles.

Neeyik, the new subfora are really an enrichment. Hopefully, they'll reduce the noise ratio. Anyway, thumbs up and a big thank you!:D

Don't thank me, it was Dave's move to open it up a bit more. Vysez, Ingenu and the other moderators should be thanked to for (a) trying to sort out dozens of big threads per day and (b) raising the issue about having suitable threads in the appropriate forum in the first place!

Note the reorganisation of the forums is such that if you had the old forum Console Forum bookmarked you will go to the Console Technology forum.

Thanks Dave. I guess I can understand the noise ratio, but it was just easier to click on one link and see everything... just takes a little more work now, heh. ;)

I'm just a little worried about blurred lines between what goes in the main forum and the Console Technology forum. Maybe because things are early, and all threads aren't yet transferred over, but it seems like there are threads in the main forum that should be under Console Technology, still.

I'm also wondering what exactly goes in the main forum now! Just PR stuff, industry talk..?

Personally, i'm SO confused with the whole thing it's not even funny... I mean in the end it's 3 forums all with the same threads ("X360 vs PS3 vs Rev vs DS vs PSP vs Pizza" or "pre-rendered or realtime??" or "XXXXX company is teh doomed!!"). Literally every thread degenerates into one of those 3 types of thread. Very confusing.

Titanio said:
Maybe because things are early, and all threads aren't yet transferred over, but it seems like there are threads in the main forum that should be under Console Technology, still.
Still working on that but there will always be cases where the question of where a thread should be is undecided - for example, a thread might start off as being something general but end up working towards a tech discussion.

I'm also wondering what exactly goes in the main forum now! Just PR stuff, industry talk..?
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25962

london-boy said:
Personally, i'm SO confused with the whole thing it's not even funny... I mean in the end it's 3 forums all with the same threads ("X360 vs PS3 vs Rev vs DS vs PSP vs Pizza" or "pre-rendered or realtime??" or "XXXXX company is teh doomed!!"). Literally every thread degenerates into one of those 3 types of thread. Very confusing.
What precisely is so confusing about the Console sections? I would have thought it was all pretty clear - the way that the threads end up though is nothing to do with this.

typoEDR said:
I'd rather the main forum be technology-focused and have a seperate Games/inane babble subforum.
Noted but as I said at the beginning of this thread - you can't please all people, all of the time.

typoEDR said:
I'd rather the main forum be technology-focused and have a seperate Games/inane babble subforum.
I considered that first, but it doesn't make sense to structure it that way around - this is a more logical discussion (since discussion of "Console Technology" is a subset of console discussion in general).

london-boy said:
If that's the case, then maybe it's not so confusing after all (since you know what to expect anyway! :) ).

For the awful times that I visited that forum, my opinion about the hang-outs there would likely be disagreeable with John Reynolds.

The console forum never got off on the note, and focus, that this site (its staff and the regular visitors) intended (i.e., tech). Until, and unless, Dave gets really fed-up, we'll just have to live with this.

BTW, for (another) last time, please don't lump me in with thise other console machines. I have far more memory than the other consoles, for one.

typoEDR said:

I think an unforseen benefit of having the technology forum be a sumforum is that much of the noise will probably get posted in the main forum, and only people who clearly want to post technology related posts will bother going to post in the subforum.

That's my hope atleast. :D

Nite_Hawk

Reverend said:
For the awful times that I visited that forum, my opinion about the hang-outs there would likely be disagreeable with John Reynolds.

You know, it would be great if you could stop invoking me unnecessarily like this.

John Reynolds said:
You know, it would be great if you could stop invoking me unnecessarily like this.
Did you mean "provoke"? In any case, it was a joke, John.

And I already asked you to ignore my stupid posts, dammit!

Back