Console Maker's OS

Ms released some sort of update to visual studio you write your app and it runs on almost any system with a ms o/s even the xb1 so now you dont need to buy an expensive devkit and sign all kinds of nda's ect

You did not read my post: you always develop on YOUR machine. That's always the way you do it.
You need the devkit for testing&debugging.
On VS you can target ARM also - but can you DEBUG it in your intel's xeon machine?

Ms released some sort of update to visual studio you write your app and it runs on almost any system with a ms o/s even the xb1 so now you dont need to buy an expensive devkit and sign all kinds of nda's ect

I doubt that's true. If you're going to release on X1, you'll want to test it on the X1. They haven't converted retail units into dev kits yet. I'm not sure if that's still in the works. Haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Check out the apps that came out on the Xbox 360 Indie Games service(M2AF, Gamescore Tracker, Bible Navigator, Console Info, Plasma TV Breakin). They were somewhat limited due to no access to the Internet or Kinect, but there were a few that were interesting. Would have been a lot more useful on XB1 when snapped with a game or Live TV.

Tommy McClain

Can't. The cost of a wifi adaptor was off putting that I bought a work around called a PS3. LOL. I might invest in a new 360 because its cheap and I am a Gold member, now. If I do I will check them out.

I doubt that's true. If you're going to release on X1, you'll want to test it on the X1. They haven't converted retail units into dev kits yet. I'm not sure if that's still in the works. Haven't heard anything about it in a while.

He means the WinRT apps/games.

He means the WinRT apps/games.

Yah, but you're still going to want to test them on the Xbox One before you ship it there. You'll need to test the input device you're using, any Xbox One specific features and changes in layout to make it more suitable for television. It's kind of like shipping iOS apps. You can develop on your mac, and use a simulator to check a lot of code, but in the end you'll want to test it on the actual device before you ship. As far as I know there is still no way to test an app or game on a retail Xbox One.

If you are big pub or dev, cost of the dev kit is not a barrier. If you are on a small team you go through the ID@ program and get two free dev kits.

If you don't have access to dev kits then you just distribute on Windows until MS gets there act together with their "every retail can be dev kit" feature.

That might be the best route. Distribute on other Window products then apply through the ID@ program.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott_Arm View Post I doubt that's true. If you're going to release on X1, you'll want to test it on the X1. They haven't converted retail units into dev kits yet. I'm not sure if that's still in the works. Haven't heard anything about it in a while. He means the WinRT apps/games.

I didn't know that Windows RT has many games in its ecosystem. I know that it keeps growing (not significantly), but it's probably just a tiny app/game ecosystem.

Back