Console Gamers: Why Do We Hold So Much Importance In Being # 1?

Hardknock

Veteran
As long as you are happy with your console of choice and the games shouldn't that be all that matters? (my console has sold more than your console, so mine must be better!!!!1) It's almost as if we need sales to validate our purchase decisions. For example: Just the slightest mention from an analyst that Xbox 360 could be number 1 next-gen brings out a firestorm of protest. If 360 does wind up being number 1, is that going to make you love your PS3 or Revolution any less? And ditto for the Pro-MS people, if your console winds up in last place again does that effect your love for the 360? Why does it matter at all? I reckon that all 3 consoles will be relatively successful, so there's nothing to worry about. Who's number 1 is irrelevant.

That brings me to another point: We all have one thing in common, we're gamers. It's childish to not like someone because they prefer a different console from you. We should be more concerned the potential of next-gen games and the future of our industry as a whole, than arguing over meaningless things like marketshare. Sure it's fun to debate sometimes, but lets not take things so personally and seriously when we do(I'm guilty of this myself sometimes.) If someone criticizes your console of choice, take it in stride. Respect their opinion.

In closing I would just like to say Play games not consoles people.

/end rant

Would be nice to see people behaving like they preach.

Can't say i disagree with what you said, but i can't help but feel it's an attempt from you to show that you're somewhat "open minded", after tens of posts that would prove quite the opposite.

But hey i don't want to sound too cynical.

I never cared about sales figures. For me It's all about personal preference. I also don't like commercial pop music and prefer somewhat obscure movies.

london-boy said:

Can't say i disagree with what you said, but i can't help but feel it's an attempt from you to show that you're somewhat "open minded", after tens of posts that would prove quite the opposite.

You know what? you really don't know me at all. Thanks for ruining an otherwise good intentioned thread. On another note, your views of me are highly unfounded. I would like you to find any post of mine where I'm "closed minded".

Your console being no.1 is important, or at least your console being succesful enough is important.
Otherwise there's a danger of your preferred console lacking some of your favourite games.
Multiplatform publishers are more likely to bring more games to the console that's selling more, the more more it's selling, the bigger the gap between quantity of quality games for console no.1 and console no.2 is.
Unless you're a hardcore gamer and own all major platforms and are not willing to invest in yet another machine, the success of your chosen platform has a big impact on what you'll be able to play.
That's a fact, and this is another pointless thread by you, all imo ;)

Your console being no.1 is important, or at least your console being succesful enough is important.
Well I said in my original post that I feel all 3 will be relatively successful.

Unless you're a hardcore gamer and own all major platforms and are not willing to invest in yet another machine, the success of your chosen platform has a big impact on what you'll be able to play.

In my original post I stated "if you are happy with your system and the games" why does it matter?

That's a fact, and this is another pointless thread by you, all imo ;)

I'm sorry, we can't all compete with classic threads like this one from you: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20902

;)

If you're happy, you're happy. If you're sad you're sad,

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. (clap clap)

Of course it doesn't matter if it doesn't matter!!!!.... P O I N T L E S S

Really, your recent topics put my head in an endless loop.

Oh, and that "classic thread" of mine. I think it was actually quite a good attempt at setting up a kind of "chronicle" of who said what, for future references when people argue about who claimed what... like "xbox will do better graphics than Toy Story" etc.. pointless marketing speak (which no-o´ne shouldn't thake seriously in the fist place.)

it does matter if you are in the business and make money of it.

i'm not a gamer, i'm a maniac

anybody wants to buy some 2gbyte memorystick pro duo highspeeds or import ps3's? :p

london-boy said:

Was thinking the exact same thing myself.

Hmmm, I posted this thread so people could understand my views on things better. Oh well, lock this baby up if this is the kind of replies it's going to get.

Hardknock said:
Hmmm, I posted this thread so people could understand my views on things better. Oh well, lock this baby up if this is the kind of replies it's going to get.

And instead you get views from people about yourself.. I don't see the problem

3roxor said:
And instead you get views from people about yourself.. I don't see the problem

well nobody is truly addressing the topic.

I was kinda offering an olive branch with this thread(for those that think I've been too aggressive or irrational) and attempting to contribute something positive to the forum. But all I'm getting are smart ass comments. But hey can't say I didn't try.

My comment wasn't smart-ass.
Like you have opinions, other people have opinions.
I just said that my opinion was that this thread of yours was some kind of PR thread for yourself to try at get people off your back after the many times you've been reprimended for your posting behaviour.
The fact that you feel you need to "offer an olive branch" and "have a truce" really shows you believe in this fighting and bickering in the forum, which is what is bringing it down.

The best "olive branch" you could offer is a change to your aggressive posting attitude.

Again, this is just my opinion. Afterall, if you don't want people to express their opinions (much like you pride yourself of doing all the time), then you shouldn't open threads.

I totally agree that it just doesn't matter and it's just fanboi silliness!

That being said, Gamecube of course dominates over all others... ;)

My comment wasn't smart-ass.
Like you have opinions, other people have opinions.

Wow, and how long have I been saying this? ;)
I just said that my opinion was that this thread of yours was some kind of PR thread for yourself to try at get people off your back after the many times you've been reprimended for your posting behaviour.

London what are you talking about? Many times I've been reprimended? Could you please point some out without making baseless claims? The only reason I have a red reputation is because of you from that other thread. And not only that you even stated in the thread you didn't like me from the beginning.

The fact that you feel you need to "offer an olive branch" and "have a truce" really shows you believe in this fighting and bickering in the forum, which is what is bringing it down.

Me offering an olive branch was so i wouldn't have to keep arguing with you like this all the time. But hell you ruined that with your first post!

The best "olive branch" you could offer is a change to your aggressive posting attitude.

Again don't tell me how to post, you are far from perfect yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's your favorite console then it's already number one in your book. "Technically" some other console may be, but to you it doesn't deserve it. Why? 'Cause you perfer console ABC. That's how it works.

Now, while I agree, try your best to take things in stride, the reason people act up is when they feel their console is being criticized unjustly. For instance "Xbox has no Japanese games!!", instantly a fan of the console would go "OOOOH, so I guess Itagaki must be some fat German guy, right!?! LOL .rolleyes.". Now, while that's a rather extreme example there are much more detailed minitua that can spark heated debates. For instance, "Xbox may not have as many games as the PS2, but it has more good games (I think that works)". This subsequentlly sparks off a debate about ratings, what's considered good, yada yada... there's no real definate way to measure the accuracy of that kind of comment, because it's so subjective. But, you end up with a fight because one person will come along who will feel that's an unjust statement (they think there are hundreds of AAA games on PS2 but only a few on XBox) and calls shennanigans, then some other guys (who thinks there are tons of AAA xbox games but few PS2) calls shenanigans on the shenanigans, then it's a personal afront, then it's chaos, then rollyeyes EVERYWHERE!!! AaaaaH, the HORROR the HORROR!! END IT NOOOOOOOW!!! ... .... or something like that.

Though I appreciate Hardknock's sentiment's this thread serves no purpose. We had another like this a while back telling everyone to 'chill' and not be six-stars, but all that is covered in the FAQ nicely. People are free to favour a console and hate the opposition, just as long as they don't show it here!

Mefisutoferesu said:
If it's your favorite console then it's already number one in your book. "Technically" some other console may be, but to you it doesn't deserve it. Why? 'Cause you perfer console ABC. That's how it works.

Now, while I agree, try your best to take things in stride, the reason people act up is when they feel their console is being criticized unjustly. For instance "Xbox has no Japanese games!!", instantly a fan of the console would go "OOOOH, so I guess Itagaki must be some fat German guy, right!?! LOL .rolleyes.". Now, while that's a rather extreme example there are much more detailed minitua that can spark heated debates. For instance, "Xbox may not have as many games as the PS2, but it has more good games (I think that works)". This subsequentlly sparks off a debate about ratings, what's considered good, yada yada... there's no real definate way to measure the accuracy of that kind of comment, because it's so subjective. But, you end up with a fight because one person will come along who will feel that's an unjust statement (they think there are hundreds of AAA games on PS2 but only a few on XBox) and calls shennanigans, then some other guys (who thinks there are tons of AAA xbox games but few PS2) calls shenanigans on the shenanigans, then it's a personal afront, then it's chaos, then rollyeyes EVERYWHERE!!! AaaaaH, the HORROR the HORROR!! END IT NOOOOOOOW!!! ... .... or something like that.
I agree with Mefisutoferesu. When I said "Gamecube rules" I really meant it, but that's because Gamecube rules for me.

I don't play consoles since I ain't got an HDTV set and I'm spoiled rotten, but my kids do. And at age 5 & 8 Gamecube has by far the best titles/line-up for them.

Personally I'd probably like an Xbox2 better, but I'm holding off for the 360 & a new TV. ;)

Back