[Console Edition] Satya Nadella: "We are going to make some difficult decisions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
And even closer ties between Xbox and PC Windows 10.

A bit part of his message is diversity and reaching as many people as possible to empower as many people as possible. The living room is one facet of that. And the XBO is their best chance at Windows in the living room.

Regards,
SB

Sounds like generic corporate talk that's in nearly every corporate statement. "tough choices" "bold vision" "performing while transforming" and all that nonsense. Leave it to some to "Xbox is d000med" it.

Wouldn't it much better for MS to just focus on Win10 PC and offer their exclusive games on this platform?

Then, Sony could never compete with their playstations on a hatdware level...

More likely the end of Windows Phone.
I don't think so, telephones are essential for Universal Apps. It's an important feature. The other day a 22 years old guy was here to repair my ADSL line, which was extremely slow. While analysing the router he was using a smartphone and said that it was running slow, and I told him I had an Android too.

He said that he used to be an Android radical extremist and got tired of it and he is waiting for universal apps to use with Windows 10, Windows Phone, and get a Windows Phone, then I told him I have a Xbox One and he mentioned that all the more reason to use universal apps.

And even closer ties between Xbox and PC Windows 10.

A bit part of his message is diversity and reaching as many people as possible to empower as many people as possible. The living room is one facet of that. And the XBO is their best chance at Windows in the living room.

Regards,
SB
This is the part where it sounds strange to me, the Xbox isn't mentioned but Xbox Live.

" We will need to innovate in new areas, execute against our plans, make some tough choices in areas where things are not working and solve hard problems in ways that drive customer value."

Finally, we will build the best instantiation of this vision through our Windows device platform and our devices, which will serve to delight our customers, increase distribution of our services, drive gross margin, enable fundamentally new product categories, and generate opportunity for the Windows ecosystem more broadly. We will pursue our gaming ambition as part of this broader vision for Windows and increase its appeal to consumers. We will bring together Xbox Live and our first-party gaming efforts across PC, console, mobile and new categories like HoloLens into one integrated play.

Last edited:
In the most recent statement, Satya Nadella has explained that they are going to make some tough choices.. Is this the end of the Xbox venture? The Xbox One goes unmentioned in his statement. I have a hunch the Xbox might disappear.
I don't think they'll axe XB1 as long as its profitable. But they might stop the XB line save, as described elsewhere, as perhaps a particular model of generic Windows box.

More likely the end of Windows Phone.
That'd be pretty stupid just when they're finally getting their unified platform. Unified apps is the one and only reason I'd seriously consider switching to a Windows Phone. It's a very strong USP.

there's "console"
I'd love to see the XBox division financial details, we could see what costs and what makes money...

Would be disappointed to see Windows phone go, and so soon after they completed their purchase of Nokia.

Lumias are excellent phones, too bad they've not seen much success.

I think if MS were to have sold Xbox last year would have been the time. They've worked hard to put the Bone in a good place going into this Xmas, especially in NA. This would seem to be a 'wait and see' period for their consoles rather than a 'sell' one, IMO.

there's "console"
Maybe they're going to release stuff on PS4 (I kid, I kid - calm yourself Cyan)

I think there is absolutely no chance they will axe mobile phones, it's where the growth is these days and Microsoft certainly aren't stupid enough to get rid of it so recently after dropping a few billion buying Nokia.

Yes they are making massive losses on it, but they will be hopeful of a turn around.

I don't think they'll axe XB1 as long as its profitable. But they might stop the XB line save, as described elsewhere, as perhaps a particular model of generic Windows .

They already seem to be on that path. A customised and streamlined version of mainline Windows OS, with fixed specs might minimise risk while maximising flexibility.

so if console doesn't mean x1 then what do you think it means in this context?

pc doesn't cover living room yet, even though many of us have them in there.

phones, I think they still see the potential in them and would not drop it before seeing how well w10 does on them and as part of an overall eco system. Example even if they end up being the cheap phones/used as basic PC for emerging markets

He said that he used to be an Android radical extremist and got tired of it and he is waiting for universal apps to use with Windows 10, Windows Phone, then I told him I have a Xbox One and he mentioned that all the more reason to use universal apps.
Apps are not universal automatically. They have to be published separately. And often make changes to interface.

console yes, but Xbox One isn't referred to by name.
He could say Xbox One, and not console, because his statement clearly reads "Xbox Live" and "Windows 10", and "Hololens". They are doing an excellent job in the Xbox division now, with new features and progressing more than anyone, so it would be a shame when they have the Steam machine they could want, but I don't know..

He could say Xbox One, and not console, because his statement clearly reads "Xbox Live" and "Windows 10", and "Hololens".
Not the statement I'm reading. It says, "PC, console, mobile and...Hololens". No mention of 'Windows' at all. Mobile could mean 'bringing XBLive to iOS and Android,' but obviously it doesn't. Nadella is talking about the devices they service, so 'PC' == 'Windows PC' and 'mobile' == 'Windows phones' and 'console' == 'XBox One'. It's a lot easier to say, "PC, console, mobile," than, "Windows PC, Xbox One, Windows Mobile". There's really no need to be that specific given the context (an email to employees at MS). ;)

In fact, if you quoted the start of that statement - "Finally, we will build the best instantiation of this vision through our Windows device platform and our devices" - you perhaps wouldn't have made this interpretative mistake.

Would be disappointed to see Windows phone go, and so soon after they completed their purchase of Nokia.

I have a 532, excellent phone for 70€, but apart from the low variety of app in the store, it lacks basic phone functionalities like "i find a missed call and want to copy the number but can't".
I don't know if win10 will cover those basic tasks, but if they are fighting with blackberry for the third place in a two player game there's a reason, it's like they are still evaluating if winphone is worth the time and money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back