Console-based Oblivion = big problems?

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Was helping some folks get the game working on their PCs, over on the official forum, when I ran into this:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=752514
Hi All,

I need a bit of help here. Having owned the Xbox 360 version and loved it "despite the painfully slow loading times".. i decided to buy the Ps3 version as my Xbox became victim to the red ring of death. Now, i loved it on the Ps3 ...at first!! but the more i play it, the more things have started going wrong...and badly wrong at that..

It started with just little silly things, like not hearing the NPC's voices and strange noises followed by lag...same thing use to happen on the X360.
but of late, more and more weird things have started happening.

I have completed three quests now and have not been given the reward.. I am not new at the game and i have done all of the quests before.. and i know all the steps to take in order to get the correct end to the quest. (I should add that all the other quests so far have been fine)
but this is the second character on a second profile and still quests are playing up!

the game has now started crashing badly and making a loud screaming glitch noises during certain parts of play. as well as funny things like people swimming past me...ON A ROAD...and dead bandits hanging crucified in the middle of the road.

I am actually starting to worry about playing the game on my PS3 and TV as one of the crashes was so bad and loud the speakers sounded like they were about to pop!!

Has anyone else had these proplems with PS3 version..should i stop playing it on the PS3?? (it is really that bad)

I love playing the game, but i feel i am wasting my time playing, i cant complete Quests because of glitchs!!.. I am also really worried about my gear..

So if anyone could help me or give me some advice... it would be greatly appreciated

Many, many thanks for your time

cheers zazamoth

PS..i should also say all my other games play fine on the PS3
Now, I've heard of the loading and cache problems with the 360 version, but this sounds a lot worse. Of course, maybe the 360 has the same problems....

edit: The postscript was his, so I moved it into the quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given my experience with Bethesda games, it unfortunately wouldn't surprise me. My advice to that guy is a get a refund on the game, assuming everything else runs fine on his PS3.

Heh yeah. At least with PC you have access to a keyboard and can edit the game's files with mods. The frequently updated "Unofficial Oblivion Patch" addresses something like 1000 bugs that Bethesda can't be bothered with.

Heh yeah. At least with PC you have access to a keyboard and can edit the game's files with mods. The frequently updated "Unofficial Oblivion Patch" addresses something like 1000 bugs that Bethesda can't be bothered with.

They should have allowed non-graphics mods to be created by modders for the console versions. That would solve many bugs and also make more play the game since they could customize it to their tastes.

I bought this game day-1 release for PS3 have 5 characters with over 300 hours of playtime. 2 are mine, my brothers both have 1, and my cousin played when he came over during the summer. I've only had the game lock up on me 1 time with the screech noise. Other then that not a single problem ever.

They should have allowed non-graphics mods to be created by modders for the console versions. That would solve many bugs and also make more play the game since they could customize it to their tastes.
It'd also take Sony's vision of community involvement that one step further - the community would end up writing working versions of released games :p

Given my experience with Bethesda games, it unfortunately wouldn't surprise me. My advice to that guy is a get a refund on the game, assuming everything else runs fine on his PS3.

Bethesda has to be in the best position one can imagine as a developer. Your super-hyped game get super reviews, your super reviewed game gets super sales. And your super loyal fanboy horde fixes the bugs of the game for you!!!

Was helping some folks get the game working on their PCs, over on the official forum, when I ran into this:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=752514
Now, I've heard of the loading and cache problems with the 360 version, but this sounds a lot worse. Of course, maybe the 360 has the same problems....

edit: The postscript was his, so I moved it into the quote.

So anecdotal evidence from a pool of one means Oblivion has big problems on consoles? The thread doesn't have dozens of respondents with the same problem.

I really have no idea, this game could suck beans and be buggier than hell etc, but it seems like you're basing this on one persons report, who could quite simply have some bad ram in his ps3 or something.

I brought up the possibility of the game being a disaster based on this guy's problems because he sounds like he's played the game a lot on both 360 and PS3. There is also plenty of evidence around loading time problems and gamers having to force-clear their 360's "HDD cache" so the game will work right again.

Besides, it's actually undeniable that the game is bug-ridden. Even after patches and expansions. Otherwise there wouldn't be a user-made patch to fix a ridiculously huge number of problems. Hell, I had to do some console commands once to get out of a botched quest. I was trapped in painter world.

Although yes I suppose his problem could very well be defective hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought up the possibility of the game being a disaster based on this guy's problems because he sounds like he's played the game a lot on both 360 and PS3. There is also plenty of evidence around loading time problems and gamers having to force-clear their 360's "HDD cache" so the game will work right again.

Besides, it's actually undeniable that the game is bug-ridden. Even after patches and expansions. Otherwise there wouldn't be a user-made patch to fix a ridiculously huge number of problems. Hell, I had to do some console commands once to get out of a botched quest. I was trapped in painter world.

Although yes I suppose his problem could very well be defective hardware.

I honestly don't see how any of that is console specific really, all I really was questioning was the title for your thread.

Bethesda software = bug ridden would be a better title, but I suppose that would have got you 100 replies of 'duh'.

Really?

In my experience with this sort of thing is that when hardware is defective, it doesn't run anything at all.

I've had plenty of partial hardware failures, however not on consoles, so I really don't know if what's possible to make it though their startup.

I've had plenty of partial hardware failures, however not on consoles, so I really don't know if what's possible to make it though their startup.

Don't get me wrong, every now and then with my pc a part of two gets ****ed if its the GPU games stop working period. IF its the CPU nothing will boot. Instead of giving anything remotely similar to the problems described the post.

Back