Conservative Voxelization?

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
I was messing around with Google looking up terms and trying to learn more about them and came upon these old papers:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00371-007-0149-0?LI=true

We propose a novel hardware-accelerated voxelization algorithm for polygonal models. Compared with previous approaches, our algorithm has a major advantage that it guarantees the conservative correctness in voxelization: every voxel intersecting the input model is correctly recognized. This property is crucial for applications like collision detection, occlusion culling and visibility processing. We also present an efficient and robust implementation of the algorithm in the GPU. Experiments show that our algorithm has a lower memory consumption than previous approaches and is more efficient when the volume resolution is high. In addition, our algorithm requires no preprocessing and is suitable for voxelizing deformable models.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, if the industry is headed in this direction or not, etc.

I mean this sounds like a conservative rasterization but for Voxels? Will this be of any use? It's date is really old, looking at June of 2007

This can be very helpful. When UE4 was focusing greatly on dynamic GI, a big part of their solution involved finding ways to get conservative voxelization out of the gpus it was targeting. Conservative rasterization would already have helped there. "Automatically" conservative voxelization would go even greater lenghts in making the whole thing more viable.

Back