Connecting my 20GB PS3 to a wireless Network

Hekmat

Newcomer
Hey all,

First off, I wasn't quite sure where the best place was to post this, but I didn't notice a more suitable section, so here I am.

Anyway, I've been having some trouble connecting my 20GB PS3 (So no native wifi) to my wireless network. As things stand now, the main router is connected to the computer on the floor below my room. Inside my room, I have a computer with a usb wireless network receiver attached, and my PS3. The connecter is a D-Link 802.11g/2.4Ghz adapter (I also have a spare I found lying around the house).

Unfortunately when I plug the spare into my PS3, it isn't detected (which isn't surprising I assume since theres no drivers for the ps3). I'm sure I'm going about this all wrong, so if anyone could give me some tips on what to buy, and/or do, to get the PS3 online, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a game adapter like so and just plug it in...... select the non wireless option under network connections and proceed.....

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183093921&sr=1-1

41PZ8ZKPQAL._AA280_.jpg

I hope this helps.....

Well, those game adapters are just wireless bridges. They tend to be overpriced, though, considering they do less work than a wireless router but cost more. The device linked above, for example, maxes out at 11mbps which would be OK for gaming, but not very good if you're interested in streaming media across your network to the PS3. I'd buy a cheap Buffalo Router that supports DD-WRT. DD-WRT is a replacement firmware that exposes a lot of functionality you wont get from any stock router. They go for about $40, support faster wireless standards and are pretty easy to put into bridge mode. You're be able to plug in up to five wired devices, so your PS3 plus anything else you might someday have in you entertainment center. And if your networking needs change in the future, hey you've got another fully functional router if you need it.

Well, those game adapters are just wireless bridges. They tend to be overpriced, though, considering they do less work than a wireless router but cost more. The device linked above, for example, maxes out at 11mbps which would be OK for gaming, but not very good if you're interested in streaming media across your network to the PS3. I'd buy a cheap Buffalo Router that supports DD-WRT. DD-WRT is a replacement firmware that exposes a lot of functionality you wont get from any stock router. They go for about $40, support faster wireless standards and are pretty easy to put into bridge mode. You're be able to plug in up to five wired devices, so your PS3 plus anything else you might someday have in you entertainment center. And if your networking needs change in the future, hey you've got another fully functional router if you need it.

Never thought of that, but that's actually a really good suggestion.

I really don't understand the interest in wireless for a stational console like the ps3.

If I had a console and I used it for online (gaming, etc) then I would want to use wireless as well. First off my router is in the computer room and running a cable to the living room would take around 50 feet (15~ meters) of cable, second that would just look bad with a cable running that distance. Now some people may have their house wired with this in mind, but rarely do people do this. I also do not want to pull up carpet for a lot of reasons. Therefore wireless makes the most sense by far.

I really don't understand the interest in wireless for a stational console like the ps3.
It's a huge selling point for me. I want to play online against my friends. to do that with PS2 I'd have to route it through the PC. Not really convenient and very wasteful, with the PC acting as a 200 Watt wireless adaptor! I'd have to mess about with firewalls and junk too. No thanks! (and that's ignoring the cost of a network adaptor which can only be got on eBay these days).

One of the reasons for me considering a PSP was for wireless network play. I gave up on that idea when I learnt the number of titles with online co-op are minimal. I even had a moments thought that if I got a Wii, that'd be wireless. Though of course Nintendo don't give a rat's arse about online, so it's not a good machine in that regard (plus on the whole the games don't appeal). One of the big attractions to me for PS3 is wireless networking out of the box, no hassles. It's not £400 worth of attraction, but it's an attraction nonetheless.

If you don't have the console in the same room as your router, or you're unhappy to have huge lengths of CAT5 lying around, wireless networking is a major plus-point.

It's a huge selling point for me. I want to play online against my friends. to do that with PS2 I'd have to route it through the PC. Not really convenient and very wasteful, with the PC acting as a 200 Watt wireless adaptor! I'd have to mess about with firewalls and junk too. No thanks! (and that's ignoring the cost of a network adaptor which can only be got on eBay these days).

One of the reasons for me considering a PSP was for wireless network play. I gave up on that idea when I learnt the number of titles with online co-op are minimal. I even had a moments thought that if I got a Wii, that'd be wireless. Though of course Nintendo don't give a rat's arse about online, so it's not a good machine in that regard (plus on the whole the games don't appeal). One of the big attractions to me for PS3 is wireless networking out of the box, no hassles. It's not £400 worth of attraction, but it's an attraction nonetheless.

If you don't have the console in the same room as your router, or you're unhappy to have huge lengths of CAT5 lying around, wireless networking is a major plus-point.

I guess not everyone lives in a one room student apartment like me :oops:

If I had a console and I used it for online (gaming, etc) then I would want to use wireless as well. First off my router is in the computer room and running a cable to the living room would take around 50 feet (15~ meters) of cable, second that would just look bad with a cable running that distance. Now some people may have their house wired with this in mind, but rarely do people do this. I also do not want to pull up carpet for a lot of reasons. Therefore wireless makes the most sense by far.

Exactly. The modem and router are in my bedroom. It's impractical to run cat 5 to the living room in my apartment. So I had a converted router acting as a 5 port wireless bridge at my entertainment center. It's how my HTPC connects. I've found it a lot more reliable than a USB wireless adapter. I've got another PC I'm going to set up as a headless FreeNAS server out there as well (so I don't have to listen to the fans when I'm trying to sleep). And I've got three ports left for any consoles I may have in the future.

As an aside, the buffalo router I recommend was in the Best Buy ad Sunday for $35. Installing DD-WRT can be a little tricky since it requires a tfpt transfer, but it just takes persistence to get the timing right.

Back