Configure your Cache under WinXP 512K/1MB ( Easy steps )

rainz

Veteran
2 Techs told me to modify this for the cache ( some bugs under WinXP )and for the memory utilization ( using the memory in some case beside the virtual mem ).

Go in your Registry Editor ( Start / Run / type REGEDIT )

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
---SYSTEM
-----CurrentControlSet
-------Control
---------Session Manager
-----------Memory Management

2 Things under Memory Manement

1) SecondLevelDataCache
1024 Decimal
(if you have 512K put 512 as well)

2) DisablePagingExecutive
1 Hexadecimal

Well .. First of all .. I was kinda suspicious but oh well .. what i have to loose.. I tried this out ... 5 times 3dmark2003 / 5 times 3dmark2001 / 5 times aquamark ... all the same scores.. no real gain .. BUT ... i saw a difference in Far Cry and BFvietnam on the net ..

Give it a try.

RainZ

DisablePagingExecutive should have zero effect on game play.
All that does is prevent the kernel and kernel mode drivers, etc from being paged to disk when not in use.

As for the other setting:
SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache.

This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches. SecondLevelDataCache can increase performance by approximately 2 percent in certain cases for older computers with ample memory (more than 64 MB) by scattering physical pages better in the address space so there are not so many L2 cache collisions. Setting SecondLevelDataCache to 256 KB rather than 2 MB (when the computer has a 2 MB L2 cache) would probably have about a 0.4 percent performance penalty.

It is useless for your later than p2 processor.

Back