Conan rules!

*snicker* In the long run, I believe NBC is going to find they screwed themselves with this one.

I hope he get's a new show I like the guy. Ironically Will Ferrel was his first quest in the Late Night show and he said jokingly to Conan that you won't last.

I don't understand the reasoning behind all this. Jay Leno's show is painfully unfunny. And the problem seemed to be that his ratings were so low that nobody was watching come time for The Tonight Show. So the solution is to promote him?

Leno had two years longer than Conan on his contract and thus, I'm guessing, more severe penalty clauses. Some story I read called Leno's contract 'ironclad', while they would have been sorta' not in breach by pushing the Tonight Show to five past midnight. Seems they were hoping to keep both, but paying Conan and staff $50 million to go away must still have seemed more desirable to them than loosing affiliates (said to be happening with Leno at 10 P.M.) or dropping Leno.

I always loved Leno doing the tonight show, he had a sense of humor that appealed to me. Of course, his style's rather disneyfied, trying hard not to offend ANYbody etc, but he was still funny as hell IMO and I was sad to hear he was going to retire, as it was reported where I live. Then I learned he wasn't gonna retire at all, but get another show and whatnot, but that's kind of a sidetrack really...

Conan's a damn funny guy too, and I can't help thinking NBC are a bunch of fricken maroons to panic over ratings only a few months after the show changed hands. Leno did the tonight show for what... 20 fricken years? Of course it takes time for people to adjust, and for the show to settle in a smooth groove.

I haven't actually watched the show with Conan at the helm, because it's a cable channel that has broadcasting rights around here nowadays, and I don't have cable anymore since I watch so little TV. Pretty much just the evening news, and that's it.

They should have asked Conan to move to 10pm. Conan would be a better lead in for Jay Leno than vice versa. Leno sucks. Actually, they should have just cancelled Jay and put a good show on at 10pm to lead into Conan's show.

It's a shame he won't be going back to Late Night with Conan O'Brien, as the new guy on Late Night SUCKS MAJOR DONKEY NADS...

Conan was at his best on Late Night when he had more free rein over what skits he could do.

NBC/Comcast are freaking idiots to let him go.

Regards,
SB

I agree. It is lame to let Conan go. I am not sure if NBC is doing it as a stunt to get ratings up or what...but not a good move. Anything finalized on where Conan is going to end up?

I agree. It is lame to let Conan go. I am not sure if NBC is doing it as a stunt to get ratings up or what...but not a good move. Anything finalized on where Conan is going to end up?

No, but he finalized his settlement and I think his last day is either this Friday or next.

Yeah, at least he got a good settlement not only for him but for his entire staff.

Look for him on Fox in the fall, that's the latest rumor of where he'll end up. NBC just can't do anything right anymore.

Regards,
SB

They actually canned him?

Maroons.

What has Leno said about all of this? Isn't he the guy who wanted Conan to succeed him?

Yeah, NBC used to be my favorite network station, but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

While I hoped Leno was going to be successful at 10pm I thought he only did that because he was planning on retiring and NBC convinced him to give it a try.

IE - I figured Conan would be the Tonight Show host until he quit regardless of how well Leno did at 10pm.

Regards,
SB

I hope CO gets his own show on Fox or some other network. I used to watch him on Late Night and he did a good job which was a pretty tough job after David Letterman left for CBS.

I like Conan more so than most of them. The funny thing is that watching Conan to see what was going on I would keep kimmel on and I found I liked his show alot. So there ya go

Does anyone know/remember when the episode was aired and who were the quests, where Conan first brought up the cancellation of the show?

So he went out playing the guitar with Will Ferrel dressed as Ronnie Van Zant singing Free Bird. Yes.

Back